Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
As we are increasingly becoming a cashless society with credit cards and digital transactions becoming the primary forms of money transfer, i am surprised and don't understand to see many people totally rely on their cards and phones to pay and never carry even a dollar ?!?!?

I still carry cash between $200-$500 depending what i am doing and also use credit card from time to time so i think i use both equally but never rely 100% on digital transactions.

Can't wait to hear from others. Is USA or wherever you are is becoming like Australia?

trillionaire

macrumors regular
Dec 19, 2018
Canada
Dude, you might not want to say that you always carry $200-$500 on you in an open forum. But all jokes aside, I very rarely carry cash, unless I know I will need it for something. It's just so much more convenient to tap my card and go. You can easily monitor your spending online, so I just don't see the point of cash anymore.

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
As we are increasingly becoming a cashless society with credit cards and digital transactions becoming the primary forms of money transfer, i am surprised and don't understand to see many people totally rely on their cards and phones to pay and never carry even a dollar ?!?!?

I still carry cash between $200-$500 depending what i am doing and also use credit card from time to time so i think i use both equally but never rely 100% on digital transactions.

Can't wait to hear from others. Is USA or wherever you are is becoming like Australia?

I don't even carry a wallet...

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
Dude, you might not want to say that you always carry $200-$500 on you in an open forum. But all jokes aside, I very rarely carry cash, unless I know I will need it for something. It's just so much more convenient to tap my card and go. You can easily monitor your spending online, so I just don't see the point of cash anymore.

Lol :) thanks for your advice i will be ok haha. Mmm.. tap and go is very convenient but if its credit card you are just racking up more debts.

Reactions: jagolden

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011
Day-to-day I never carry cash. There’s a stack of fives in the car for tips (valet, car wash, and grocery carry out). I keep cash in the house safe but very rarely need it.

Heck, even the homeless are carrying card readers now days.

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
I cary cash because I've had the 1 CC I carry with my phone decide to stop working or "lock itself out" for security reasons. If I know the place has Apple Pay, I'm more inclined to leave my wallet home. I have a Sena wallet case (with 2 slots (drivers license and CC)).

I prefer cash because I spend less of it when I have it vs a card that I can just "load up." Also using cash helps you pay off your cards if you have any balances on them without them going up again.

I will use Apple Pay when I can (Arco, Subway, Grocery store, Costco) but I prefer to use cash when going out to eat, when I visit the local farmer's market, etc...

I carry my ID in my Sena Wallet Case - I've been using this for the last 3-4 years. https://www.senacases.com/products/...case-for-iphone-xs-max?variant=16802305933381

sfd388npus-50_iphone_xsmax_kyla_snap_on_wallet_black_0_1024_e01f5006-dccd-4af9-bcc0-1974ba783146.png

Last edited:

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Wow i am certainly learning something new from all of you thanks guys

Going the smartphone case route was the best decision for me. I lost my wallet at least five times (it was once found inside a drawer at a Rooms To Go... don't ask), but I never lost, broken, or even forgotten my smartphone even once (since I use it for my music/podcast/audiobooks when I drive, I'd notice it missing as soon as I turn on the engine). Now I have one less thing to think about. At the gym it's also great as I can carry both my "wallet" and phone with me instead of either having two objects or leaving the wallet in a locker.
(thing is advertised for 3 cards, I carry 5)

Reactions: Healer Flame

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
The best advantage using debit or credit card is keeping records for future reference.
[doublepost=1555520392][/doublepost]
Going the smartphone case route was the best decision for me. I lost my wallet at least five times (it was once found inside a drawer at a Rooms To Go... don't ask), but I never lost, broken, or even forgotten my smartphone even once (since I use it for my music/podcast/audiobooks when I drive, I'd notice it missing as soon as I turn on the engine). Now I have one less thing to think about. At the gym it's also great as I can carry both my "wallet" and phone with me instead of either having two objects or leaving the wallet in a locker.

Reactions: yaxomoxay

jbarley

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2006
Vancouver Island
Just wondering where do you carry your id's.
This goes along with what I see on TV Live cop shows.
It never fails to amaze me as to how many folks they pull over who don't have either a drivers license or ID with them.
Personally I've been driving for over 60 years and have never been without my wallet which contains licence, ID and cash.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019

Smart move as long as the phone battery won't let you down.

ThisBougieLife

Suspended
Jan 21, 2016
Northern California
I generally have a small amount of cash. It's rare that I have none at all. There are still some businesses around here that only accept cash: a couple taquerias I visit frequently, as well as the used book store within the library that I buy from.

But I would say that, yes, 90% of my transactions are done with physical cards or with Apple Pay.

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
It never fails to amaze me as to how many folks they pull over who don't have either a drivers license or ID with them.
Personally I've been driving for over 60 years and have never been without my wallet which contains licence, ID and cash.

Same here, i never leave my id's home but i think i like what i see and read above. I'e the smart phone cases.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

In rural areas at least it's still common in the US to have some cash on hand. Or you know, a chicken in a box in the back of the truck when you're heading out to trade "something for something" - maybe you need some potatoes and have a chicken that's past laying eggs but still fit for the soup pot. That chicken is as good as cash if the woman who grew the potatoes agrees. I have sometimes traded rights to tap my few sugar maple trees for first call on some fresh eggs to be taken later on in spring. I'd have let the tapping rights for free, mind you, but that's not how it's done, it's something for something... and cash isn't always seen as any better than something one can eat without making a run to the store.

Still it's surprising to me to see that tiny shops in rural areas now mostly take credit or debit cards. I guess they've realized that the foot traffic is not always from "the neighborhood" and that lots of people are more used to paying with some form of plastic these days.

The old general store in the nearest village to my place eventually took debit and credit cards. Before that as a regular shopper there you just ran a tab and wrote them a check at the end of the month. They stopped extending credit though when some newer seasonal residents started skating through two seasons on their August bill by closing up their residence before the usual September exodus, and figuring that somewhere around the following May or June was soon enough to pay off some "trivial" grocery bill of a few hundred bucks. It stressed the grocer but she put up with it to have their trade during the high season in summer.

Ugh. File under why we can't have nice things. The store finally changed hands and the new owners ran it into the ground while refusing to continue a postal service contract (there went half the foot traffic), plus accepting plastic or cash to settle all trades at point of purchase, but meanwhile completely misunderstanding their customer base. They wanted to sell cranberry goat cheese and crostini but some of the customer base had budgets much more attuned to white sandwich bread and peanut butter.

Those customers were also more attuned to the old ways: promptly settling up with cash at the end of the month. In the newer scheme of things they started coming in just once a month, cash in hand, but they would buy like one log of cranberrry goat cheese, a container of some exotic soup made on the premises and maybe a box of crackers. A sad tale, that. The place had been in business for over 170 years, until someone had a rather inauthentic vision for "an old-time country store" but no sensible business plan suited to the customers' wallets and shopping habits. Now we're all having to slide plastic or pay cash at point of purchase in supermarkets 10 or 15 miles away.

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

A lot of times they’re lying and other times they don’t have ID deliberately. Yes, yes I’m cynical.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Healer Flame

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 1, 2019
In rural areas at least it's still common in the US to have some cash on hand. Or you know, a chicken in a box in the back of the truck when you're heading out to trade "something for something" - maybe you need some potatoes and have a chicken that's past laying eggs but still fit for the soup pot. That chicken is as good as cash if the woman who grew the potatoes agrees. I have sometimes traded rights to tap my few sugar maple trees for first call on some fresh eggs to be taken later on in spring. I'd have let the tapping rights for free, mind you, but that's not how it's done, it's something for something... and cash isn't always seen as any better than something one can eat without making a run to the store.

Still it's surprising to me to see that tiny shops in rural areas now mostly take credit or debit cards. I guess they've realized that the foot traffic is not always from "the neighborhood" and that lots of people are more used to paying with some form of plastic these days.

The old general store in the nearest village to my place eventually took debit and credit cards. Before that as a regular shopper there you just ran a tab and wrote them a check at the end of the month. They stopped extending credit though when some newer seasonal residents started skating through two seasons on their August bill by closing up their residence before the usual September exodus, and figuring that somewhere around the following May or June was soon enough to pay off some "trivial" grocery bill of a few hundred bucks. It stressed the grocer but she put up with it to have their trade during the high season in summer.

Ugh. File under why we can't have nice things. The store finally changed hands and the new owners ran it into the ground while refusing to continue a postal service contract (there went half the foot traffic), plus accepting plastic or cash to settle all trades at point of purchase, but meanwhile completely misunderstanding their customer base. They wanted to sell cranberry goat cheese and crostini but some of the customer base had budgets much more attuned to white sandwich bread and peanut butter.

Those customers were also more attuned to the old ways: promptly settling up with cash at the end of the month. In the newer scheme of things they started coming in just once a month, cash in hand, but they would buy like one log of cranberrry goat cheese, a container of some exotic soup made on the premises and maybe a box of crackers. A sad tale, that. The place had been in business for over 170 years, until someone had a rather inauthentic vision for "an old-time country store" but no sensible business plan suited to the customers' wallets and shopping habits. Now we're all having to slide plastic or pay cash at point of purchase in supermarkets 10 or 15 miles away.

Wow...totally different .

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

Hi @LizKat ! Thanks for the reminder to refill my prescription.

Oh, I was in line at Total Wine as someone was paying with cash. I asked the next person in line, “is that cash?” To which they replied, “Yeah. Yeah, I think so.”

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.