Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be working on a low-cost iPhone that could launch within the next few months, and as with any new imminent iPhone launch, case makers are already scrambling to get cases ready for the new devices.

Case manufacturers often pre-design cases for new iPhones well in advance of when the devices launch, basing designs on rumors, leaked schematics, renders, and other details. Most often this information is accurate enough that these pre-designed cases fit well, and there's a lot of money in being one of the first companies to have a case available for a freshly released iPhone.

totalleeiphonese2case.jpg

With the new low-cost iPhone rumored to be identical in design to the 4.7-inch iPhone iPhone 8, it's not much of a stretch for case makers to take advantage of this fact and offer cases for sale early.

Totallee, for example, has already launched pre-orders for an "iPhone SE 2" case, and sites like Alibaba and Amazon also have similar case listings. We can expect pre-sales of cases for the low-cost iPhone to pick up its launch date approaches.

Totallee and other case manufacturers do not have specific information on the new iPhone direct from Apple, and these early case designs (and the March release date details) are based on circulating rumors. Totallee says the cases will be available on March 24, but that's just the date that iPhone SE preorders began back in 2017 and a decent guess as to when an event could potentially be held.

The low-cost iPhone, which has been referred to as the "iPhone SE 2" due to its prospective $399 price point, is not expected to resemble the 2016 iPhone SE at all. Instead, rumors suggest it will be an updated iPhone 8.

The new iPhone will feature a 4.7-inch display, a single-lens rear camera, thick top and bottom bezels, and a Touch ID Home button. It is expected to come in space gray, silver, and red color options, and we're expecting 64 and 128GB storage capacities.

Recent rumors have suggested that Apple could unveil the new low-cost iPhone early in the year, perhaps in March. Apple does often hold an event in March, and if there are going to be new product announcements coming at a specific event, we could be hearing details soon.

Article Link: Case Makers Readying 'iPhone SE 2' Cases Ahead of Low-Cost iPhone Launch

fmcshan

Editor
Apr 8, 2019
It's finally almost here! We've been waiting years for a successor to the iPhone SE, but I wish Apple had stuck with that iconic 4" display. Also, no gold iPhone this time around?

Elitegate

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2014
As an existing iPhone SE evangelist...
I find it to be a truly epic buzzkill that a rebadged iPhone 8 is the "SE 2".

It makes sense, right?

A rebadged 5s with improved hardware was called the "SE".

A rebadged 8 with improved hardware will be the "SE 2", no matter what name it will get.

Apple wants to keep the form factor, it seems.

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Hey, @MacRumors, I’ve been reading a recent rumor stating that this iPhone 9 will have a bigger 4,9” screen crammed into the same body as the iPhone 8. It’d be a similar approach to the latest 7th gen iPad, which retained the same dimension but increased the screen from 9,7” to 10,2”

For me, it makes sense and it could be one more reason to update from an iPhone 7 or 8, aside from the renewed internals.

Now more than ever, I’m torn between this iPhone 9 or the 5,4” iPhone 12 which will actually be smaller than the iPhone 8. But it could end up costing double the iPhone 9 so...

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
It's finally almost here! We've been waiting years for a successor to the iPhone SE, but I wish Apple had stuck with that iconic 4" display. Also, no gold iPhone this time around?

Apple tends to be very neutral with their colors for their iPhones. I suspect the classic silver, space Gray, gold, ect. The more ‘limited colors’ that we see that are offered usually are a ‘one time only’ is usually like rose gold, Jet black, etc.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
iPhone XR 2 or iPhone 8 Pro...
It’s nothing like the XR, and iPhone 8 “something” or iPhone 9 make it sound 2 or 3 years old from day 1. This iPhone is going to be around for a few years. Who wants a 9 when others will have 12, 13 and 14?

A name that makes sense to me is iPhone SR; there are others, get creative. With enough guesses someone here should be able to nail it ?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
Hey, @MacRumors, I’ve been reading a recent rumor stating that this iPhone 9 will have a bigger 4,9” screen crammed into the same body as the iPhone 8.

Where are you hearing that? I’ve heard nothing of a 4.9” screen. I guess I’m out of the loop.

It sounds like wishful thinking. Apple likes to use existing parts so they can leverage economies of scale.

satchmo

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2008
Canada
It’s nothing like the XR, and iPhone 8 “something” or iPhone 9 make it sound 2 or 3 years old from day 1. This iPhone is going to be around for a few years. Who wants a 9 when others will have 12, 13 and 14?

A name that makes sense to me is iPhone SR; there are others, get creative. With enough guesses someone here should be able to nail it ?

Knowing Apple, they’ll make it really confusing with something so generic. I wouldn’t be surprised if it was simply called ‘iPhone’.

And this means we’ll all probably end up referring to it as iPhone 2020. ?

Reactions: turbineseaplane

therealjustin

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2011
iPhone Classic, probably. I don't think calling the phone the "SE 2" makes much sense this far into the home button-less era.

I'd be thrilled to see an updated Plus model alongside the 4.7" one but that is just not happening.

Reactions: erniefairchild1

Metrosey

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2019
Considering most cases are produced in China, I think case makers are going to have a few problems too

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
Where are you hearing that? I’ve heard nothing of a 4.9” screen. I guess I’m out of the loop.

It sounds like wishful thinking. Apple likes to use existing parts so they can leverage economies of scale.

The source is Fast Company. I’m not sure about their credibility, but they state that it will retain the body of an iPhone 8, also with a Home button and Touch ID, but with a slightly increased screen from 4,7” to 4,9”.

It may be a typo, it may be true, i’ve been measuring the screen of my iPhone 8 with a ruler and there is room to increase 0,2” the screen. I don’t know, it sounds weird, but it was weird to have a basic iPad with same body and a slightly bigger display, so... not that weird after all...

And remember, starting from this spring developers have to support all kind of screen sizes. I guess XCode 11 takes care of it, but I’m not a dev so I don’t know how it works.

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
The source is Fast Company. I’m not sure about their credibility, but they state that it will retain the body of an iPhone 8, also with a Home button and Touch ID, but with a slightly increased screen from 4,7” to 4,9”.

It may be a typo, it may be true, i’ve been measuring the screen of my iPhone 8 with a ruler and there is room to increase 0,2” the screen. I don’t know, it sounds weird, but it was weird to have a basic iPad with same body and a slightly bigger display, so... not that weird after all...

And remember, starting from this spring developers have to support all kind of screen sizes. I guess XCode 11 takes care of it, but I’m not a dev so I don’t know how it works.
Yeah, looks like a typo. The author hasn’t sourced any new info, it seems like a regurgitation of other articles.

Author also states “Apple says it aims to sell 200 million iPhones this year” which isn’t true at all. That info seems to be sourced from a Bloomberg article published last October. They seem to be referring to Ming Chi Kuo.

efktd

macrumors 6502a
Sep 29, 2011
USA
It makes sense, right?

A rebadged 5s with improved hardware was called the "SE".

A rebadged 8 with improved hardware will be the "SE 2", no matter what name it will get.

Apple wants to keep the form factor, it seems.

no, it doesn’t make sense.
the SE was 3rd iteration of that form factor. (5, 5s, SE)
“SE2” is 5th iteration of form factor. (6, 6s, 7, 8, SE2)

Reactions: turbineseaplane
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.