Carpel Tunnel sux

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by maflynn, Sep 23, 2009.

1. Huntn, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I'm also noticing I sleep on my side, and frequently I rest my arm/hand (the up shoulder), on the bed with my wrist bent like a prop. For the last couple of days I've been using a wrap around wrist strap which helps, but I've ordered a more substantial brace and one intended for wearing while sleeping.

My impression is that the following helps mostly for the onset of symptions, not for advanced carpel tunnel, but don't know for sure. Found this yesterday: (LINK)

Carpal Tunnel Exercises

1. Make a fist. Slide your fingers upward until they are pointing up straight. Repeat five to 10 times.

2. Make a fist. Release your hand and fan out your fingers, stretching them as far as you can. Repeat five to 10 times.

Plus this:
    Workstation Exercises
    Stretches for Fingers, Wrist, and Forearms
    Finger Exercise
    1. Make a fist; ensuring thumb is straight, not tucked under fingers (1a).
    2. Slide fingertips up palm, tips of fingers moving towards base of fingers, until stretch is felt (1b).
    3. Hold for slow count of 10.
    4. Repeat 3 – 5 times.
    [​IMG]
    Wrist Stretch Exercise
    1. With hand open and facing down, move wrist from side to side, until stretch is felt at each extreme.
    2. Hold each for slow count of 10.
    3. Repeat 3 – 5 times.
    [​IMG]
    Wrist Rotate Exercise
    1. With elbow held close in to side of body, slowly rotate palm upwards and then downwards until stretch is felt at each extreme.
    3. Repeat 3 – 5 times.
    [​IMG]
    Wrist Bend Exercise
    1. Holding upper part of hand with other hand, slowly bend wrist down and then upwards until stretch is felt at each extreme.
    3. Repeat 3 – 5 times.
    [​IMG]
    Forearm Exercise
    1. Sitting with elbows out and palms together, slowly rotate palms down until stretch is felt.
    2. Hold for slow count of 10.
    3. Repeat 3 – 5 times.
    [​IMG]

And have used this for years:
    Finger Wrist Active Release Arm Ex2.jpg

2. smirking, Mar 7, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 7, 2017

smirking macrumors 68020

smirking

So, I should start by stating that I used to be a physical therapist so I have a better background in ergonomics and these kind of injuries than most people. I also have RSI and I've dealt with a lot of my own hand injury issues.

First, don't confuse general arm or wrist pain with carpal tunnel. To most people, the terms are interchangable. They are not. Most people who think they have carpal tunnel either have tendinitis or some other overuse injury. True carpal tunnel is actually not that common, especially in men. What you've got going on could be anything so I'm not even going to try to make a guess.

Maflynn beat his hand pain issues. I've almost beat mine, but what's worked for us isn't likely to work for you because all three of us probably have something different. There's a lot of ways you can end up with hand pain.

I'd tell you to go see a doctor, but if you actually have some kind of hand injury that involves your nerves being compressed or irritated, most doctors are a complete crapshoot and there's no test that you get have done that will tell you that it's definitely this or it's definitely that.

While it's very hard to identify what you've got there's one piece of advice that I can give and it's something that'll apply far and wide to these kind of injuries. If you have reason to believe that something you're doing is making the pain worse, stop doing it. Take a break from it and see if it heals. If it does and it returns after you go back to what you were doing, then try to do what you were doing differently. Yeah, do a map for autorun or try a different style of keyboard or try using a more comfortable chair.

Once you're injured and you keep doing things excessively, no ergonomic device, treatment, splint, or exercise is going to keep you healthy. Ultimately, you're gonna have to learn moderation.

BTW, those exercises you posted are useful to try. If it helps, keep doing them. Chronic hand injuries are notoriously hard to treat. Try lots of different things to see if you can identify a pattern to as to what works for you.

3. Huntn macrumors P6

Huntn

I appreciate the input! These exercises do help and I do think it's a combination problem, swimming = elbow shoulder, computer use= wrist carpel tunnel related, at least that's my guess. It's not bad enough to see a doctor and so far it appears that these type exercises in combination with handy arm strap and just cutting back seems to offer relief. The last time Inwas plguescwith a wrist problem was when I decided to edit 100+ family photos. o_O

4. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

I had RSI. Doctor said that tendons going through the carpal tunnel were rubbing against the bones of the tunnel while writing. This was occurring because while typing my wrist was at an angle, thus rubbing the tendons against one side of the tunnel. This leads to swelling and irritation of the tendons, then numbness and pain.

He told me to do three things, and indeed it cleared right up. They were:
    1. Change my ergonomics such that my wrists when typing are flat and straight, not bent in any direction
    2. Take anti-inflammatories that he prescribed (ibuprofin in my case)
    3. Wear wrist braces whenever possible throughout the day and night to give the tendons a chance to heal
    After a couple of weeks I was able to stop #2 and #3. #1 will have to remain for a lifetime.

I can still get a little bit of both numbness and pain (what a weird mixture) if I type too vigorously for too long or really do any kind of repetitive hand work. Gardening has to be done in small sessions. Screwdrivers are almost completely out for me--I get maybe 10 seconds at most before there is pain.