Carpel Tunnel sux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Sep 23, 2009.

1. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So the doctor diagnosed that I have carpel tunnel syndrome in both wrists. Good news is that its mild. Bad news is I have to wear these wrist splints until the symptoms subside.

Its nearly impossible to type with a wrist splint on.

Beats the alternative (pain), I suppose 20+ years of working in IT has caught up to me. :(

2. Str8edgepunker macrumors 6502

Well I'm going for surgery on October 1st to get both of my wrists done. I've got moderate to severe CTS in both of them but fortunately there's no nerve damage yet so I should be alright once the surgery is done and I heal up. From what I've learned and what my doctor told me, it's not so much how much you use your wrists, its more from genetics as some people are predisposed to developing CTS. My dad had CTS in both wrists as well and I'm using the same doc that did his almost 15 years ago. :D Also, I mainly wear wrist splints to bed because that pain is what wakes me up in the middle of the night.

Not to turn this into a political/health care thread, but I was fortunate enough through my insurance carrier that I didn't have to get an Electromyography or have an injection into my wrist before surgery. I *hate* needles and would not have done well with those as with the injection, they have to go all the way into the nerve and then an EMG is its own version of pain.

3. AngryApple macrumors 6502

I came to this thread thinking it was Carpal Tunnel Sex and not sux. I am thoroughly disappointed.

4. caligurl macrumors 68030

caligurl

i wear one of those wrist braces when i'm on the computer! beats surgury (even though carpal tunnel surgery is outpatient... it's still surgery and would put a crimp on working out and bike riding! :eek:)

i got a lt grey one (it's specifically for women) so it' slow key... unobtrusive...

my mom had carpel tunnel... twice! first time, years ago she was cut open and it was awful! out of commission for a while! the second time, just a few year ago... she was done and better in no time!

5. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Ive been on computers daily for about 20 years and have yet to have problems *xfings* I imagine those 500+ hour months online gaming when I was young during the summer are going to catch up with me soon.

6. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

I had it for awhile, what helps is proper posture (don't rest your wrist on anything), plus

Exercise the hands and wrists with
    - squeeze balls, available in workout or
    - putty piano players use to strengthen the hands
    Seriously, they really help.

7. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I have a bout of Cubital Tunnel last year (stems from the elbow), which affects a whole lot of shizzle in your arms. Not had Carpel yet which is a bit miraculous considering I do my work, rest and play on various computers, and have been typing since I was 5 or so with my Amiga.

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

I've wondered how much more of this kind of problem we will see in the future with my generation and younger having basically grown up using computers.

In 20 years will it be odd to not have carpal tunnel?

9. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I have had the surgery on my left wrist. Best thing I have done. No more problems with it since. If my right wrist does the same I am not going to hesitate on getting it done. Soooo much better.

And yes it does suck. I agree. It used to wake me up in the middle of night all the time. Hand would be numb and I wouldn't even be sleeping on it. Yeah it sucked big time.

You can get have it go away, you just have to stop what you are doing for an extended period of time. Which for some is not an option.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I had it in my right hand. Good that you caught it early. The splints will get rid of it. Mine went away. It's important to learn how to type with the splints on. It sounds like you might be one of those people who types with your wrists resting on the laptop. Learn not to do this. That's a big part of the problem. Also, get an ergonomic mouse.

11. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I actually type with my wrists in a fairly neutral position and the keyboard is an arms length away. I hate those keyboard drawers with a passion and like the keyboard not so close to me.

Typing with the splint is a royal pain in the behind. At least I only need the splint on my left hand. The symptoms in the past usually have subsided in a few days, this time its been going in for a while. At least its a good excuse not to rake the yard :)

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Really? I had no trouble typing at all. It was actually very comfortable. What happened to me is that my thumb went numb on one side. That was scary. It went away after about a month of wearing the splint. It's pretty weird how fast it goes away. Just keep the splint in case it happens again.

13. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I think I'm having issues typing is because I move my hand to type not my fingers (I know that sounds weird). The splint restricts my hand from moving so I need to type solely by finger movement.

Knowing how this will help, I'm determined to keep it on. I've gotten used to sleeping with it on, now I just need to get used to typing with it.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh- so you move your wrist? Yeah, that's not good. I would keep wearing it til you get used to typing that way. It'll help with prevention.

15. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

I had that really bad in my left arm a few years ago. I woke up one morning and two fingers were completely numb. It lasted for several months, and still comes back every once in a while. I had a small bout with it last week, those fingers were numb for a morning or two.

16. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Isn't that weird? My thumb went numb when I was laying on the couch.

Do yourself a favor and get a splint. It helps a lot.

17. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

For cubital tunnel, it's the pinkie and ring fingers. I had to wear a elbow brace that kept my arm straight while I slept. I don't have it anymore, so hopefully it doesn't come back again. (I think it had more to do with my sleeping conditions last week than anything, I was living on a cot.)

18. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Speaking of computer related injuries (well this really isn't an injury but it looks weird) does anyone else get callouses where your wrist pivots against the table when moving the mouse around?

19. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Not me. I normally don't rest my wrist on the table.

20. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

I used to have my whole hand would go number or my index and middle finger would go numb. The splints do help. For me, the surgery worked wonders. But I have been using the splint on my right hand. So far no complaints.

21. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Ouch! That sucks! Good luck.

I wouldn't keep doing that, zombie. That's the kind of thing that will get you what we've all had.

22. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Thread Revived

I've got possibly two things going on, swimming, I'm noticing some tenderness in left shoulder, down through elbow and sometimes forearm and lately I've been playing quit a bit of a game where I'm pressing, and holding buttons down (run key). First off I need to get auto run mapped. :) I also identified resting the wrist on the table while using a keyboard is bad. For swimming I have a strap which I wear on occasion when For upper arm tenderness.

I'm wondering if these two activities compound the problem, both adding separate elements? Or it swimming might help wrist pain, but contribute to shoulder pain?

23. ItsNotaTumor macrumors member

ItsNotaTumor

I had CT and Tendonitis in my left hand and right hand/wrist/arm (the worst in my right) for years - caused by a mix of playing three different instruments at the same time. I couldn't hold a pencil or turn a doorknob at my worst state. 4 Years of physical therapy and massage eventually broke the pain. I do occasionally have some issues in my hands - and weakness is always there- but it took a lot of patience to get back to a livable state. I do however not play my cello very often because of the trauma. it hurts too much.

24. maflynn thread starter Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Not for nothing, while I created this thread some 7 1/2 years ago, my carpel tunnel is completely gone. I attribute my taking karate as the cure. It increased my forearm strengths, and the Jujitsu we use in my school as increased the flexibility of my wrists dramatically. I cannot believe how at one point, I couldn't rake the leaves in my yard.

25. Solomani macrumors 68030

Solomani

Did he suggest taking the occasional NSAIDs for the pain?

EDIT: whoops! Replied to a 7-year old thread. Haha! Delete.