CDMA iPhone 4 Headed to Other Countries?

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

While the Verizon iPhone 4 announcement this week captured all the headlines, the fact that the new CDMA-based hardware is now ready to go also opens the door for other major CDMA carriers around the world to carry the device. According to DigiTimes, the CDMA iPhone 4 is set to rapidly make its way to China, Japan, and South Korea, with other countries also likely to see the device.

The report also offers some information on the supply chain for the CDMA iPhone 4, which has reportedly been tooled up to produce 7 million units this quarter, although it is unclear how many of those will make their way into the hands of consumers by the end of the quarter and how many will be used to fill out channel inventory for sales going forward.

As had been previously noted, Pegatron has been brought onboard as a second iPhone 4 manufacturer, joining Apple's long-standing partner Foxconn. Today's report also offers some clarity to an earlier report that both Foxconn and Pegatron would be producing the CDMA iPhone 4. The new report indicates that Foxconn's shipments of the CDMA iPhone 4 began in December and are headed to the United States, while Pegatron will begin shipping CDMA units for the rest of the world this month.

China Telecom, that country's third-largest carrier, has already been rumored to be in discussions to carry the CDMA iPhone, and a pair of Indian CDMA carriers, Reliance and Tata, have also been claimed to be talking with Apple about bringing the iPhone to their networks.

Article Link: CDMA iPhone 4 Headed to Other Countries?

fortetfn

macrumors member
Aug 15, 2006
CDMA has better reception than GSM in some areas. However, it lacks of the internet and phone calls functioning simultaneously. Is it really worth it?

ImNoSuperMan

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2005
.. and a pair of Indian CDMA carriers, Reliance and Tata, have also been claimed to be talking with Apple about bringing the iPhone to their networks.
iPhone 3GS released in India in April 2010.

Its mid Jan 2011 and iPhone 4 GSM is still nowhere to be seen. I'm not going to hold my breadth for the CDMA version showing up anytime soon either. Pretty much given up on owning an iPhone anymore :(

barcafan1990

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

All I want to hear is "iPhone coming to Sprint!"

Come on when is it going to happen?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
CDMA has better reception than GSM in some areas. However, it lacks of the internet and phone calls functioning simultaneously. Is it really worth it?
If a wireless company has a CDMA network and has been investing in it for a decade, then yes it is. No company is going to drop CDMA and switch to another 3G technology. The alternatives, including GSM, have just as many pros and cons as CDMA. These companies are working towards 4G just like everyone else. Why not enjoy a CDMA iPhone until a 4G version is ready?

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
China and India maybe, but people who can afford an iPhone there can afford a GSM version though.

DCJ001

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Actually, Steve Wozniak offered Verizon advice as to the solution to this issue, and his recommendation will be included as an option when the Verizon iPhones go on sale:

http://goo.gl/RWGVE

fox10078

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2009
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

DCJ001 said:
Actually, Steve Wozniak offered Verizon advice as to the solution to this issue, and his recommendation will be included as an option when the Verizon iPhones go on sale:

http://goo.gl/RWGVE
That was quite funny

AmpSkillz

macrumors regular
I love sim cards. So no cdma for me :( correct me if i'm wrong
well that "iphone 5 " that was leaked here recently looked like the new CDMA version (buttons and seams) but also had space for a sim card so I am willing to bet that if this 1st generation CDMA iphone on Verizon does not have a sim card then the next iPhone on verizon probably will have one

some of Verizons smart phones do

dacapo

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
China and India maybe, but people who can afford an iPhone there can afford a GSM version though.
?? Are GSM phones inherently more expensive? :confused:

In any case, if this news about CDMA iPhone availability in the RoW is true, then 2011 will be another banner year for Apple. Another great year to be a shareholder and/or app developer.

iPhoneCollector

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2010
Home
well that "iphone 5 " that was leaked here recently looked like the new CDMA version (buttons and seams) but also had space for a sim card so I am willing to bet that if this 1st generation CDMA iphone on Verizon does not have a sim card then the next iPhone on verizon probably will have one

some of Verizons smart phones do
At least the "iphone 5" will have a sim card slot. But the "home buttonless ipad" is making me feel really uncomfortable

nexsta

macrumors 6502
Jul 21, 2007
I still don't get it why they can't agree on one technology, why others are using CDMA ? What are the advantages?

srxtr

macrumors 6502a
Jul 1, 2010
According to DigiTimes, the CDMA iPhone 4 is set to rapidly make its way to China, Japan, and South Korea, with other countries also likely to see the device.
I thought South Korea already had the iPhone 4?

ChobyMX

macrumors newbie
Jan 13, 2011
Mexico City
they are already selling the cmda version of the iphone, on mexicans carrier iusacell: http://www.iusacell.com.mx/iphone/
Iusacell sells the GSM iphone version, tho Iusacell is a CDMA + GSM carrier maybe Iusacell can also sell the CDMA version maybe at lower prices, before mexican carrier Telcel was the only one allowed to sell the iphone here, now iphone 4 is in Telcel (GSM), Iusacell( CDMA+GSM) and Movistar (GSM)

MCMarshall

macrumors newbie
Dec 10, 2010
UK
Good luck trying to use a CDMA phone for travelling. In the UK I'm not sure if any networks support it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.