Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Surely you could refuse their valuation and get the phone back? Otherwise that’s literal theft and can go to court without class action.
Tried that then they “couldn’t locate the phone.” Probably already parts. AT&Ts ToS makes you go through their legal form and private arbitration first. Working with AT&Ts President’s office now, they promised $1,000 back, they gave us $200 and now will not return any calls. When I say top to bottom, I mean this company is a scam. Literally. Been going on almost a year and we had been 15 year customers.

Bryan Bowler

macrumors 601
Sep 27, 2008
Just just giggles and grins, I looked closely at the T-Mobile deal. The requirement to switch to Magenta Max would increase my monthly bill $30 a month. And to accept the $500 T-Mobile credit, you're commiting to 30 months of Magenta Max....so that's a $900 cost to me for what amounts to a $500 credit.

No thanks!

miniyou64

macrumors 6502a
Jul 8, 2008
Still trying to figure out why it wouldn’t make sense to just pay off my IUP loan and trade in my 12 for a free 13 with ATT. Like it would be a $500 iPhone owned free and clear (or at least more or less free with the credit) I guess maybe inability to trade for the 14 in a year?

also anyone else who upgraded day one with IUP for 12 have 1 more payment still before upgrade eligible? Wondering if they are going to sort that or if I just need to make the monthly payment early to be eligible??
Please, please stick with Apple and don’t fall for the AT&T scam. So many people have had problems including me…

EW800

macrumors 6502
Jul 4, 2012
I am current with Verizon and have the Xs Max. Has anyone seen anything that would show how much Verizon would give me for upgrading to the 13 Pro Max? Any disadvantage to going through the carrier, other than I assume they lowball on the amount given?

MadeTheSwitch

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2009
Just just giggles and grins, I looked closely at the T-Mobile deal. The requirement to switch to Magenta Max would increase my monthly bill $30 a month. And to accept the $500 T-Mobile credit, you're commiting to 30 months of Magenta Max....so that's a $900 cost to me for what amounts to a $500 credit.

No thanks!
Yup. It’s a scam. They have been trying everything lately to get people on these Magenta Max plans. The Max part being max benefit and price to them. Not the “amazing” deal that the tweet in this story implied.

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
Anyone else on Verizon planning to change to an unlimited plan? I don't know if I should do it now, or when I get the iPhone in order to get the trade in deal. Normally I'd stick to my value plan, but the unlimited plans are enticing with the extras like Disney plus.

sw1tcher

macrumors 603
Jan 6, 2004
Last year AT&T scammed my family out of $1000 after we traded in a perfect condition iPhone 8 Plus and they made up 3 different excuses and gave us $25 instead of what was promised with no recourse. Even with proof the phone was perfect (took videos before sending) and hours on the phone. And we weren’t the only ones, AT&T forums are packed with people like me complaining about the same thing. Maybe it’ll go class action. Save yourself the headaches and never, ever do one of these trade ins with AT&T - just don’t do business with them at all.
And a lot of people got screwed by Apple/Phobio last year (during Black Friday/Christmas period) when people were taking advantage of a deal from Cricket Wireless. They were getting iPhone SE 2020 for $100 or less and trading them in for Apple store credit (I think it was around $220 at the time). But Apple/Phobio would tell some people their brand new (some with plastic still on them) iPhone's were scratched or damaged and offered much much less.

This was when Apple closed a bunch of Apple Stores due to Covid-19 so in-store trade-in's were pretty much impossible.

Some people were smart and had the foresight to take pics/videos of the iPhone and noted what the serial # was just in case.

This can happen with any company if they're using a 3rd party company to evaluate the trade in item

Last edited:

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I find this confusing. I have an iPhone Xs on a Verizon unlimited plan. If i got the iPhone 13 Pro, i can't figure out how much it would be if I traded in the Xs. Apple should let you get as far as the checkout screen to figure this out.

It's $700 for the XS. If you plug the XS into the calculator your monthly payment comes out to about $13, or about $400 for 30 months. That's for the 128gb Pro Max at least.

Palliser

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2007
USA
Or $200 if you stay with your current plan?
As per fine print '.., or $200 bill credit if you stay with another plan.'
Yup. Again… not a good deal if you are a current T-Mobile customer. As an iPhone 11 user I’m much better off just selling private party.

johnediii

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2014
Make your 12 payments and you can upgrade whenever you want.
this is all well and good but I had to make 13 payments last year because the phone wasn't released until November. They should let us go early by the number of extra months we had to pay last year. Just this year because of COVID messing up the schedule last year. Just saying.

Reactions: CrimsonKnight

BishamonX

macrumors member
Oct 16, 2011
this is all well and good but I had to make 13 payments last year because the phone wasn't released until November. They should let us go early by the number of extra months we had to pay last year. Just this year because of COVID messing up the schedule last year. Just saying.
Check the Apple Store app on your phone. It will state your eligibility. Apple has moved this date up in the past due to prior year launches that were later.

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
I prefer to pay for my phone outright but Verizon’s trade in-offer only seems offer the option of making monthly payments. I guess this the usual bait and switch method for locking you into a contract.

The device payment plans are actually pretty fair now. It isn't like the old 2 year contracts, where if you want out, you have all sorts of termination fees and whatnot.

Basically, you get an interest free loan from the carriers. If you want out, you just have to pay off whatever money you still owe on the device. Of course the credits are equally spread out on a monthly basis as well, so if you want out early, you also loose any additional rebate credits you might have gotten until the device is paid off.

All and all, definitely much better than how things used to be.

Reactions: jcshas

SpotOnT

macrumors 6502a
Dec 7, 2016
Anyone else on Verizon planning to change to an unlimited plan? I don't know if I should do it now, or when I get the iPhone in order to get the trade in deal. Normally I'd stick to my value plan, but the unlimited plans are enticing with the extras like Disney plus.

I just upgrade from a fixed GB per month plan to unlimited on Verizon.

Things to note are the basic "unlimited" plan 1) limits streaming to SD, 2) does not allow tethering and 3) can throttled at anytime. If it throttles really depends on how congested your area is, but around here I get seriously throttled during rush hour every day.

To avoid the throttling you have to go for a mid tier "unlimited" plan, which is an extra $10 a month. That is what I ended up having to do.

So if your current fixed data plan is enough data for you - keep that in mind. Since the fixed plans do not throttle and allow tethering.

That being said, the "free" Disney Plus, Hulu and ESPN that comes with the mid tier "unlimited" plan is a nice perk.

Reactions: spinedoc77

igneousc

macrumors 6502
May 13, 2011
the carrier deals are crap. I can trade in my 12 max and keep paying $25 a month for Visible.

ScholarsInk

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2010
It's a bit weird that the trade in values (for AT&T) are tied directly to which kind of phone you're trading *to*. So I could trade my iPhone 12 mini for $700 off of an iPhone 13 mini or $999 off of an iPhone 13 Pro. Getting upgraded storage on the mini will cost me $299 extra (which I'm okay with, but it's weird because the storage-upgraded mini costs as much as the Pro, which would cost me nothing extra.)

Reactions: BluefinTuna

gtg465x

macrumors 6502a
Sep 12, 2016
So with AT&T, how does this work if we did the deal last year? Last year I traded in my iPhone X for $700 off a 12 Pro Max, but you had to pay in installments to get the deal, so I’m currently paying $1100-$700=$400 over 36 months, so they’re charging me about $11 per month on my bill with 24 months left before I own the 12 Pro Max outright. If I want to get the $1000 off the 13 Pro Max deal, do I

A) have to pay off the final 24 months for my current 12 Pro Max and forfeit last year’s discounts for those months… meaning a ($1100 / 36) * 24 = $733 payoff?

B) have to pay off the final 24 months while still receiving the discounts for those months… meaning a $11 * 24 = $267 payoff?

C) not have to payoff the 12 Pro Max… just trade it in and they cancel my remaining 24 payments?

If it’s C and I really only have to pay $100 over 36 months to trade my 12 Pro Max for a 13 Pro Max, I’m down. But if it’s A or even B, I’m probably not down.

Last edited:

mashinhead

macrumors 68030
Oct 7, 2003
I'm so confused. this makes it read like you get a deal if you have an unlimited plan. And verizon can never communicate anything simply or clearly

Gjwilly

macrumors 68040
May 1, 2011
SF Bay Area
So with AT&T, how does this work if we did the deal last year? Last year I traded in my iPhone X for $700 off a 12 Pro Max, but you had to pay in installments to get the deal, so I’m currently paying $1100-$700=$400 over 36 months, so they’re charging me about $11 per month on my bill with 24 months left before I own the 12 Pro Max outright. If I want to get the $1000 off the 13 Pro Max deal, do I

A) have to pay off the final 24 months for my current 12 Pro Max and forfeit last year’s discounts for those months… meaning a ($1100 / 36) * 24 = $733 payoff?

B) have to pay off the final 24 months while still receiving the discounts for those months… meaning a $11 * 24 = $267 payoff?

C) not have to payoff the 12 Pro Max… just trade it in and they cancel my remaining 24 payments?

If it’s C and I really only have to pay $100 over 36 months to trade my 12 Pro Max for a 13 Pro Max, I’m down. But if it’s A or even B, I’m probably not down.
It’s A

Reactions: BluefinTuna

bchery21

macrumors 6502a
Aug 3, 2009
Boston, MA
Yeah, I'm on a grandfathered Simple Choice plan for 6 lines and there's no way I'm switching to one of their more expensive plans. Trade-in directly with Apple it is.
Same. I’m on the grandfathered 2 Lines ONE Plan which gets me unlimited talk, text and data for $100 for 2 lines. Factor in the $90 my job reimburses me, I’m literally paying $10/mo. Can’t be beat.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.