Carbon Fiber iPhone Bumper = Awesome

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by JasonH, Jul 4, 2010.

1. JasonH macrumors member

Hey guys, check out this carbon fiber goodness! Possibly the best looking iPhone so far? You decide.

http://carbonbumper.com/

2. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

looks nice in the photo... but you'll have to be pretty good at applying the decal to your bumper otherwise it'll probably look like crap

3. Amnesia87 macrumors 6502

You can't really call it a bumper, it's just a sticker, no real protection, though in theory it could help with reception.

4. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

5. forza1976 macrumors regular

Looks pretty nice, but to be honest I'd rather have a regular bumper to protect the edges of the glass. This really serves no purpose other than to look sharp.

6. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

$80 for a case made out of a little bit of aluminum? Absurd!

7. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

$80?

8. pasipple macrumors 6502a

pasipple

$99 with the carbon fiber back. Gets more absurd!

9. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

The accessory board would be a better place for this.

Also, not a fan.

10. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

The title of this thread isn't "cheapest" case.

You get what you pay for and "awesome," most often than not, is most frequently priced accordingly.

11. BBQ BOY macrumors regular

I don't care. That case looks great. I may splurge for one.
    Nothing else out there tickles my fancy.
    If only you guys knew how much I spend on knives and even guns.

12. diabolic macrumors 68000

If only the Vapor 4 didn't have that big ugly "Vapor 4" engraved in the side it might be really nice.

13. Espo macrumors 6502

I could not agree with you more... but when it coms to iPhone cases... an 80$ case is not worth it...

Explain to me why an $80 case is so 'awesome' and a <$30 case can't do?

14. Espo macrumors 6502

True. It's as if they want to show off their name and expect others to know...

If it said LV, D&G or maybe Gucci then it's different (not saying that would be appealing).

15. ntrigue macrumors 68040

ntrigue

I wouldn't hand them $10. The site is makeshift. They talk about an install video that doesn't exist.

16. Brien macrumors 68020

Brien

Well, while "you get what you pay for" holds true a lot of the time, there is a point where the snob effect takes over and you're just wasting your money. That being said, small-scale CNC'ing of aluminum isn't cheap, so at $80/unit they probably aren't making a ton of profit.

17. uiop. macrumors 68020

uiop.

Let's be clear- this isn't real carbon fiber. It's a sticker that's made to look like carbon fiber. You can buy 3M Di-Noc carbon fiber in bulk from carbonfibergear.com for much cheaper than what these a$$ clowns are trying to sell you a couple square inches for. And they call it a bumper. It's a sticker. Ooooh ahhhhh but this is the first "computer cut" "carbon fiber" bumper. My ass.

18. G4R2 macrumors 6502a

I think the pictures speak for themselves.

Certainly a $30 bumper will do but that, once again, isn't the criteria. I wouldn't describe the one listed here as " awesome" by a long shot.

The Vapor 4 is a far more impressive design and more proximal to what can be considered "awesome" for a bumper.

Whether it's worth it or not is another discussion completely that has nothing to do with aesthetics and more to do with the available finances and desires of the potential customer.

19. jacollins macrumors 6502a

Ah, I was curious how they got around the electrical conductivity of the carbon fiber... Easy, they don't use it... :)

20. Apple-NoEscape macrumors 6502

I would live that element vapor case, but they had to ruin it by printing their name down the side. That would of impressed me if I was still 12.

21. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

I'm so down. That's slick.

22. TruckdriverSean macrumors 6502a

If I were brave (or goofy) enough to carry an iPhone naked, this is the way I'd do it. Very nice.
    :)

23. iMetalG5 macrumors 6502a

the most preposterous thing I have ever seen. I guess to anyone that has expendable cash or someone that just has to have it will buy this. Yeah its a cool design but if you look at the price of this thing i mean... I can think of so many other cool things to get with the cost of this so called "case".

24. Rooskibar03 macrumors 65816

Rooskibar03

It's called personal choice. It's the same reason some of us spent twice this much on a case for our ipads.

I think it adds a very cool industrial design element to the iPhone. I also like the design of the IP4 better then all others but feel it's not going to protect from much in the event of a fall.