CES 2019: Sony's Upcoming 4K and 8K TVs to Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. ROGmaster macrumors 6502

Nonsense. The app will be blocked on anything that is not a supported Sony TV.
    And anyway I don't see why android users would care in the first place.

2. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

And I just bought an AF9 on January 1st. It was nice to be on the cutting edge for all of six days. :)

3. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

Sony uses lg's oled panels.
    If you dont want you old tech oled sell it to me ill take it off your hands ;)

What do you mean performance? like the software side of things? or motion?

4. Henrar macrumors newbie

Henrar

Software side. Opening a menu and navigating while watching content can take seconds.

5. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

id just use my 4k appletv with it and not the tv's apps.

6. WatchFromAfar macrumors 65816

WatchFromAfar

You're looking at it backwards. TV manufactures aren't paying Apple licensing for access to their platform; Apple are making their platform available for TVs to increase market penetration.

Put simply Apple knows almost everyone wants a TV, not everyone wants an iOS powered Apple TV box.

7. supertomtom, Jan 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2019

supertomtom macrumors 6502

supertomtom

In the mean time, can Apple also make their own devices talk to each other?

Not being able to control the Apple TV through the HomePod sometimes makes you wonder what the point of having their own ecosystem is. Especially when these 3rd party TVs will now have Siri functionality.

8. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

they should already do that with the applewatch or an iPhone with just Siri. There is a lot of things apple needs to do with software.

9. swm macrumors regular

10. CBlakeston, Jan 8, 2019

CBlakeston macrumors 6502

It’s because it’s Android 7. Newer TVs, like my AF9, run android 8 and also have new chipsets and processors. Android is responsive and flies. The good news is you get a firmware update for your AF8 to Android 8 anytime now which should help a lot.

11. JHBrown macrumors member

I payed $1149 for my 65” X900F through AAFES (I’m former Air Force) with no taxes, and free shipping. They can keep their AirPlay.

12. chinito77 macrumors member

chinito77

You have to disable google cast from that TV. I have a 2017 Sony Bravia OLED and Google crap slowed my TV to a halt. After I disabled most of the Google services, my TV runs at full speed. Yes I have an Apple TV4K but YouTube and Netflix work much faster than the Apple apps. I'll wait till 2020 to replace my TV and chuck my Apple TV out the window!

13. oldtime macrumors 6502

It's crazy how not too long ago anything over about 49-55" seemed insane and only for the super rich to put in their home theaters. Now 75-100" seems like a perfectly cromulent size of television to mount on the wall of my ****** little studio apt.

14. iSayuSay, Jan 8, 2019

iSayuSay macrumors 68040

iSayuSay

Understandable concerns, but Apple has been doing this for a while. CarPlay is a licensed Apple interface that plays on top of third party hardwares. I don’t expect this interface would be as good as Apple’s own hardware with timely updates and support, but then again like I suggest, it’s a watered down version with some feature loss. Let’s say a disabled content purchase, but able to play any subscription/purchased items.

This will make Apple TV still a viable option if we want a full experience with tvOS. But basic functions can be fulfilled with barebone tvOS, along with AirPlay and HomeKit support.

There’s also HomeKit and MFI licensing in case you’re worried about TV SoC being not powerful enough to run Apple’s interface. I think manufacturers will be able to obey to the specification and it will run only on higher end TVs, which should be great inside and out.

15. zombierunner macrumors 65816

zombierunner

I am so pissed at all the new TVs getting airplay 2 support. I bought a TV in 2017.

16. iapplelove macrumors 601

iapplelove

I have no clue what Air play 2 will bring to the table ...too lazy to search too

17. Remy149 macrumors regular

I prefer using HomeKit and Siri over both amazon and google.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 8, 2019 ---
    You actually can pause, play, fast forward and rewind video on Apple TV from HomePod

18. brofkand macrumors 6502

I wonder if they'd consider licensing macOS if this is a success?

19. cardfan macrumors 68000

I buy for screen. Not audio. And definitely not ui or smart features that I will NEVER use. I’ll keep my tv for as long as it breaks down. In a few years I’d rather just get the latest streamer again and hopefully that’s an Apple TV.

An 85 900f is on my list when it goes on sale soon for super bowl.

20. MVMNT macrumors member

This is simply the easiest way for Apple to start user testing services against TVs, by utilising other vendors hardware.

Not as daft as it might sound. You create a market from limited features they get used to using before bringing your own product to market with all the extra bells and whistles.

It's what they've done with their own device eco system for years.

21. dan110, Jan 8, 2019

dan110 macrumors 6502

dan110

Apple, under Tim, has again ceded an area of the home that Apple had a major lead in. There WAS so much potential for Apple TV as an appliance, services gateway, and ecosystem pillar. Now, it's essentially being deprecated into an app for competitors.

22. iRutherford macrumors member

iRutherford

I guess it's a case of Samsung having the time and cash to fund development of the iTunes app, something LG lacks (assuming the hefty price tag Apple must be asking).

23. RightMACatU macrumors 65816

RightMACatU

Cool! From a guy who will eventually be looking at moving from a 1080p to a cheap 4K tv. -Thumb-up!

24. Skeptical.me macrumors 6502

Skeptical.me

I use Homekit and I think its ok, I don't have too many issues speaking commands to SIRI for most of the Homekit devices I have. But SIRI in general sucks, I think we all know that. Like today I tried to schedule an Appointment in calendar for pay day. I said "Pay All Bills Due", SIRI could not recognize pay, it was hey all bills due, or play all bills due, or "hey or bills". I don't have an unusual accent just "Standard Australian English" (not the broad Australian accent). I tried speaking very clearly but nope, same results over and over and over. I gave up and just typed it in the calendar. Hopeless.

25. neuropsychguy macrumors 65816

neuropsychguy

HomeKit is more reliable and easier to set up than Alexa. I have Google, Amazon, and HomeKit/Siri devices (3 Echo Dots and 1 Google Home Mini) and HomeKit works the best. I like Alexa and Google Assistant and use them more than Siri but for smarthome control, HomeKit is ahead. This doesn't mean Siri is ahead but HomeKit has been much more reliable than Amazon and Google's offerings. Alexa made improvements in ease of setup within the past couple months though.

I'm not saying I have issues setting up devices with Google Home/Assistant or Alexa but if my non-techie wife (but extremely intelligent and well-versed in many things) was setting things up, she'd struggle more with Alexa and Google Assistant than with HomeKit.