Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

AI startup Rabbit today announced the launch of the Rabbit r1, a mobile device that's designed to simplify the experience of using a smartphone. The r1 runs rabbit OS, an operating system powered by a Large Action Model (LAM).

rabbit-r1.jpg

The Large Action Model is able to learn how humans use computers, or more specifically, how r1 users take advantage of apps. Rabbit says that the r1 can understand complex user intentions, operate user interfaces, and perform actions on behalf of the user. The OS was trained on data from people interacting with apps, allowing the r1 to do tasks like ordering pizza, booking ride services, playing music, communicating with people, and more, through voice commands.

The Rabbit r1 can be interacted with using a push-to-talk button on the side, and it understands natural language requests. There are no apps on the r1, and tasks are performed over the internet.

Designed in partnership with Teenage Engineering, the r1 has a 2.88-inch touch screen, a camera that rotates for capturing photos and videos and taking video calls, a scroll wheel for navigation purposes, and a USB-C port for charging. There is a 1,000mAh battery, and battery life depends on usage. While there is no subscription associated with the Rabbit r1, it does need a SIM card for cellular data.

Users can teach the r1 to perform tasks, including multi-step tasks such as researching a location, booking a hotel, securing restaurant recommendations, and finding activities. Once the r1 has learned a task, it can repeat the action independently. It supposedly can even interact with apps like Photoshop, performing multi-step actions within the software.

The Rabbit r1 needs to be provided with a user's logins for various services in order to complete tasks involving those services.

The Rabbit r1 can be pre-ordered from the Rabbit website for $200. It is expected to ship to customers in March or April of 2024

Article Link: CES 2024: Rabbit r1 AI Assistant Wants to Do Tasks for You

Think|Different

macrumors 6502
Apr 2, 2021
I'm 100% the target for this. I want the future, the price is right, and no subscriptions? Hell yeah. But it just didn't do enough that my already-guaranteed to have device, my phone, does via the ChatGPT action button. I don't want push to talk tbh – I want always ready to listen to me and maybe even proactive responses and awareness, not just reactive. Their learning UI and such was the most impressive part and even that may be clunky in practice because your 'action' is borked with any one Discord update, Midjourney command change, etc. Good on them, though! Hardware is hard.

Boeingfan

macrumors 6502
Dec 16, 2019
Australia
Tech for dummies. So instead of teaching people how to do something, now they have to learn how to use this thing, so it can watch them not use their phone properly, and replicate it? If something like an iPhone is that difficult to use, then maybe it needs to have a user manual in each box. Remember user manuals? I wonder if rabbit comes with one.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
Yeah.. Rabbit may want to add a bit of security details concerning this part.
They address this in the keynote, which is well worth watching. I'm a little skeptical of how well it will work in practice, and it doesn't seem sustainable without a subscription, but it demonstrates how far away we are from what could be. I'd already be glad if Siri could operate the iPhone/iPad graphical user interface (including any app) in a halfway competent way, and to teach it task automations that way, but there's no attempt to even start to support that by Apple.

Last edited:

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Why have another device to carry around? Most people are not going to replace their phones with this. Apple and Google could "easily" update their assistants to work across multiple apps to accomplish the same result within existing hardware/ecosystem and be more seamless like not having to use a computer to email, authenticate etc.

sbutler97

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2021
How do you authenticate on the Rabbit hardware itself? Or can others (your kids, strangers, thieves, spouse, etc) just pick up someone else's Rabbit and purchase items for them?

Also, what is unique about the Rabbit hardware? I doubt the hardware is their advancement, as hardware is extremely hard. Why not use the amazing processors and components of the latest Android or iPhone and add a Rabbit app to do the fancy taking action on your behalf part?

Also, how is $200 sustainable for the company? AI is pretty expensive to run, hardware isn't cheap to build... my guess is it will go subscription based within a year or two of coming out.

jz0309

Contributor
Sep 25, 2018
SoCal
While there is no subscription associated with the Rabbit r1, it does need a SIM card for cellular data.

Users can teach the r1 to perform tasks, including multi-step tasks such as researching a location, booking a hotel, securing restaurant recommendations, and finding activities. Once the r1 has learned a task, it can repeat the action independently. It supposedly can even interact with apps like Photoshop, performing multi-step actions within the software.
SIM card - there's your subscription ...

interacting with Photoshop? and the app/photo are where exactly? on my Mac?

Reactions: ikir

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
My newyears resolution was not to buy stupid stuff i dont need... well guess who only lasted 10 days (9 days and 8 minuts)
And now im thinking...

1. I wonder if that thing has all day battery life... should I have checked that before i ordered (not listed on their page)
  2. Hmm can it make phone calls for me and do translation in the phone call or what did he say about that part ?
  3. is Danish even supported?
  4. well perhaps my daughter of 2 just got a new toy i will never tell my wife the price off.

justanthonylee

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2023
Canada
And now im thinking...

1. I wonder if that thing has all day battery life... should I have checked that before i ordered (not listed on their page)
  2. Hmm can it make phone calls for me and do translation in the phone call or what did he say about that part ?
  3. is Danish even supported?
  4. well perhaps my daughter of 2 just got a new toy i will never tell my wife the price off.
I am interested only because it's a different way to design a cellphone tbh. Kinda neat.

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
ProcessorCustom AI chip
Operating SystemRabbit OS
RAM8 GB
Storage128 GB
Display3.5-inch touchscreen
Dimensions45 x 25 x 7 mm
Weight127.5 g
BatteryAll-day battery life (exact duration not specified

Edit : from other source :
  • Display: 2.88-inch touchscreen
  • Buttons: Push-to-talk, scroll wheel
  • Camera: AI-enhanced, motorized rotating camera
  • Processor: MediaTek Helio P35, 2.3 GHz
  • Memory: 4 GB
  • Storage: 128 GB
  • Connectivity: Wi-Fi, cellular (unlocked SIM slot)
  • Ports: USB-C
  • Weight: 115 grams
  • Color: Luminous Orange
  • Battery: All-day usage
  • Operating System: rabbit OS
  • Price: $199 (pre-sale), no monthly subscription
  • Availability: U.S. shipping late March, global shipping later this year

Last edited:

Rygaard

macrumors regular
Jun 24, 2010
Denmark
I'm 100% the target for this. I want the future, the price is right, and no subscriptions? Hell yeah. But it just didn't do enough that my already-guaranteed to have device, my phone, does via the ChatGPT action button. I don't want push to talk tbh – I want always ready to listen to me and maybe even proactive responses and awareness, not just reactive. Their learning UI and such was the most impressive part and even that may be clunky in practice because your 'action' is borked with any one Discord update, Midjourney command change, etc. Good on them, though! Hardware is hard.
just the other day i was thinking that the "computer " of Star Trek" was within 1 or 2 years from beeing here.. this is a huge step in that direction.

Unregistered 4U

macrumors G4
Jul 22, 2002
They address this in the keynote, which is well worth watching. I'm a little skeptical of how well it will work in practice, and it doesn't seem sustainable without a subscription, but it demonstrates how far away we are from what could be. I'd already be glad if Siri could operate the iPhone/iPad graphical user interface (including any app) in a halfway competent way, and to teach it task automations that way, but there's no attempt to even start to support that by Apple.
I like the fact that they’re actually trying something different rather than trying to build their future on an OS and hardware that’s not their own. It’s refreshing in this current climate where so many companies see being a part of iOS or Android as the only option.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.