CES 2019: Samsung Announces New Displays Aimed at Saving Desk Space, Gaming and Content Creation

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 3, 2019.

1. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

The price of the monitor is actually pretty good for the size. To get a VESA mount and a 27” monitor is probably more than $399

2. Shiro_Simba Suspended

Shiro_Simba

CES!! Yes!

I do like that gaming monitor

3. ChristianVirtual macrumors 601

ChristianVirtual

That would be many columns in my regular monster excel files in one screen ... or a gant graph of a project. Nice.

4. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

at least its aligned with the window frame :p

5. Anarchy99 macrumors 6502a

Plot twist:
    you secretly work for Samsung and those are the same 1337 Photoshop skillz that caused there to be no cables including power for the lamp.:D:p

6. BuffaloTF macrumors 6502a

I'm not surprised. Why would you want to tie up a USB-C port and the bus for the display if it isn't 5K when you could, and should, just be using the HDMI which will drive multiple 4Ks and especially these 1440s?

7. deebinem macrumors regular

deebinem

I think that "pink pot" is actually a coffee mug.

I'm more turned off by the modern chair paired with the English country table...

8. jimthing, Jan 4, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2019

jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

Boring.

Get back to me when I don't have to use two 5K's next to each other to get double-27" Retina quality 218ppi like I currently have to use, instead of them being in a single centrally-bezelless display.
    ...likey when TB4 arrives, or perhaps if they used DSC compression?

The best '5K' widescreen you can currently get, is only a 5K2K (i.e. 4K + 33% extra, ~11Mpx), not true 5K3K ~15Mpx (i.e. 5K6K, 30Mpx!). 11 vs. 30Mpx – we're nowhere near a double 5K3K display.

9. loybond macrumors 6502

lol I hope you're being sarcastic. Relevant is the exact polar opposite word for those displays, though I'll agree they were nice looking.

10. vault macrumors regular

Pretty much every ultrawide on the market is curved, and the curvatures become more aggressive, especially in gaming monitors.
    Yes, the stands in these monitors are huge and ugly, requiring deep desks, but sane people don't use them, opting instead for vesa mounts/arms.

11. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

My desk has cable management nearly this good, so it’s possible. Computer could be on the floor. Some people still have those, lol.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 6, 2019 ---
    Hah, my TV is a 2009 LG model at only 42”. I recently upgraded my display though which was at one time a very nice 1920x1200 IPS from 2008 that has color shifted to crap and been banged up in a few moves. I’ve got it in my workshop now. For the studio I’ve got a new 27” 4K LG display that seems to be a nice balance between a display for design and photo editing as well as gaming on my Xbox One X. Anyway, it’s going to be pretty crazy leaping forward 10 years on my TV. Just not sure yet if I should get a Super Bowl sale on a 2018 model or get something brand new from CES. I’ve been hoping the OLED TVs come down in price and have less burn-in issues.

12. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Oh wow! Yeah my monitor is old but I know I definitely got it in this decade haha. Upgrading that will feel to me what upgrading your TV will feel like for you.

Do the OLEDs have that many issues with burn-in? I mean I know that's a possibility with any OLED display, but does a big one like that just increase the odds of it happening because of all the extra real estate it has? The prices are certainly higher than regular LED 4K TVs, but really not that much higher considering the much better display you're getting. At least in my opinion, anyway. Plus that'll be one hell of a future-proof product since the industry is obviously heading into OLED and 4K everything and will stay there for some time.

13. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Yeah I did a lot of research on it before buying my display because I wanted an OLED display and there was like only one model line in existence and it was several thousands of dollars. So I looked up why and OLED is organic and has problems with retaining images if they aren’t frequently changing. Mobile devices are full screen for apps and the content changes a lot. Also device manufacturers have some software tricks they use to help with it, like sub pixel shifting or something. TVs aren’t as bad as computer displays that have the same UI all the time, but aren’t quite as good as phones at changing, especially if you watch the same channel a lot or leave something paused too long. Idk exactly how it happens but it seemed like a lot of people had issues with that. It seems like the best compromise is a lot of local dimming zones or wait for mLED which combines the best features of LCD and OLED with even lower power consumption. So part of me wants to wait on that but I want to see if any news about mLED comes out of CES. Otherwise I might just go for a medium-spec 65” 4K and upgrade again in a few years and either sell it or put it in my studio.

14. baryon macrumors 68040

baryon

The prices are good but the pixel density doesn't seem that great. The larger Samsung "space saver" display is 4k at 32 inches, while the iMac is 5k at 27 inches, which makes for far greater density. I just got used to not seeing pixels at all and wouldn't ever want to go back to the fuzzy displays of the past.

15. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

I’ve got a 2017 model Panasonic OLED. It is an amazing screen. It does have pixel orbiting (which is never noticeable) and it does some screen wipe thing when going into standby after 4 hours use (don’t see anything on screen, just the power button goes yellow). Screen burn is more likely if you watch news or shopping channels with the ticker, but I don’t, and only get a chance to watch for an hour or so at the end of the day, so not worried.

It would be a different matter with a monitor. One or two OLED monitors have appeared, but I’ll wait for microLED or hopefully ELQD (self-emissive electroluminescent quantum dot, as opposed to the current photoluminescent quantum dot backlight filters) displays.

16. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

I haven't even heard of ELQD. Sounds interesting. Is the primary benefit being that it would be cheaper than mLED but with similar features?

17. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

ELQD should have the highest colour purity and be simpler than microLED, especially as it seems likely microLED will need a quantum dot layer for easier manufacturing (it will be easier to have all the LEDs the same colour, then filter them with QDs), so cheaper.

18. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

I'll honestly probably just stick with my Samsung 50" 4K TV for the next couple years and see what else the industry churns out. That stuff about ELQD that @Moonjumper was talking about sounds insane. I'm highly intrigued by the current lineup of OLED models on the market, but I don't think I could justify three grand or more for a new TV right now...

For me the ultimate TV of the future would be at least 4K (though let's be honest here, that's really all the resolution we need in a TV for many years to come :p) be capable of exceptional brightness (something like 1500 nits would be mind blowing!) and absolutely the thinnest bezels ever, which at that point would probably be just no bezels at all.

19. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

Apparently the prototype Samsung 75” microLED shown at CES can do 4000 nits! The future is bright.

The acronyms are getting confusing. Samsung are now using Micro LED, and Nanosys QDEL. And there are multiple other ways I have seen both the microLED and ELQD technologies named.

20. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

4000?? I just..I can’t even fathom that
    Wish I could’ve seen it in person

21. jimthing macrumors 65816

jimthing

4000 is bright alright. But compared to a 500nits monitor you're sitting a foot in front of, these you're sitting a distance away. (Lol, if you used it as a monitor, you'd go blind I suspect! Not that you would, as your field of view would make you turn/lift your head all over the place.)

And yes, these acronyms are getting bloody annoying, too: which is best, which is going to become affordable, and when?

22. GoodWheaties macrumors 6502a

GoodWheaties

Curved TVs have went away but curved monitors make sense because it is usually only one person looking at it from the center. Not to mention the fact that on large flat monitors mean you are always looking at the edges at an angle.

23. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

If it is capable of 4000, but only being used at 500, it should be under-stressed! If only the same were true of OLED, perhaps there would be less chance of burn-in.

But the very high nits become more useful with higher dynamic range. It allows such things as stars to twinkle nicely. 4000 nits across the whole screen might mean a display doubling as a suntan bed.

24. macduke macrumors G3

macduke

Have you guys heard of ULED? I just learned about it the other day. It's pretty ingenious. Basically they take two LCD panels and stack them to have black levels near OLED but for a much lower price. The way it works is you have the typical LCD backlight, then you have a 1080p B&W LCD and this basically creates two million local dimming zones. Then on top of that you have a 4K full color display. This drastically lowers the black areas on the screen to where they're close enough to OLED (within a fraction of a percent of light coming through) that the difference is negligible. Linus Tech Tips on YouTube did a short video hands-on at CES. That guy is really unforgiving and skeptical of claims when it comes to new technology but he seemed legitimately impressed viewing it in person.

25. Moonjumper macrumors 68000

Moonjumper

I saw that a couple of days ago. It will be interesting to see how much cheaper than OLED it will be with the extra costs of an extra LCD, although Hisense are usually good on price.

The report I saw says the TV can reach 2,900 nits, and almost perfect contrast. Plus of course there should be no burn-in as it is LCD. Hisense claim an existing ULED branded model is capable of 99.98% of DCI-P3 colours, so hopefully this one is also. Sounds like it has a lot of potential.