Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I didn't see another post about this when I searched (which means there will be a duplicate thread on this very subject), but I just got back from Cars, and after having some reservations....

The movie was absolutely brilliant...perhaps one of Pixar's best.

clayj

macrumors 604
Jan 14, 2005
visiting from downstream
I really liked this movie. Not only was the quality of the animation superb, but the physics are incredibly realistic, and the story of how American life is being hurt by "life in the fast lane" (i.e., little towns that once thrived are now dying) was charming.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
clayj said:
I really liked this movie. Not only was the quality of the animation superb, but the physics are incredibly realistic, and the story of how American life is being hurt by "life in the fast lane" (i.e., little towns that once thrived are now dying) was charming.

Also, this one was written and directed by Lasseter.

The animation was, at points, just stunning - so realistic.

Daveway

macrumors 68040
Jul 10, 2004
New Orleans / Lafayette, La
I was a little skeptical about going to see this movie, but I think I will go to see it tomorrow with a friend.

One Question.
Because I'm a "Lemming", does this mean I have to have an already amazing review of it even if it is horrible, being that Steve Jobs is the CEO?:p

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
iGary said:
I didn't see another post about this when I searched (which means there will be a duplicate thread on this very subject), but I just got back from Cars, and after having some reservations....

The movie was absolutely brilliant...perhaps one of Pixar's best.

I would have loved joining the two of you for this movie. Maybe we can make plans for the Superman movie?

nbs2

macrumors 68030
Mar 31, 2004
A geographical oddity
What I need to know is this - Lori and I see one movie in the theater per year. Is Cars definitive enough to burn that viewing now? Last year we messed up and saw Star Wars instead of Batman, and I don't want to get burned again. FWIW, we do own the Pixar Collection.

xsedrinam

macrumors 601
Oct 21, 2004
It's good to hear this. After seeing it puffed for over a year, I was beginning to have doubts it would live up to the hype. I'll see it asap.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I too was surprised at the lack of a thread on this when I checked earlier. Took the family to see it at an early show this AM, and I wholeheartedly agree with all the positive reviews. The only thing I'll add now, is stay through the end of the credits! some of the material there is worthe the whole price of admission!

B

Bubbasteve

macrumors 65816
Dec 23, 2004
Charleston, IL
nbs2 said:
What I need to know is this - Lori and I see one movie in the theater per year. Is Cars definitive enough to burn that viewing now? Last year we messed up and saw Star Wars instead of Batman, and I don't want to get burned again. FWIW, we do own the Pixar Collection.
Why not just go to two movies? Why stop there...maybe even be crazy and see three. If you want to see a movie why not spend the $8-$10 to see it?

frankblundt

macrumors 65816
Sep 19, 2005
South of the border
It was good. The animation was stunning. I cried (altho that's not unusual), but, the best? not sure about that. It's a good story, but pretty mono-dimensional. I know that's kind of what you expect in a kids movie, but Pixar had already raised the bar on that so high I kind of expected more.

Madagascar was good but also not great for the same reason I thought. (vv .. and I know it's not a Pixar movie, and i enjoyed it also, but it wasn't "great", because it's plot, although lovely, wasn't as nuanced, layered or stirring as a great film's should be, like many Pixar films have been, but not to my mind Cars. Cool, good, enjoyable, funny, in parts stunning, not truly great)

The Incredibles is still their best yet for me.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
^^Madagascar isn't a Pixar movie...

nbs2 said:

See 2 movies. If you want to see 2 movies, and money isn't an issue, then go out and see the 2 movies you want to see. You don't have to stand by this arbitrary rule you made up just to prove something to yourself. See Cars and Superman if you want.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
frankblundt said:
Pixar had already raised the bar on that so high I kind of expected more.
Each of the Pixar movies has it's own charm and has raised the bar yet again. So it's hard to rank them, but here's a rough standing of where I would place Cars.

"Toy Story 2", "The Incredibles", "Cars", "Finding Nemo", "Toy Story", "Monster's Inc.", "A Bug's Life"

IMHO the first four are in a class by themselves, while the rest have been equalled by the likes of "Shrek" and "Madagascar". Having seen "Over the Hedge" recently it's far more mono-dimensional than "Cars".

B

MongoTheGeek

macrumors 68040
I saw cars and it was a great movie. My biggest problem with it was it seemed like a retread of "Doc Hollywood"

Paul Newman was perfect as Doc. Not just the voice and the acting ability but also that he raced NASCAR a couple of seasons. (My wife saw him run at the Glen)

Larry the Cable Guy was hilarious. Most of the supporting cast was great.

The outtakes at the end when they are at the drive in are incredible.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
iGary said:
FWIW, the Sony Animations Picture "Open Season" looks really good (it was one of the previews).
I dunno, seems like one of those "A Bug's Life/Antz" "Nemo/shark Tale" "Madagascar/The Wild" things. Another movie about a junk-food eating bear so soon after "Over the Hedge"?!? (yes, we'll probably go see if if the reviews don't stink.)

B

ToddW

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2004
Took the kiddo to the movie yesterday. I thought it was really good. I liked the Incredibles a little bit better. But the movie itself was absolutely stunning. It is amazing what you can od with all the tools that are out there available.

kgarner

macrumors 68000
Jan 28, 2004
Utah
Glad to hear the positive reviews. I was a little worried about this one because when The Incredibles came out I was absolutely pumped to see it. I could not wait. Now with Cars I am not feeling that level of anticipation about it. I want to see it, but I just don't have that same level of excitement. The positive reviews here make me want to go see it more. I'll probably take my kids to it this weekend.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.