Ceramic.. They didn't mention it would be that expensive

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by jamesjingyi, Sep 7, 2016.

1. jamesjingyi macrumors 6502a

jamesjingyi

Anybody hat a look at it on the website? Damn its nice but damnnnn that price tag :O Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 21.23.27.png Screen Shot 2016-09-07 at 21.22.50.png

2. Cassady macrumors 6502a

Cassady

Figured as much... IIRC, Rado have been making beautiful ceramic watches for years, and they are *not* cheap!

3. KPOM macrumors G5

It's the new Edition. Compared to last year's, it is dirt cheap. I figured it would be priced similarly to the Hermes.

On a side note, the Hermes now comes with a special Sport Band!

4. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

10x less expensive that last years Edition.:D

5. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Yup. This price isn't far from much of Rado's lineup apart from the hardened steel Diastars.

6. azfalcons Suspended

azfalcons

to be honest its cheaper than I was expecting...still not buying it though

7. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

"Damn that price tag" makes sense with the old $10,000-17,000 Edition but not this one.

8. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

Who else wants a black (or grey, or a Rado-like plasma metallic) version?

9. Yr Blues macrumors 68020

I want everything in ceramic white, now. MacBook. iPhone.

10. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

I for one am shocked that the 10k+ Apple Watch Edition is something Apple phased out. If only someone could have predicted that nobody would have cared about spending so much on an Apple Watch.

"But.. but.. rich people don't even think when they spend money, this is pennies to them, and it's a status symbol that everyone is going to want.. you'll see! Switzerland is toast!"

11. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

I wouldn't mind a plasma ceramic AW + plasma ceramic link bracelet, but not sure if that's a smart buy (just like the $10,000-17,000 Edition) because of short longevity in terms of technology.

$1,299 for the all white ceramic is certainly reasonable, but I'm not a fan of white-bodied watches.

12. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

They didn't mention the price due to the poor response to the announcement of the gold's price last time around.

13. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

To be honest, it looks like something that would carry a $1000+ premium. Not because it looks gorgeous or anything, just because it looks preppy :p

It does look very clean. Not my style though. Will go well with all the soccer mom's in Mercedes and BMW SUVs.

14. cube macrumors G5

What I said in the main thread.

MSRP for a ceramic Swatch is something like 115 EUR.

15. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

They didn't mention the prices of the original Edition collection in the first keynote either.

16. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

You know "ceramic" includes a large amount of composites of very different properties and prices... right?

17. cube macrumors G5

Yes. I also know Apple massively overprices this kind of stuff in its attempt to give it a "luxury" image.

18. Andropov macrumors regular

Andropov

I think they've learnt from the Apple Watch Edition. I also suspect this model is overpriced but there's no way to know without knowledge of the type of ceramic and manufacturing process. However, "ceramics" doesn't sound nearly as good as "pure gold" (at least not to non-watch people) so there's no point in trying to position it as a luxury item when they could've easily used gold, titanium or any other well-known luxurious material.

19. cube macrumors G5

For 1K, you can only get gold-plated. Better ceramic.

20. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Ceramic is expensive, but let's be real, it's a watch - there isn't a whole lot of it on there. A small ceramic pot has 10x more surface area.

It's overpriced due to the luxury of the design, and likely the smooth, natural feeling characteristics of ceramic.

21. xtshabi macrumors member

I suppose some rich folks might buy this, but to me, Apple Watches are disposable electronic goods, so it doesn't make sense to spend on difference in case material.

I like black ceramic on watches and that might have been kind of cool though.

22. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

But it's so Purty. I need to see it with other bands! Primarily, the bands I already have. :)

23. BarracksSi Suspended

BarracksSi

I don't think it's the same ceramic you get in a teapot (which is what most cheap ceramic watches are made from).

24. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Yeah I mean not the exact same, but it's more similar than dissimilar.

25. richpjr macrumors 68030

richpjr

Ceramic is 4x as hard as stainless steel? First thing I thought of when I heard ceramic was the thing shattering if you dropped it. Guess not.