Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Lol don't go by what he said. It is a carrier settings update. It can provide for stronger signal, faster data speeds, hotspot functionality, etc. Look on the first or second page and there is a post that gives you an idea of what it does.

We are not talking about the carrier hack.

We are talking about a new Tweak in cydia.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
Carrier hack patch, get better service/bars from your carrier.

We are not talking about the carrier hack.

We are talking about a new Tweak in cydia.

Ahh my fault. I have that one too. Yes it disables anything below LTE. I have it and I can maintain a very low LTE signal at all times instead of dropping to 3G. Which for Verizon is still faster than my 3G connection that is surely throttled.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Ahh my fault. I have that one too. Yes it disables anything below LTE. I have it and I can maintain a very low LTE signal at all times instead of dropping to 3G. Which for Verizon is still faster than my 3G connection that is surely throttled.

If you are on a LTE device verizon does not throttle 3G.

For verizon to throttle 3G you would have to have unlimited data and have a 3G device like a 4S.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN

I actually got informed by a CSR that my account was flagged one month for "Network Optimization" when using 3G data. Kinda mad about it, but not sure what I can do.

Last edited:

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
They don't throttle LTE, but they throttle my 3G connection as I've already found out through them directly due to my data use. My phone is my only source of high speed internet where I live and, yes, my 3G is throttled per Verizon on the tower I connect to around my house. My LTE is just fine and I do have unlimited data.

I'm sorry but you were given incorrect information

Verizon's "Network Optimization" can only be applied to lines that currently have a 3G device activated. Once you activate a LTE device Network Optimization can no longer be applied to the line.

It's not something that a person can go into your account and turn on or off. This is an automatic process.

Sorry, but it's good for you to know that you are not being throttled.

I was also on a 3G device for a very long time with unlimited data. There were times where I was throttled for a billing cycle and it was in my bill. Once I went to a LTE device that was no longer possible.

It doesn't apply to the band that you are using, it applies to the type of device you have.

Thanks.

----------

I actually got informed by a CSR that my account was flagged one month for "Network Optimization" when using 3G data. Kinda mad about it, but not sure what I can do.

Which device was it?

Who long were you using that device during the month?

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I'm sorry but you were given incorrect information

Verizon's "Network Optimization" can only be applied to lines that currently have a 3G device activated. Once you activate a LTE device Network Optimization can no longer be applied to the line.

It's not something that a person can go into your account and turn on or off. This is an automatic process.

Sorry, but it's good for you to know that you are not being throttled.

I was also on a 3G device for a very long time with unlimited data. There were times where I was throttled for a billing cycle and it was in my bill. Once I went to a LTE device that was no longer possible.

It doesn't apply to the band that you are using, it applies to the type of device you have.

Thanks.

----------

Which device was it?

Who long were you using that device during the month?

I was on a freaking 5S. It was maybe two months ago. I didn't see anything on my online bill, but she pointed out to me when I made a call to get a sim card issue fixed. She asked if I had noticed any slow data speeds and I said only when using 3G. Then she tells me what it showed on my account. Had that phone from release date until I got my 6+ just recently. I haven't noticed any issues on the 6, but my 4 bar 3G on the 5S was running at .2 down and .05 up when I ran a speed test after talking to her.

TitsLegendary

macrumors 6502a
Jun 12, 2013
So I did this on my Verizon 5s and my ATT 6 and I can't see any difference in speeds. I know that the tweak worked because the carrier is updated and I rebooted but I'm not noticing better signal or faster speeds. Ugh.

rick snagwell

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Feb 12, 2011
alta loma, ca
So I did this on my Verizon 5s and my ATT 6 and I can't see any difference in speeds. I know that the tweak worked because the carrier is updated and I rebooted but I'm not noticing better signal or faster speeds. Ugh.

some dont see anything different. you might of had awesome speed already.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
I was on a freaking 5S. It was maybe two months ago. I didn't see anything on my online bill, but she pointed out to me when I made a call to get a sim card issue fixed. She asked if I had noticed any slow data speeds and I said only when using 3G. Then she tells me what it showed on my account. Had that phone from release date until I got my 6+ just recently. I haven't noticed any issues on the 6, but my 4 bar 3G on the 5S was running at .2 down and .05 up when I ran a speed test after talking to her.

I just had a 45 min phone call with verizon tech support. They said it was not possible to have a LTE device throttled on any band. Network optimization can only be applied a 3G device.

If you having these issues please contact a supervisor. I suggest you talk to tech support first and have them put in the notes how it's not possible to throttle a LTE device on any band. Have the supervisor read the notes, then they can sort you out.

epphllps

macrumors 6502
Mar 13, 2011
West TN
I just had a 45 min phone call with verizon tech support. They said it was not possible to have a LTE device throttled on any band. Network optimization can only be applied a 3G device.

If you having these issues please contact a supervisor. I suggest you talk to tech support first and have them put in the notes how it's not possible to throttle a LTE device on any band. Have the supervisor read the notes, then they can sort you out.

Thanks for that. I will definitely give them a call later today and discuss this with them. I would rather that not happen again bc I do drop down to 3G and I would like for it to be functional on my phone. This makes me pretty mad, but I'm sure supervisor can help me sort this out.

Oh and an update for the Lock4GLTE hack. It can STILL drop from LTE. It will give you a No Service indicator. Looks like I'll be uninstalling that tweak as I thought it was holding my 4G until I ventured into the back of the house lol.

HankHowdy

macrumors 68040
Dec 2, 2012
Victorville CA
Thanks for that. I will definitely give them a call later today and discuss this with them. I would rather that not happen again bc I do drop down to 3G and I would like for it to be functional on my phone. This makes me pretty mad, but I'm sure supervisor can help me sort this out.

Oh and an update for the Lock4GLTE hack. It can STILL drop from LTE. It will give you a No Service indicator. Looks like I'll be uninstalling that tweak as I thought it was holding my 4G until I ventured into the back of the house lol.

Sounds good.

Just looking out for a fellow Verizon customer.

lavrishevo

macrumors 68000
Jan 9, 2007
NJ
I update my 6 plus on AT&T. Firmware version is 20.1.5 now from 18.0

Not much change at the office but I will observe more at home.

SMELTN

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2010
Whats the difference in AT&T Mobility and AT&T MVNO's ?

I have an iPhone 6+ on standard AT&T Mobile Share plan service

Skizzy

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2013

Whats the difference in AT&T Mobility and AT&T MVNO's ?

I have an iPhone 6+ on standard AT&T Mobile Share plan service

I don't know the exact difference, but you want to use AT&T Mobility. the other one is for pre-paid plans.

----------

read post # 14

An AT&T MVNO is something like Straight Talk. AT&T Prepaid such as GoPhone isn't an MVNO. It's still under AT&T Mobility.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.