CES 2019: Sony's Upcoming 4K and 8K TVs to Support AirPlay 2 and HomeKit

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 7, 2019.

1. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I read a lot about Sony’s botched implementation of Dolby Vision but often it seems to be an issue with the built in Netflix app it’s not a panel / processing issue that I’m aware of as it can be ‘fixed’ by an Apple TV. Dolby Vision is Stunning on my AF9.

I don’t think There’s a technical reason that older TVs with 2019s processors and chipsets can’t be updated to run newer stuff. But all these airplay 2 feature have an asterisk that say they will come to this years TVs at some point with a firmware update so if it’s not ready at launch I hate to think how long any updates (if any) will take.

I have read elsewhere that the A8s Oreo update is any week now and this year they want to move the A8 to running same code / back end as the A9 and newer systems. But that did come from a forum so take it with a grain of salt.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 9, 2019 ---
    It’s worth pointing out that even if there are plans to update older TVs they will be keeping quiet right now to put the focus on the newer models. Sony haven’t said they will do it but haven’t said they won’t either. We’ll just have to wait and see.

2. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

I agree some is the Netflix implementation but some TV's had issues with external sources, oddly the info for YouTube app (which finally does HDR) shows the AF8 as ATV 3 not ATV 2, also the remote is the same as the AF9 not the A1 so there may be some truth in that rumour of updating the kernel. In very black scenes a weird blocky mess can be seen but that could be the source on both AF8 and AF9 but I ddn't see that in altered carbon for instance.

The MT5891 is woefully underpowered compared with your SoC but for my needs it works fine fine and the AF8 has a stunning image. If I was buying this year I may have gone for the AG9 as its upright (I had no room for the easel AF9)
    I'm not buying another TV just for Airplay 2 though and I was lucky in the OLED panel lottery with the non master series TV's so I'm happy. As you say they don't want people to rush on last years TV's when they may get semi decent updates, and Sony takes forever to update anything. Thanks for the heads up on the update. :)

3. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

I would much rather Sony work on fixing the their Youtube App then work on Airplay2.lol. . While it finally supports HDR now it doesn't manually trigger the TV to switch to HDR so everything looks washed on. You can manually force it with the picture mode on the TV but then have to turn back off when you've finished that video. It's annoying. Once they fix that they can implant the Apple stuff :D
    Are you using the inbuilt Netflix app when it gets blocky? I've read that can happen ? But I've only ever used my Apple TV. It's the only device I have hooked up. I haven't even logged into the Netflix app on the TV lol.

4. MVMNT macrumors member

"Think different"

5. fathergll macrumors 65816

Is that the Netflix calibration mode that is botched....the app I kept reading that Sony worked with Netflix on?

If so whats the issue?

6. x-evil-x macrumors 68040

x-evil-x

lg's still get better reviews in test. Ive always been a Sony fan Im still rocking my 52 xbr4 from 2007 I paid almost 4 grand for. Id like a Sony oled but they price them way more than lg's and its just not worth it to me yet to get an oled. Im waiting for a 65" to be under 2k but id prefer a 75"

7. fathergll macrumors 65816

It depends on the category. UK's HDTV test ran their annual test(and it's one of the few ones that include the Panasonic OLED as they are not sold in the U.S.)

While all TVs have strengths in different areas they gave the Panasonic #1 home theater and best overall TV though these are all obviously close. It's not like the plasma days were Pioneer would run away with the title.

HDTVTest 2018 TV Shootout Award winners
    Winner Runner-up
    Best Home Theatre TV: Panasonic FZ802 (14.93 points) Sony AF8 (13.27 points)
    Best Living Room TV: Sony AF8 (15.82 points) Panasonic FZ802 (15.69 points)
    Best Gaming TV: Samsung Q9FN (4.23 points) LG C8 (4.10 points)
    Best HDR TV: LG C8 (4.15 points) Panasonic FZ802 (4.13 points)
    Best TV of 2018: Panasonic FZ802 (32.59 points) LG C8 (31.49 points)

Category parameter scores
    Winner Runner-up
    Contrast performance: Panasonic FZ802 (4.58 points) Sony AF8 (4.45 points)
    Colour accuracy: Panasonic FZ802 (4.36 points) Sony AF8 (4.31 points)
    Motion: Sony AF8 (4.27 points) Panasonic FZ802 (4.18 points)
    Video processing: Sony AF8 (4.27 points) Panasonic FZ802 (3.87 points)
    Uniformity: LG C8 (4.19 points) Panasonic FZ802 (4.05 points)
    Bright room performance: Samsung Q9FN (4.52 points) LG C8 / Panasonic FZ802 (3.43 points)
    Gaming: Samsung Q9FN (4.23 points) LG C8 (4.10 points)
    HDR: LG C8 (4.15 points) Panasonic FZ802 (4.13 points)

8. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Netflix Calibrated mode on the Master series is fine that I know off. But I've read the Netflix app when using Dolby Vision on most Sony TVs is super dark, crushing the Blacks and showing macro blocks. Whereas the same content via an Apple TV is perfect.
    Sony AF9 did win the indepenendant 'King of TV's' 2018 shoot out recently against the best LG and Samsung. :)
    https://www.flatpanelshd.com/news.php?subaction=showfull&id=1537850002

9. fathergll macrumors 65816

Ah got it. Ok I was going to say I couldn't believe they got the Netflix Calibrated mode wrong after the marketing but this is the app so totally different story.

10. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Dolby Vision is nice and bright with perfect blacks on my AF9. :)

[​IMG]

11. killhippie macrumors regular

killhippie

I use the built in app and the app my X700. (looking at the X800M2) which is new as an update. As to youtube if you go to the videos labelled Dolby Vision 5.1 it plays HDR natively now without having to activate HDR yourself. Only recently happened with a YouTube update, YouTube app updates in the background quite regularly. Mines on 2.0.4.05 but the version changes each week sometimes with the numbering after the version. It only plays certain videos in HDR but its noticeable. Try "The world in HDR" video through YT TV app, no HDR indicator on picture menu and it does not max the brightness but its much better and looks good. I wish Sony would sort their software out, even on the ZF9 you are still having this issue, I bet it carries over to the 2019 models too.

12. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

You're right. That does look good. I wish it changed In the picture menu so you could actually tell HDR was working but at least if 'some' content plays correctly it means things are progressing. Looks like I'm on version 2.04.05 as well. Thanks :)

13. CBlakeston macrumors 6502

Playing around a little more and looking at the stats for nerds option it seems the colour space for is stil BT709 and not changed to 2020. Also turning HDR off in the menu gives the exact same image as HDR Auto. Not saying that it doesn’t look good. But wonder if its just really good looking SDR 4K?