Caviar Launches $6,000+ Custom iPhone XS With Built-In Mechanical Skeleton Watch

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 17, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Caviar, a site known for creating extravagant, expensive replacement casings for Apple's iPhone models, today announced the launch of its latest custom creation, an iPhone XS with a built-in skeleton watch.

[​IMG]

The Grand Complications Skeleton collection, inspired by luxury watches, features iPhone XS and XS Max models in titanium, pink gold, and black and gold, all of which have mechanical watch components included right in the casing.

[​IMG]

The front of the iPhone has been left untouched, but the back features a mechanical watch with an accurate Swiss watch mechanism complemented by intricate guilloche work and matching engravings.

[​IMG]

According to Caviar, the watch built into the customized iPhones is wound manually through a crown that's included on the right side of the casing.

Caviar is limiting the Grand Complications Skeleton iPhones to 99 pieces in each colorway, with each iPhone numbered via an engraving on the side of the device.

[​IMG]

More details on the new Grand Complications Skeleton collection can be found on Caviar's website. The new iPhones are priced starting at $6,320 for a 64GB titanium iPhone XS model and go up to $8,080 for a black and gold iPhone XS Max with 512GB storage.

[​IMG]

Caviar also sells a range of other customized luxury iPhones made from unique materials and with intricate designs.

Article Link: Caviar Launches $6,000+ Custom iPhone XS With Built-In Mechanical Skeleton Watch

2. H.E. Pennypacker macrumors 6502

H.E. Pennypacker

I’m in. I spend that much on aftershave a week.

3. Hazmat401 macrumors newbie

Hazmat401

Gotta admit... that’s craftsmanship rite there. I would by one when I hit this mega millions on Friday

4. VoR macrumors 6502a

Buy a watch mechanism, epoxy it to the back of a phone and (attempt?) $$$.
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and all but... this is hideous!

5. omihek macrumors 6502

omihek

Here's the thing. I want one. But I think I would get tired of it after a few days. So I'll pass.

Oh and also $1,500 is the maximum I would ever spend on a phone. Apple might be able to convince me to spend $1,600 next year, but that's it for real.

6. Ambient80 macrumors newbie

Looks really nice, but I gotta imagine if you dropped it that it’s pretty much destroyed. That craftsmanship works on a watch since it’s strapped on your wrist. Dropping that thing would result in a thousand tiny pieces of metal flying in all directions, I feel like.

7. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

That's how you know it's luxurious. It wouldn't be luxury if it actually made sense.

I feel like you'll screw up the time that it's set to every time you put it in your pocket.

8. Return Zero macrumors 6502a

Return Zero

We finally have a suitable answer to those Android phones and their always-on OLED screen clocks!!

It's literally an old-school watch that's "always on" the phone! Take that, droids!

9. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

At least it's more useful than most expensive iPhone casings—though it's not very legible. Also that's pretty crappy to have the $6320 model only have 64GB of storage.

10. Will.O.Bie macrumors 6502

Will.O.Bie

I wonder what goes through the minds of these makers when they decide to go outside the box in design and pricing? I mean only Sultans and Kings would probably drop that kind of cash on something like that. Not to mention the dial on the side can get caught on something so easily, popping off the first time and there goes your $6000. The design is absolutely beautiful though.

11. zorinlynx macrumors 603

zorinlynx

You'd be surprised at how many tacky people there are with too much money who will jump on this.

Walk around Brickell City Center in Miami on a typical Saturday and you'll see tons of them.

12. jermwhl macrumors regular

jermwhl

Tacky people or this iPhone case?

13. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Seems like it has a transparent/crystal face, so I doubt that would happen.

I think the merging of relatively disposable tech to this type of craftsmanship doesn’t really make sense, though. But hey - each to their own!

14. Andronicus macrumors 6502a

If I bought it I would put a case on it.

15. ArtOfWarfare macrumors G3

ArtOfWarfare

I know the face of the watch will be fine. I meant that the crown would end up being spun around and then the clock wouldn't be set to the right time anymore.

16. CJM macrumors 65816

CJM

I kinda like it as a novelty. But oh man is the marketing spiel god awful.

17. GrumpyMom macrumors 604

GrumpyMom

Looks kind of Steampunk. When I had my gold XS Max I put a Steampunk wallpaper on it. Of course the wallpaper was free! And I could change it when I got sick of it.

I really like these, but I know I would get sick of that look after a couple of weeks. I wouldn’t mind having a fancy case with a design etched on it that looked a bit like these.

18. lunarworks macrumors 65816

I'm guessing wireless charging isn't going to work so well on these ones.

19. tridley68 macrumors 6502

tridley68

20. D.T. macrumors G3

D.T.

Perfect user, post, article synergy ... :D

upload_2018-10-17_16-31-9.png

Hahaha, that's outstanding :D

21. Shoju macrumors regular

Shoju

22. RodThePlod macrumors 6502a

RodThePlod

Ahhh my bad. Hopefully they’ve given due thought to that, and that it requires reasonable force to pull the crown out before it can be rotated.

23. AustinJerry macrumors newbie

Disgusting display of extravagant consumption. There are more charitable ways to spend disposable income.

24. now i see it macrumors 68030

Isn't that kinda like strapping a horse to a Prius?