Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AE14

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2013
Philly Burbs
My MagSafe sheath is on my 13 pro max- it is as good as the one I had for my 12 pro. In fact- the you is even firmer. Took off my smartish gripmunk in a second for this.

I’ll keep both, but my sheath will be my daily case

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
Mine arrived today (MagSafe Sheath in Navy). Fit is great on my 13 Pro - nice and tight, and none of the phone frame edges are visible. I have a Spigen Glas.tr EZ Fit screen protector, and the Sheath fits perfectly with it - the screen protector is just inside the edges of the case all the way around, no interference. The buttons have a nice tactile feel and all the buttons and cutouts are aligned perfectly. The case material is firm feeling, and the lightly pebbled texture makes for a nice positive grip. The Navy looks great with my graphite phone (what little you can see through the camera cutout).

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
My Sheath came in today (for the 13 Pro) and just like pretty much everyone else's, it fits perfectly. Wasn't able to get it by the time I had my phone, but I got a Spigen case on Amazon to hold me over until I got my Sheath. The Spigen is going bye bye and heading back to Amazon tomorrow.

Time to go get some more MagSafe accessories now.

Reactions: chanerz

jplusc

macrumors 6502a
Jul 5, 2010
Los Angeles
Mine arrived today (MagSafe Sheath in Navy). Fit is great on my 13 Pro - nice and tight, and none of the phone frame edges are visible. I have a Spigen Glas.tr EZ Fit screen protector, and the Sheath fits perfectly with it - the screen protector is just inside the edges of the case all the way around, no interference. The buttons have a nice tactile feel and all the buttons and cutouts are aligned perfectly. The case material is firm feeling, and the lightly pebbled texture makes for a nice positive grip. The Navy looks great with my graphite phone (what little you can see through the camera cutout).
Have the exact same setup (just different colors). I second all of the above. It’s perfect.

KO7

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2020
Canada
The lack of response from Caudabe to any of my emails starting from the 24th is concerning. Decided I don’t want to wait an unknown amount of time for my case to ship out and arrive so I’m going to buy a case locally today.

Emailed Caudabe to cancel my order, but not holding my breath for any response. I know launch weekend/week for a major phone release is hectic for a popular accessory provider, but it’s been a disappointing first experience with this brand’s service. Will stick to Nomad in the future for 3rd party cases.

rulymammoth

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2015
Loving my black sheath on the 13 pro so far! Fits and feels great!

Had a little issue with an ESR screen protector wanting to peel up on the left corner but going to try the spigen to see if it fits.

I've been using Caudabe's own screen protector for the past few years. Saves the hassle of wondering whether it'll fit with the case. They've worked great. Tiny gap between the screen protector and the case itself and no lifting as a result.

Reactions: AE14

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
This probably won’t be popular but here it goes.

I’ve been using Sheath cases since I think the iPhone 5. I have always really liked them and they’ve been on every phone since.
I’ve never gone with any of the larger phones but thought I’d try the 13 Pro Max.
Since Caudabe wasn’t shipping until after launch I got an Apple leather case to hold me over. I had never used one of the leather cases up until now.

I’ve been using the Sheath for two days now and I honestly like the Apple Leather case better. Here’s the pros and cons of both.

Caudabe Sheath
Pro
-Great material
-Rugged
-Looks good
Cons
-Heavy
-Bulky
-A little slippery for a big phone

Apple Leather
Pros
-Nice material
-Looks good
-Very slim
-Light
-Perfect amount of grip
Cons
-Delicate

When I first got the 13PM and put the Leather case on I thought wow this phone really isn’t too big. It felt very manageable.
When the Sheath arrived and went on, the first thing I thought was wow this thing is big.
The Sheath adds quite a bit more bulk and weight to the phone. I left it on and figured I’d get used to it.
Today I put the leather case back on and that instantly convinced me. The phone feels so much more manageable with a slimmer case.
In the past this has never been an issue because I’ve always had the smaller model.

tonileung

macrumors newbie
Sep 23, 2014
Hong Kong
Thanks for your post rstack18. It is very useful to me as I am choosing between leather case or Caudabe Sheath for my coming 13 pro. As I have never use the Sheath before, I am surprised that it is heavy and bulky than the leather case.

mouzouris

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2020

I’ve been using Sheath cases since I think the iPhone 5. I have always really liked them and they’ve been on every phone since.
I’ve never gone with any of the larger phones but thought I’d try the 13 Pro Max.
Since Caudabe wasn’t shipping until after launch I got an Apple leather case to hold me over. I had never used one of the leather cases up until now.

I’ve been using the Sheath for two days now and I honestly like the Apple Leather case better. Here’s the pros and cons of both.

Caudabe Sheath
Pro
-Great material
-Rugged
-Looks good
Cons
-Heavy
-Bulky

Apple Leather
Pros
-Nice material
-Looks good
-Very slim
-Light
-Perfect amount of grip
Cons
-Delicate

When I first got the 13PM and put the Leather case on I thought wow this phone really isn’t too big. It felt very manageable.
When the Sheath arrived and went on, the first thing I thought was wow this thing is big.
The Sheath adds quite a bit more bulk and weight to the phone. I left it on and figured I’d get used to it.
Today I put the leather case back on and that instantly convinced me. The phone feels so much more manageable with a slimmer case.
In the past this has never been an issue because I’ve always had the smaller model.
I had a sheath and an apple leather for my 12 pro max last year. To be honest the leather felt thicker than the sheath! Basically i am sure that the sheath is not thicker than the apple leather. I am not sure if this has changed this year?

Reactions: nycgeo and AE14

WNYX

macrumors 6502a
Oct 24, 2018
@rstark18 your post was very interesting to read. In the past, the Caudabe Sheath was thinner than the Apple leather. This changed last year for the 12 Pro Max. In my initial review, I mentioned how the Apple leather was just as thin as the Caudabe Sheath but taller, so it gave the impression that the Sheath was thinner. It appears maybe Caudabe has made the case thicker this year. I'm wondering if the size and weight of the Sheath is similar to Ringke Onyx or the Spigen Thin Fit. I definitely felt the weight and size (and the discomfort) of those cases when I tried them last year. I had my suspicions when I was looking at some of the pictures that were shared in this forum. The sides definitely looked thick in those pictures.

rstark18

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2009
Well after the last two comments I thought I'd break out the calipers and measure (with phone in case).
Caudabe Sheath
81.6mm wide
11.6mm thick
49g
Apple Leather
81.7mm wide
10.7mm thick
30g
I think the "perceived" bulk is from the back where the MagSafe is. It's definitely thicker there and that's probably where the extra weight is also.

Tmelon

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2011
Just got my MagSafe Sheath for the 13 Pro Max and I’ve gotta say it’s their best cast so far. The fit is absolutely perfect - no gaps anywhere like the ones for last year’s models had. It’s slightly thicker than last year’s model by about the thickness of a credit card but it’s not noticeable.

Reactions: AE14 and chanerz

MichaelMidnight

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2008
Los Angeles

Caudabe Sheath
Pro
-Great material
-Rugged
-Looks good
Cons
-Heavy
-Bulky

Apple Leather
Pros
-Nice material
-Looks good
-Very slim
-Light
-Perfect amount of grip
Cons
-Delicate

I'm with you. Long time fan of the Sheath but after going Apple Silicone for the iPhone 12 Pro Max, I decided to try the Sheath again. The back of the case is thicker and the whole phone feels heavier. And while I love the texture, I'm not sure if I need more time to get use to it, but it's not as "grippy" as the Apple Silicone case. I use my phone to take a lot of video and pictures and I'm a little unsure of how the Sheath will compare. As it stands grip wise, it goes from grippiest to slippiest: Apple Silicone, Apple Leather, and Caudabe Sheath.

shady16

macrumors 6502a
Oct 3, 2019
if anyone has it i would love to see the sierra blue with the navy sheath

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Uhh that’s mine and it is navy blue. It is really darker compare to the previous navy blue.

Attachments

• 31445C08-2EB1-4647-B151-70F138576331.jpeg
    31445C08-2EB1-4647-B151-70F138576331.jpeg
    474.8 KB · Views: 1,392
  • 40B8FE75-5601-40E9-A287-873AC896A967.jpeg
    40B8FE75-5601-40E9-A287-873AC896A967.jpeg
    470.5 KB · Views: 858
Reactions: bigup

KentuckyHouse

macrumors 68030
Jan 29, 2010
Lexington, KY.
@rstark18 your post was very interesting to read. In the past, the Caudabe Sheath was thinner than the Apple leather. This changed last year for the 12 Pro Max. In my initial review, I mentioned how the Apple leather was just as thin as the Caudabe Sheath but taller, so it gave the impression that the Sheath was thinner. It appears maybe Caudabe has made the case thicker this year. I'm wondering if the size and weight of the Sheath is similar to Ringke Onyx or the Spigen Thin Fit. I definitely felt the weight and size (and the discomfort) of those cases when I tried them last year. I had my suspicions when I was looking at some of the pictures that were shared in this forum. The sides definitely looked thick in those pictures.

I can answer part of this.

I’ve got both the Ringke Onyx and Caudabe Sheath for the 13 Pro Max and the Sheath is much heavier.

8cc01c2dfb830aca1ec92548f91484da.jpg

388925c2dd4835db1473307f27e7f27f.jpg

The Sheath is thicker all around as well.

Between the two, I prefer the Onyx, though I do love the Sheath. If Ringke would add MagSafe to the Onyx, it would be perfect.

The funny thing is, I’ve got the Synthesis coming soon, and if the 12 Pro Max version I had before is anything to go off of, it’s going to be a really heavy case combined with the heavier 13 Pro Max. I’m not sure it’ll be used that much because of the weight.

Reactions: WNYX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.