Case Manufacturer Shows Off Claimed Next-Generation iPod Touch Design Mockup

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

HardMac reports that it has received from a case manufacturer a design mockup for the next-generation iPod touch, showing an off-center rear camera and flash similar to that found on the iPhone 4.
Even if it is hard to have a perfect view through the case, it looks like the back is rounded, unlike the one of the new iPhone, and of course, there is a camera and a flash.

This source is very reliable since it is already thanks to it that we were able to predict the camera on the iPod Mini last year.
There has been considerable speculation over whether Apple will even include a rear camera in the next iPod touch, especially considering the space constraints imposed by the current model's slim and tapered design. Many have regarded a lower-resolution (and thus thinner) front-facing camera as having a higher probability than a rear-facing one as Apple seeks to broaden access to its FaceTime video calling feature.

If Apple were to squeeze a rear-facing camera into the next-generation iPod touch, moving it to a corner as found on the iPhone would seem to be a reasonable shift away from the centered rear camera seen on current-generation prototypes that was ultimately scrapped. Such a move could provide additional space within the device's body depending on the degree of tapering, particularly if Apple is looking to center a front-facing camera on the other side of the device.

Despite the fact that Apple CEO Steve Jobs reported at the company's iPhone 4 press conference that it does not share product designs with case makers ahead of time due to their history of such leaks, Apple's manufacturing partners have been known in some cases to leak information to case manufacturers to enable them to get a head start on production before a new product launches. Other case manufacturers have admitted that they simply base their designs on prevailing rumors as they seek to have as much of their design work done ahead of the actual device introduction as possible.

Article Link: Case Manufacturer Shows Off Claimed Next-Generation iPod Touch Design Mockup

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68020
Jan 9, 2007
Is that a see-through plastic shell covering the white plastic? Or are those just weird reflections?

mlomeli

macrumors member
Feb 26, 2010
I've been holding out on a touch until a camera rolls out with it. I'll be getting this one, for sure.

crisss1205

macrumors 6502a
Oct 7, 2008
NYC
Once again it's just a mockup and most case manufacturers don't know what it will look like until September.

This source is very reliable since it is already thanks to it that we were able to predict the camera on the iPod Mini last year.
The iPod Mini was discontinued like 5 years ago and I don't remember a camera. :confused:

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
This is a fake, a mockup using leaked details from a scrapped prototype based on last year's design. It's basically like posting the last Edsel on the drawing table and saying it's next year's Prius.

Move along, people. Only the truly gullible would believe this rumor.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Problems with this story

Many problems with this rumor/story:

• No Black strip like previous models to show where the wi-fi antenna is.
  • The software mockup is outdated (Where is the iTunes iCon??)
  • Camera placement, why no center camera and why no front camera so apple can promote free FaceTime Calls to users?

Looks like Apple Rumors bit the bait :rolleyes:

Stiss

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2009
England
this has 100X more fail than the time the buyer for John Lewis gave the press his opinion on what the new iPod Touch would feature.

I mean he's not correct in giving his opinion to a press meeting like that, his opinion is irrelevent but they were just as stupid buying into the hype!

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
Looks just like the current model but with a camera. Not to mention that the iPod is running 2.__ software....

If Apple doesn't re-design the touch, it will not be good. I don't think it will sell as much. To me, the first gen is a better design than the 2nd and 3rd gen.

iMac0765

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2010
Last time I touched my iPod touch (this morning)... the sleep/wake button was on the top left of device... not the right... WHAT IS THIS? AN iPHONE? :mad:

BreuerEditor

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2008
New Jersey
FAIL x 10

No front facing camera in the mock? Then there won't be "10s of millions of customers using FaceTime"...if theres only the rear camera, then it wouldn't be possible...

[*]No Black strip like previous models to show where the wi-fi antenna is.
Agreed

The iPod Mini was discontinued like 5 years ago and I don't remember a camera.
Definitely meant iPod Nano, but if you're still typing iPod Mini in a "report", then I wouldn't be believing this rumor from the get-go.

Wiesenlooser

macrumors 6502a
Jul 9, 2010
So no Facetime front camera? I don't think so!

And the back looks like it was stainless steel like the iPhone 4 rim.

bananas

macrumors 6502
Aug 1, 2007
It's quite predictable that there will be a camera, but I'd think it's going to be in the center of the top.

kernkraft

macrumors 68020
Jun 25, 2009
I thought that they would keep the curved style and the 3G/3GS look. I'm sorry to see the steel back go, however. With the new iPhone 4 out (which, by the way has no issue with the reception whatsoever and the glass is strong and under no circumstances should you expect it to break), the iPod Touch can finally have a camera.

I'm sure that many young people (or those who are sick of paying a fortune for a not-defective-at-all iPhone 4 during a two year contract) will just use a Touch with one of the mobile internet 'thingies'. One of them is actually on offer today for $29 with no contract, I think.

Not having a radio in it would be a shame and an annoying omission. A GPS module with compass would be a killing feature that I can only hope for.

NetScheduler

macrumors regular
Sep 7, 2008
Southwest PA
The iPod Mini was discontinued like 5 years ago and I don't remember a camera. :confused:
Oh my, You're such a smart little boy. I bet you are the 1st one to impress all your fanboy friends by also correcting people who say OX - Ex and iTouch,,,

Thank Buddy for the great contributions you make ..

alhasa

macrumors member
Jul 12, 2008
No front facing camera in the mock? Then there won't be "10s of millions of customers using FaceTime"...if theres only the rear camera, then it wouldn't be.....
Apple will probably sell 10million iPhone 4's by the end of the year at this rate though
:p

triceretops

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
Illinois
Camera, that's all I want

I've been waiting to upgrade my 1G touch. A rear facing camera is the only feature I really want though a GPS would be nice too. I still don't understand why anybody would want FaceTime.

Ziggie

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2010
In any case, the pinhole next to the camera is way too small to house a flash. It would more likely be the mic.