Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanceyM

macrumors newbie
Jul 18, 2009
FL
the most preposterous thing I have ever seen. I guess to anyone that has expendable cash or someone that just has to have it will buy this. Yeah its a cool design but if you look at the price of this thing i mean... I can think of so many other cool things to get with the cost of this so called "case".

Yeah I ordered one. I kept looking and then just decided what the heck. I just thought it's only money and it looks so cool especially with the carbon fiber back. When it finlly comes in I'll post pics if someone else hasn't. Who knows when it will finally arrive since all you can do at this point it pre order.

Apple-NoEscape

macrumors 6502
Mar 25, 2010
United Kingdom
Yeah I ordered one. I kept looking and then just decided what the heck. I just thought it's only money and it looks so cool especially with the carbon fiber back. When it finlly comes in I'll post pics if someone else hasn't. Who knows when it will finally arrive since all you can do at this point it pre order.

I just want someone to buy one to see if you can rub the 'VAPOR' on the side off with rubbing alchohol/paint thinner or something. If that was the case I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Also won't the aluminium mess with the signal even more?

jkrutch

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2008
I can too. And I already have those. So I'm extremely interested in this case. :)

Well said! +1.

I love carbon fiber. I have it in my car and a few other cool things. Is the CF back real or the sticker? I won't do fake CF on anything. The cost of the case is irrelevant if you really love it. Life's short...enjoy it.

elistan

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2007
Denver/Boulder, CO
Also won't the aluminium mess with the signal even more?

Ah, yes, key point there. While the water in our bodies absorbs microwaves to an extent, aluminum blocks them altogether? (Wrap you phone in foil and watch it show No Service when you take it out. :) ) So I'd be interesting in seeing some real-world testing with this case. It could render the phone unusable. :(

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
there is another thread about the vapor case, and the same thing was said "remove vapor from the side and i am sold" I know that a handful of people said they sent an email asking if they could order one without it and i believe the answer was yes.

nlpamg

macrumors member
Jul 27, 2008
you guys probably won't believe me, but real CF degrades any sort of signal and greatly interferes with it.

I had a REAL CF case for my iPhone 3G (http://www.pyspeed.com/Carbon-Fiber-iPhone-3G-3GS-Case-p/rd-8027.htm). it's real CF and you can see and feel that it's authentic stuff. it's very thin so as you'd think that it would be unobtrusive.

well, my signal SUCKED when it was on the phone. it killed my 3G and voice signal greatly. furthermore, the GPS was thrown off.

another test, I have comfort access (keyless, buttonless entry) for my car. when my key was in the same pocket as the iPhone with the CF case, my car couldn't recognize me, it was getting the signal from my key.

it wasn't just me. a couple of my other buddies also purchased the same case and discovered exactly what I found.

so, if you guys want to get a real CF bumper for your iPhone, then go right ahead, you'll destroy your signal since you're covering up the antenna with CF.

but, this "cf" bumper that they're using 3M diNoc material for, since it's basically a pre-cut decal, I doubt it will interfere with reception much.

The Mad Hatter

macrumors 6502a
Oct 12, 2004
SoCal
there is another thread about the vapor case, and the same thing was said "remove vapor from the side and i am sold" I know that a handful of people said they sent an email asking if they could order one without it and i believe the answer was yes.

I'm sure the "without" option would be needed to get that logo off it. Since I don't think thinner or whatever can remove laser etching (going by the description.)

Impressive case though (but I do think the aircraft aluminum will play havoc on reception.)

br0adband

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2006
The Vapor 4 bumper has a great looking industrial design and is available in carbon fiber:

http://www.elementcase.com/

Holy crap that's awesome...

And for those choking on that $80 price, did you choke on the $29 price of the "plastic and rubber" Bumper from Apple? One would think this aluminum one and the engineering that went into creating it are worthy of the cost...

If money wasn't an object I'd probably have that very "case" myself but but but... :D

Now I have to wonder about the composition considering that it's just another conductor like the metal/steel band of the iPhone 4 itself ... Hrmmm... :(

army91c

macrumors 6502a
Mar 9, 2009
It's called personal choice. It's the same reason some of us spent twice this much on a case for our ipads. I think it adds a very cool industrial design element to the iPhone. I also like the design of the IP4 better then all others but feel it's not going to protect from much in the event of a fall.

I agree. Why do others care what some spend their money on..... never really understood that. If joe blow wants to drop $100 for a case then more power to him.... it's none of my business. IF Vapor leaves off their stupid logo/name I would be willing to get one.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
I think its a very slick item, but I would wait for some real world reviews before purchasing. There is a reason why the first gen phones had a plastic bottom. The aluminum bumper, while it probably will solve the antenna issue, may block the signal to some degree as well.

SheepNutz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2007
Kantuckee
After watching the install video and how forgiving the adhesive is (it's not that strong at all), I would think that the carbon fiber would easily slide off the phone after it goes in and out of a pants pocket a couple of times. That is, unless the adhesive cures itself to the side of the phone.

braddick

macrumors 68040
Jun 28, 2009
Encinitas, CA
I'm sure the "without" option would be needed to get that logo off it. Since I don't think thinner or whatever can remove laser etching (going by the description.)

Impressive case though (but I do think the aircraft aluminum will play havoc on reception.)

Their website claims there will soon be an option for "custom engraving" so perhaps it can be ordered without anything.
I too agree if that was the case I'd probably order one. the lime green and aluminum looks fierce.

dccorona

macrumors 68020
Jun 12, 2008

they claim there is some super secret liner between the case in the phone that keeps it from interfering with signal...only time will tell

iMetalG5

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2005
Well I'll wait and see what others have to say about it once it's released. Maybe I'll change my mind and buy one. For now I'm sticking to the CandyShell. I returned my black bumper already. Not worth the $30 at all. Although I should be receiving a knock off for free so we'll see how good that one is. If it's good then the bumper definitely is not worth the money.

Moshe1010

macrumors 6502a
Jun 27, 2010
for $80 you can do full insurance to your iPhone including drop and water protection, buying a case or a bumper for $80 it's kind of ridicules.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.