Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Augure

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2009
My understanding is that rather than Intel try and push out all new processors and technology every year/cycle, they have a tick cycle which is a minor revision, basically taking the current market technology and refining it. The "Tock" cycle is when they do a "BIG/MAJOR" update. hope that makes sense. That's just how I understand it, someone else may be able to clarify better.

Yep, you made it clearer to me if that's what it is, thanks.

So where are we know, or what about the Arrandale/Nehalem and stuff ?
I also heard things about Tick-Tock having stuff to do with the clock of the processor, but I guess it's to technical for me yet.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
What I except:
ESATA
USB 3.0 (too soon for light peak)
Blue-Ray RWTR (not too soon)
i7 (And why not i5, as it is powerful enough)
Graphic Tablet-like pad (with a stylus you can hide somewhere under the MPB)

You've created a no-win scenario.

bigwig

macrumors 6502a
Sep 15, 2005
My understanding is that rather than Intel try and push out all new processors and technology every year/cycle, they have a tick cycle which is a minor revision, basically taking the current market technology and refining it. The "Tock" cycle is when they do a "BIG/MAJOR" update.
One is a process shrink, the other is an architecture revision, each happening every 2 years and staggered 1 year apart. I think Intel is widening Tick/Tock to 3 years instead of 2.

Given that Nehalem is quite late, Intel's comments about "needing to get the most out of Nehalem", and AMD's current weakness, I'd say there's no way Sandy Bridge debuts 1Q11 as it's scheduled to. I think it will be a year later (1Q12).

Rocketman

macrumors 603
I think Intel is widening Tick/Tock to 3 years instead of 2.

I think this is a smart strategy by Intel. Perhaps stretch it another year as well. They are starting to bump up against the limitations of physics and chemistry with this whole silicon wafer thing.

They will need a new paradigm to have the doubling every x years in the future. I think it is more likely to see occasional large ah-ha moments than to have the steady rise we have become accustomed to for the past 40 years.

They will optimize the chips and packaging to the application instead. They LOVE Apple. 27PE and 60% margin. Buy Intel.

Rocketman

arkmannj

macrumors 68000
Oct 1, 2003
UT
One is a process shrink, the other is an architecture revision, each happening every 2 years and staggered 1 year apart. I think Intel is widening Tick/Tock to 3 years instead of 2.

Given that Nehalem is quite late, Intel's comments about "needing to get the most out of Nehalem", and AMD's current weakness, I'd say there's no way Sandy Bridge debuts 1Q11 as it's scheduled to. I think it will be a year later (1Q12).

Thanks for the more descriptive clarification.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I think this is a smart strategy by Intel. Perhaps stretch it another year as well. They are starting to bump up against the limitations of physics and chemistry with this whole silicon wafer thing.

They will need a new paradigm to have the doubling every x years in the future. I think it is more likely to see occasional large ah-ha moments than to have the steady rise we have become accustomed to for the past 40 years.

They will optimize the chips and packaging to the application instead. They LOVE Apple. 27PE and 60% margin. Buy Intel.

Rocketman

According the some University Professors, the next step is Doped Synthetic Diamond.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/252268-28-diamond-silicon-processors

After Diamond, the only viable steps left would be Bio/Quantum computing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KUMXe9gh7c

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.