Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I was trying to remove my cat from my desk and she pooed on my display.

It is a Dell UltraSharp (I think) 2208WFP.

I know I shouldn't have used this method, but I put some Windex on a paper towel and cleaned it with that. Then I went over the whole thing with Windex and paper towel. I never shot Windex onto the display.

What should I do now? The affected area kinda smells like poo.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I would think you should just use the standard monitor type cleaners you can buy at the computer store and let the smell fade on its on, hoping for the best

Not much else you can do

Drink lots?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I hope you're joking.

The chemicals in Windex can haze most plastics, including LCD displays (Actually, I've never seen the end results on a display, but I've seen after effects on other transparent plastics.)

edit: I have to go with MacDawg - If the Windex didn't harm it too badly, try iKlear or just a damp cloth. Then, hope for the best on the odor fading.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
I would think you should just use the standard monitor type cleaners you can buy at the computer store and let the smell fade on its on, hoping for the best

Not much else you can do

Drink lots?

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

That sounds like the thing to do. What's so special about the display cleaners though?

The chemicals in Windex can haze most plastics, including LCD displays (Actually, I've never seen the end results on a display, but I've seen after effects on other transparent plastics.)

I forgot that, but do you seriously think it warrants a new display?

I haven't noticed much degradation of my display and I used to clean it with Windex, which I have found is not the ideal thing to use.

Shake 'n' Bake

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Mar 2, 2009
Albany
my dog pissed on my computer case and i febreezed the hell out of it and it still smells

still use it lol

That really sucks. I would have made a doggy bed out of it :cool:. People must give you weird looks when they smell it.

They should be tested and safe to use on your monitor (unlike Windex ;))

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

I mean what are the special ingredients?

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
NYC
I have used a lot of windex on a regular basis on all of my computer monitors (including a Dell 2005fpw) for 10 years and never had a problem whatsoever. I spray directly on the screen. "Monitor cleaning" products are, as far as I'm concerned, a big ripoff. Windex the sh** out of it. :D

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
I have used a lot of windex on a regular basis on all of my computer monitors (including a Dell 2005fpw) for 10 years and never had a problem whatsoever. I spray directly on the screen. "Monitor cleaning" products are, as far as I'm concerned, a big ripoff. Windex the sh** out of it. :D

Original Windex, with ammonia? If so, I'm very surprised there was no damage.

You're lucky with the direct spraying technique. That's just a bad idea with any electronics. But, if it works for you......

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
The main problem with Windex is that ammonia eats anti-glare coatings and similar things.

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
The main problem with Windex is that ammonia eats anti-glare coatings and similar things.

I'd agree the ammonia is the worse of the two (alcohol being the other main chemical), but alcohol can also affect some plastics. I do a fair amount of modeling, and I'm always very cautious using any solvents around transparent or gloss finished plastics.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.