Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sandstorm

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2011
Riga, Latvia
This is for the Volvo Concept C Coupe using that center console NOT the SUV.

Very beautiful ... yet very reminiscent of the QNX Bentley shown off just under 2yrs ago ....

Still great for Volvo and Apple ... looking forward to seeing lots more collaboration and Siri getting pumped up!

You're a bit wrong. Yes, the interiors of all three recent Volvo concepts (Coupe, XC Coupe, Estate) feature this new UI/dashboard. But the video and images with CarPlay are from the just unveiled Volvo Concept Estate (not Concept Coupe). And IT IS a direct preview of what the interior of the upcoming XC90 SUV will look and work like. Volvo has explicitly said that. Also take a look at the images from the official XC90 teaser event:

2015-Volvo-XC90-1%25255B4%25255D.jpg

2015-Volvo-XC90-3%25255B4%25255D.jpg

Source: http://www.carscoops.com/2013/08/all-new-2015-volvo-xc90-suv-teased.html

Volvo Concept Estate website:
http://www.volvocars.com/intl/all-cars/concept-cars/concept-estate/Pages/default.aspx

Volvo Concept Estate video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asEWToyN1uY

Volvo Concept Estate - User Interface video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLkNBvzxa9E

PS - imho that Bentley dashboard actually looks hideous compared to this. :)

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Does Volvo have to pay 10% accessory tax to Apple?

----------

"Actually we DO need to do away with some stop signs. Four-way stops in particular. They are annoying, waste gas, and impede traffic flow. Roundabouts are the right way to accomplish what 4-way stops poorly do."

Very true. People in Europe understand this. So do people in Boston although they refer to them as "rotaries".

It's time the rest of the U.S. caught up
Round abouts are evil. I curse whoever invented them. :mad:

doctor-don

macrumors 68000
Dec 26, 2008
Georgia USA
My dogs turn my ECO on/off, Traction on/off, change my playlist settings, and child-lock the rear doors while I am driving. Since they have no thumbs, they cannot raise the windows, but they could lower them if they tried. :p

I would like to see the ability to cover all of those controls - without duct tape and cardboard.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Who else thinks this is a bad idea?
While driving you need to watch the road, not try to hit the right part of a touchscreen which is in a place where your arm doesn't usually go.

TOTALLY AGREED! Knobs and Buttons are the natural UI choice, and still the best. No touch screen will ever be as good, period. Taking your eyes off the road is NEVER a good idea, even for knob/button radios. But with k/b you can just reach over and do it, even in the dark.

On another front, how much light distraction will screens like this be at night? is there a dark mode, or night/red version?

Kirb112

macrumors member
Jan 16, 2013
Pretty cool looking. Considering I only purchased pre-owned vehicles, it will be a LONG time before I see this on my daily drive.

agffth

macrumors regular
Jan 25, 2014
No VW? Kind of surprised...

Yeah. Where is VW? I would think if there was one car manufacture that would have this it would be VW. The simplicity of Apple and VW seen to be a match made in heaven. Disappointing. However, they could just be waiting to get it perfect before announcing. That's what I'm going to hope for.

Last edited:

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
TOTALLY AGREED! Knobs and Buttons are the natural UI choice, and still the best. No touch screen will ever be as good, period. Taking your eyes off the road is NEVER a good idea, even for knob/button radios. But with k/b you can just reach over and do it, even in the dark.

On another front, how much light distraction will screens like this be at night? is there a dark mode, or night/red version?

I'm going to take a guess that you do not have a car with a navigation system. The current cars with navigations factory navigations a very clumsy and make you take your eyes off the road. You would have to have had factory navigation in your car to really understand

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
And yet services like Spotify and Beats music are going to be available for CarpPlay out of the gate.

You would think they'd want to keep it iTunes and iTunes Radio only (at least for the first iteration) so as to help establish iTunes Radio in the car. Maybe the car makers wouldn't let them do that.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.