Caseless?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Theophil1971, Sep 26, 2017.

1. Theophil1971 macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Anyone going without a case on the new 8 or 8+?
    Just got mine, and threw a clear Spigen case on it to let the back color chow through.
    I kinda hate the case on it... but I'm a little paranoid about shattering the back if it accidentally drops.

2. ValhallaOutcast macrumors regular

ValhallaOutcast

case always for first 6 months, usually a clear to show it off but this time I got a leather too for variety, by the 6 months I am usually naked

3. Helmsley macrumors regular

Helmsley

I had a LifeProof case on my iPhone 5 and do currently on my 6s. Keeps them in mint condition. I like to protect my investment.

4. davelees76 macrumors member

I usually hate cases, but I’m using the apple leather case and I actually love it.

Great color, slim, feels great in the hand. Definitely recommended.

5. PBz macrumors 68020

PBz

Amazing Case. More protective that one would think as well.

6. JPiper macrumors newbie

On my last 3 iPhones I used them caseless. I carry the phone in my right front pocket, by itself. No coins to scratch it, etc. I carry everything else in the other pocket. Personally I think the phone looks significantly better without the case. And it’s not as fragile as you think. And, AppleCare takes care of a couple of broken screens.

7. Bigserver1 macrumors regular

This is my approach as well, I just keep it alone in my front left pocket haha.

8. ooninay macrumors member

I never use cases on any of my phones. To me using a case on a phone is like putting plastic on your furniture. Why preserve something if you'll never get to fully experience its beauty because it's always being preserved. This is my subjective opinion which I realize is not widely shared.

9. hinesmj macrumors 6502

"I'm out there, Jerrry! And I'm lovin' every minute of it!!"

10. Theophil1971 thread starter macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Thanks, everyone!
    I think I’m gonna go Kramer, and just leave it naked. The clear plastic case is as good as they get, but still makes the phone feel cheaper to me (like that plastic on the nice furniture!)
    Here’s hoping I don’t drop it and regret the choice!

11. wksj macrumors member

If you are interested in investing, buy Apple stocks, not Apple products.

The phone is meant to be used. It is not a trophy or a collector's item. I never use a case. Sometimes a clear protective skin on the back and a glass screen protector.

12. missbing macrumors 6502

missbing

I think it depends on the individual. Are you prone to accidents? Do you have toddlers that play with your phone? If you answer yes to any of these, then I would recommend a case or at the very least Apple Care. I use an Otterbox because I’m clumsy and have toddlers, but I’m kind of getting tired of big bulky cases. Since I’ve had my phone for over 2 years now and not as worried about something happening to it, I’ve been experimenting with thinner and decorative cases. I don’t see myself ever going fully careless because I don’t want to pay $200 for Apple Care and accidents are more likely to happen with something you have on you 12+ hours a day. There are thinner cases and even clear cases that still show off the color of your phone. They may not provide the protection of an Otterbox, but they provide a little protection.

13. Theophil1971 thread starter macrumors 6502

Theophil1971

Good points. I’m a bit clumsy, as my wife reminds me. But not terrible. And no toddlers... they’re all older than that now and don’t break stuff randomly anymore. I used the Apple Ulgrade Program to purchase this iphone8, and so it includes Apple Care. So, being that I don’t like the look and feel of the case, I’m gong to leave it off unless I’m doing some activity that would make it more sensible. For daily life, I think I’m good without it.

14. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

That's a big part of it. I don't prefer to use cases, as I don't appreciate the added bulk when holding. Especially for the iPhone Plus model. But I have also been very fortunate not to have any accidents and I'm fairly cautious with handling my devices.

15. baldgye3000 macrumors member

baldgye3000

Only reason I have my 6 in a case is because the bloody thing is so slippery!

16. 4ppleg1rl macrumors regular

I always usually have a clear case on my phones, but this phone is SO BEAUTIFUL I CAN'T HIDE IT. So I've had no case on it these past few days, but I am in the process of ordering one!

I have the plus model for the first time ever, so it's easier to fall out of my tiny hands! BUT I also have insurance, so cracked screens isn't a biggie!

17. Veridis macrumors newbie

Veridis

No insurance, no case, no screen protector. 1 toddler. I get a heart attack every time my son picks my phone up.

My previous 5 smartphones were caseless. Didn't break any of them. Right now I'm still caseless but am considering a thin case like the apple leather case because of my son.

18. kamikazeeMC macrumors newbie

kamikazeeMC

Up until I got my 5 replaced (power button getting stuck) I never used cases. Started using them to help with resell as I use to be pretty rough with my phones. Never broke a screen until my previous S8+ which fell from knee height right on the corner of the edge glass :(

I do go caseless a lot feels much better to hold and use, and as designers put all this effort into making a great looking product, then to ruin it with a case.. I do have a Spigen Liquid Crystal on the way, but will use it on and off. I also tried 2 tempered glass covers but they halo around the edge, so I gave up and bought Apple Care. Seems I have this I might even just remain naked.

19. akash.nu macrumors 604

akash.nu

I’m going without a case since the iPhone 4 days and will keep my shiny new 8+ naked as well. However, I use a leather sleeve when I’m out and about.

20. iTom17 macrumors 6502a

iTom17

I always try doing without a case, but it just doesn't work. Especially with the iPhone 8 Plus I have now. It's big. And it feels fragile as I have small hands. But maybe even more important: without a case my iPhone constantly 'slides' away on my wireless charging pad, preventing it from getting charged. :p

So glad I have a case now. Makes things a lot better for me. :)

21. TPadden macrumors 6502a

No contradiction there :D!

22. SomeGuy2112 macrumors regular

SomeGuy2112

23. Seth Matthews macrumors 6502

Seth Matthews

I am going naked as always, but I also always get a couple of cases to use when I go out to bars, etc at night. I have a jet white totallee and an Apple leather case for those instances, which are not very often these days.

24. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 603

Knowlege Bomb

I always end up buying cases when I get a new phone but it's only a matter of days before I get tired of them and revert to caseless. I couldn't care less about resale as I always have someone nearby that could use an upgrade and I actually enjoy watching the phone age with use. It adds character.

25. BeeGood macrumors 68000

BeeGood

I never use a case and won’t be getting one for my 8+.

But this is the first year that I’ve been more concerned about damaging the back of the phone than the screen.