CarPlay Scores 85% Customer Satisfaction Rate in Limited Study

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 20, 2017.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone owners are largely satisfied with Apple's CarPlay, according to a new report from market research firm Strategy Analytics.

[​IMG]

The report is available to Strategy Analytics clients only, but author Chris Schreiner shared some of his findings with MacRumors.

31 percent of users said they were "very satisfied" with CarPlay, while 54 percent said they were "satisfied," for an overall customer satisfaction rate of 85 percent. However, the report only looked at 70 owners of 2016-2017 vehicles with CarPlay installed in the United States, which is a rather small sample size.

43 percent of those users are "very likely" to recommend CarPlay to others, while 37 percent are "likely" to recommend it, said Strategy Analytics. Those with CarPlay were likely to use it for "all or most" of their in-car infotainment needs, often in favor of their vehicle's standard system, according to the report.

70 percent of participants with both CarPlay and a built-in navigation system in their car said they choose CarPlay with Apple Maps most or all of the time over their vehicle's standard system. 59 percent of the people said they use CarPlay for audio needs most or all of the time over their vehicle's radio.

"Given Apple's continued updates to CarPlay enhancing the experience further, and car-makers' inability to do the same along with their long development times, CarPlay is poised to handle the vast majority of consumers' in-vehicle needs," said Schreiner, Director of Syndicated Research at Strategy Analytics.

While customer satisfaction with CarPlay might be strong, Apple's in-car software platform is far from perfect.

Last month, a side-by-side test of CarPlay and Android Auto showed Siri was often unable to properly interpret what the driver was saying, which in one case led Apple Maps to incorrectly navigate him to an address in Tennessee rather than Toronto. Android Auto, meanwhile, interpreted voice commands correctly.

Video courtesy of YouTube channel The Straight Pipes via Daring Fireball

CarPlay continues to improve in other areas. In iOS 10.3, for example, Apple provided drivers with a quicker and safer way to switch between apps without having to take their eyes off the road for long periods of time. Wireless CarPlay is also now available in select BMW models, or with Alpine's aftermarket system.

Apple is also rumored to be working on "enhanced" Siri capabilities for the iPhone, and those improvements would likely extend to CarPlay.

CarPlay is now available in over 200 vehicle models in the United States, enabling drivers to make and receive calls, access text messages, play music, get directions, check traffic conditions, and more with Siri voice commands and on-screen controls. The platform requires an iPhone 5 or newer.

Aftermarket systems are available from brands such as Alpine, Kenwood, and Pioneer for do-it-yourself CarPlay installations.

Article Link: CarPlay Scores 85% Customer Satisfaction Rate in Limited Study

2. Shaun, UK macrumors 68030

Apple can add as many new features to Siri as they want but if it doesn't understand what you're saying it's still useless.

3. whatgift macrumors newbie

I'm new to Carplay, finding it works really well, and have no problems with Siri at all!

What it needs for me is to allow third party navigation apps, then it will be awesome!

4. JPLC macrumors 6502

I have experienced the same in my native language (Dutch) with Siri while OK Google on my smartwatch understands everything the first time and also answers almost every question with accurate information instead of showing Google results.

I know, Siri was there first and mindblowing in the beginning but the truth is that Googles AI is way up front now. Leaves me behind waiting and wishing for a smarter Siri. On my iPhone, right now, I've turned Siri off beacase the more basic voice command function in iOS works better and doesn't need an internet connection to make voice command phonecalls.

5. mi7chy macrumors 68030

mi7chy

Marketing research companies are a dime a dozen these days. I'm sure you can bid to get an even higher than 85% rating.

6. SomicMouse macrumors newbie

SomicMouse

85%?!

Then those 85% haven't used it all that much or they are so Apple-blind that nothing Apple does could ever be bad.

I use it twice a day: to and from work. One hour drive each way.

For example, after 6 months of continuous use, I have learned to not bother with trying to respond to texts. It always ends up with me super frustrated and the person (if it even responds to the right one) calling me because they have no idea what I'm trying to tell them.

Don't even get me started with Maps.

It's a half-baked feature and Apple doesn't care. It will eventually go the way of the Mac.

7. Sulliyvan macrumors newbie

Sulliyvan

COMPLETELY UNFAIR AND FAILED TEST!!!

Jacub W. pronounced "Yacub(p) using Siri, THEN pronouncing it "Jacob" on Android will OBVIOUSLY work in Androids favor.
    I guarantee Android Auto would also have no idea who "Yacub(p)" is!

Wow, I am shocked how unfair that test was.
    Seriously, use Android Auto, make a contact for Jacub and ask it to call "Yacub(p)" good luck making the call.
    ****ing dummies!!!!

8. EdT macrumors 6502

EdT

1) "It doesn't let you use **App Name** so it's worthless!"

2)"Apple Map sucks!"

3)"It's way too expensive!"

Ok, These are the basis for most of the complaints that are coming in this thread. You don't need to read any further and you can do something productive instead.

9. mi7chy, Apr 20, 2017
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2017

mi7chy macrumors 68030

mi7chy

Read the YouTube comments instead of creating more accounts. Here's the Streamable link:

https://streamable.com/5h4yi

10. BigHonkingDeal macrumors 6502a

BigHonkingDeal

My wife uses CarPlay & SIRI to text from her car all the time..... It takes me a lot of guessing of what she's trying to say most of the time :)

11. CaryMacGuy macrumors 6502a

CaryMacGuy

I really want to see Apple open up CarPlay to 3rd party mapping providers. I hope this is coming in iOS 11. Apple Maps is ok but in my opinion, Google Maps is an order of magnitude better. Also I think having the ability to use Waze in the dash would be awesome.
    Also I think they could change the home screen of CarPlay to provide different information in one view. On that screen, they could also support Apple Watch like "complications." An example of this for me would be showing my current blood glucose reading from my Dexcom glocuse monitor (which would be really useful when driving).

12. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Who is Strategy Analytics and how do they make money?

13. Sulliyvan macrumors newbie

Sulliyvan

Why would I post on youtube or even read youtube comments when they are so over saturated and congested with ... garbage?

And apparently I can't figure out how to actually reply, lol.

14. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

That’s my experience too. Tried it once or twice and disabled it and I speak the queens english, (I think). Car play also made it a mission to get into the other parts of the car multimedia.
    Glad it works for some tho, but I’ll pass.

15. djcerla macrumors 65816

djcerla

I don't have CarPlay. However, I often use Siri to initiate navigation with just name of the shop + city infos and the navigation is flawless.

16. Json81 macrumors member

Siri works fine with sms for me (swedish), but she's terrible at adresses for navigation.
    And even when the adress is correct, navigation is hit or miss.

17. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

My only experience with CarPlay was with a BMW loaner last month. I found (at least BMW's implementation) to be a mixed bag. I figured out how to enable it but it wasn't all that intuitive, at least in what is expected from Apple. Using it was a little odd too, especially trying to program the GPS. I couldn't find any way to type in the destination location. I don't recall how I eventually worked it out. I did like being able to control Spotify and Internet radio from the screen. For the $300 upgrade cost I'll probably get it in my next car but not sure how often I'll use it. In my short time with it I didn't find it a slam dunk must have. But again, that isn't enough time to give it a fair evaluation, just an instant take.

18. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

It reads it back, if a word or two is wrong, you say re-record message and say it again. People must have bad mics in their cars. I almost never have issues with car play and texting.

19. DoctorDoctor macrumors regular

I don't find Google Assistant any more reliable at understanding me but I will have to admit that Google Maps and Google's mapping information is heads above Apples. I do like Apple Maps actual navigation better though.

20. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

I've never just try to type in a random location, but if you an event on your calendar it will already have the destination there and if its one of your contacts you just go to contacts and click the address.

Edit: Also, this is a good first version of car play. I hope Apple can take it to the next level with iOS 11. It has few short comings.

21. H2SO4 macrumors 68040

It wasn't completely fair but you know what I thought was strange………AA pronounced Jacob as Yakoob.

22. spazzcat macrumors 68020

spazzcat

This personal choice. I love Apples simple and clean maps over the Google. All I care about is the route.

23. 69Mustang macrumors 601

69Mustang

A survey of 70... and clients pay for this? The hustle game is strong at Strategy Analytics.

24. convergent macrumors 65816

convergent

The simplest way to put in a location is to type it into Maps on your phone before you even get in the car. That is what I usually do. Then it is already ready to go when you plug the phone in to the CarPlay receiver. Otherwise, if you need to change to a new destination in route, you'll need to use Siri I believe. You can also always pick up the phone and type it in there. For returning home, it always has that available for you on the screen and asked when you get in the car. I find that it works 95% of the time really well and use it all the time.

My overall satisfaction with CarPlay is high. I use it mostly for Maps and Music/Podcasts. For Messages, I'm kind of lazy and will usually look at the phone when i get to a stoplight or something to see what I received rather than using CarPlay for it, but it does work when I've used it. But CarPlay is alerting me that I've received the message, which for me is very useful.

25. bboucher790 macrumors 65816

bboucher790

You know you entered the market incorrectly when my dad's built-in Navigation system works better in many areas than Carplay. Apple is a software company and they're being outdone by the auto industry? Not what I expected. One major area that Carplay falls short to the built-in software, is the ability to split screen.

Carplay's UI is to switch between Apple Maps / Music, it's one or the other. Splitscreen is a basic feature that should have been released when Carplay was created. Android Auto, although not split screened, will pop up the song title that's playing as you switch tracks while in navigation mode. Carplay? Nada. I'm sure Carplay will offer this one day, but it's amazing to me that this hasn't been addressed. If I was the Carplay project lead, this feature would have made it into the day 1 release. It's a car. People listen to music and use navigation to get places. It's a complete UI fail if you have to juggle between the two while driving.