Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 3, 2016
Most of the cash only businesses I patron are long standing family restaurants that are absolutely fantastic except for that fact that they remain cash only. You'd think it would hurt them but these joints are packed despite the inconvenience.

:D

(in a normal non-pandemic Economic environment)

Last edited:
Reactions: Healer Flame

ruka.snow

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017
Scotland
I haven't carried cash for about 10 years or more. We have contactless on everything so I went from my bank card to phone and now watch. It is quite novel still buying things with your watch. And Apple Pay covers everything from groceries to £2000 camera lenses.

itunes8

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
West Coast
I've been using the CCs exclusively since the lockdown, even for charges less than 5$ now.
Although I sanitize my hands when I get home, actual currency and coinage is more suspect, due to all the handling they accrue in one day alone.

I must admit when the lockdowns were starting to be suggested, I was half-contemplating withdrawing 500-$1,000 from the ATM in 20s, 10s and 5s, and then getting a bunch of 1s and then stashing them in my truck just in case other people people panicked and started doing the same, and then the banks started folding, as some discussion forums suggested was going to happen!
Glad neither of the above happened.

I withdrew $100 from the ATM around the beginning of March and still have $80 left, whereas before, I used to keep and replenish the $200 in my wallet at all times.

Now though, I do want to go the the bank and get forty of it in brand-new five dollar bills, and maybe ten dollars worth of it in brand-new singles, both for usage on the rare occasion I go to the Dollar Store, as I will use my CC every other place.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
I've been using the CCs exclusively since the lockdown, even for charges less than 5$ now

First time ever i am using credit card for almost everything even coffee. Before the pandemic it was like 50/50 .

Yes ATM's touch screen and all the buttons can be risky and then you have to touch the bills as well.

I remember before the pandemic many people use to put bills at the tip of their mouth when their hands are busy.

Reactions: itunes8

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
First time ever i am using credit card for almost everything even coffee. Before the pandemic it was like 50/50 .

Yes ATM's touch screen and all the buttons can be risky and then you have to touch the bills as well.

I remember before the pandemic many people use to put bills at the tip of their mouth when their hands are busy.

I don't put money in my mouth - never did... but also I don't live in fear...

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
don't put money in my mouth - never did... but also I don't live in fear...

Being extra cautious in not fear. Never take a gamble with your health.

1 gram of health = 100 tonnes of Gold

Last edited:

chengengaun

Contributor
Feb 7, 2012
In Singapore and still carry some cash to purchase meals and things from mom-and-pop shops. And for some reason, my dentist is still cash only. The government is working to encourage these shops to accept cashless payment during this pandemic. Apple Pay on the Watch works for transit, bigger shops, etc.

itunes8

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2020
West Coast

The last couple of decades I've always tried to use the CC as much as possible in the supermarkets, for the simple reason that no matter how fast you put the bills in the wallet and coinage in your pocket and deal with the receipt, the customer in back of you is already pushing you out of the way so they can start their transaction!

For the ATMs, I'd use a tissue for the screen if I used them at all.
In the grocery stores, I do use a bag or paper towel in my pocket to touch the the checkout screens.
I do wash (hardly ever sanitize them) my hands when I get home, but I've never sanitized the groceries before putting them away.

I also remember the tip of the mouth bit, which is weird 'cuz I was told in the nineteen-fifties not to put any kind of money in your mouth because you could get sick.
It was also common for people who suddenly came into a lot of money to exclaim "I going home and lay this all on the bed and roll around in it"! I wonder how many actually did that?

I made a comment in the eighties to a co-worker about finding lots of currency that had a curious red streak from top to bottom in the middle of the bill, and he told me it was from people who consumed lots of Coke aCola, and used them as straws...Eeyew!

By the time I found that out, it was almost too late to start washing my hands!

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.