CES Keynote by Verizon CEO Stokes Speculation Regarding iPhone Announcement

Discussion in 'Mac Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 4, 2010.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Consumer Electronics Association today announced that Verizon CEO Ivan Seidenberg will be making the opening keynote speech at CES 2011, the major consumer electronics expo held each January in Las Vegas. Seidenberg's keynote speech will be held on the morning of January 6th, 2011.

While the topic of Seidenberg's keynote is obviously unknown at this point, news of his speech is already sparking speculation that he could make an announcement regarding the iPhone coming to Verizon, as the conference is frequently a venue for major product announcements from various companies.

It would be surprising, however, for such an introduction to not be made as part of an Apple-controlled event with Steve Jobs running the show, given the company's obsession with secrecy and control. But we are making note of this development on Page 2 as it may be of interest to a number of our readers.

Article Link: CES Keynote by Verizon CEO Stokes Speculation Regarding iPhone Announcement

2. m.a.c.b.o.y macrumors member

Let's keep our hopes up! I am in serious need of an iPhone. And im stuck with verizon for now.

3. Xavier macrumors 68030

This plays along with other Verizon iPhone rumors and a January 2011 introduction.

I will definitely be tuning in to this one, but am still not getting my hopes up.

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

I call ********. Apple isn't going to announce other carriers in the U.S. without it being at their event under their control.

5. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

Likely the case, however, who's to say that Steve won't hold a press conference announcing this right before CES?

6. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Highly unlikely... remember, January is iPad's month. So no Verizon iPhone. Besides, there won't be one until a loooooong time.

7. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

January of 2007 was also iPhone's month.

It might not be that long a time, after all.

8. jkr801 macrumors newbie

Verizon's 4g network is suppose to be sim cards..... correct me if im wrong... this could align perfectly with the rumors, but the phone would have to require hardware changes which points to the next phone.

9. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Yet the iPhone will not support it... 4G networks will run on 700MHz, far off the iPhone's current supported frequencies.

10. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

Makes total sense - a redesign, for the next wave.

11. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I love how confident people like you are in statements like this. It makes me wonder how upset you'll be if this actually happens.

12. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

Oh, I've been right for a looong time on the iPhone. You'd be surprised.

13. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

So have we all. ;)

14. blokey macrumors member

Verizon announces LTE implementation is successful, had a great year, blah-blah-blah - and oh, one more thing - everyone welcome Steve Jobs to the stage!

But realistically, Apple would be the first to announce it on their own watch. The only way I would see Verizon announcing the iPhone instead of Apple is if Verizon is getting a version of the iPhone 4 and there would be no hardware upgrades (other than CDMA equipment) so Jobs wouldn't have new features to talk about.

One theory I have (albeit a stretch) is that AT&T agreed to end their iPhone exclusivity early under two conditions:

1) AT&T gets exclusive carrier rights to the iPad for a specified time.

2) Any new network carrying the iPhone has to wait six months after the initial new iPhone launch on AT&T to offer the iPhone on their network for the duration of the original exclusivity agreement.

15. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

You my friend have a streched imagination. Your hopes will be crushed.

16. iDoctors macrumors newbie

Awesome!!!

I have been waiting a long time for this day!! Maybe at&t will finally be forced to improve on their network!!!

17. blokey macrumors member

Oh they are not even hopes, just me being bored.

18. Aldaris macrumors 68000

Aldaris

Could be a follow-up from an earlier January Apple event though. Where Verizon could highlight itself as opposed to tarnishing AT&T at an Apple event...

We don't need the CEO of Verizon ***** slapping the lower level senior management from AT&T because Randall Stephenson is 'too professional' for a turtle neck affair...

19. hotrock3 macrumors member

I'm pretty sure that is what a lot of people were saying when images of the iP4 leaked. "New design, new carriers, its gonna move to VZW!!!" and yet it didn't happen.

I do agree with the belief that the iPhone won't move to VZW till LTE has been rolled out.

20. llamacide macrumors newbie

well....

another interesting thing to point out....

It was announced recently that Verizon's LTE network testing in 5 cities around the U.S. has been well underway....

http://www.fiercebroadbandwireless.com/story/verizon-moving-friendly-user-trials-lte/2010-06-21

Now they have moved to "user-friendy" trials starting this fall in San Fransico...

http://fonefrenzy.com/2010/08/03/verizon-begins-lte-roll-out-in-san-francisco-q4-2010/

..which happens to be very close to Cupertino and Apple.... could this coincide with final testing of an LTE/ WiMax equipped iPhone?

Maybe, maybe not.... but it sure is interesting....

21. DMann macrumors 601

DMann

While this may be the case, a substantially early announcement would likely precede a proposed roll-out.

The use of a hybrid CDMA/GSM chip, before an LTE roll-out, might also happen, as the 'pent up' demand needs to be addressed, at least as soon as their exclusivity contract with AT&T has expired, or mutually curtailed.

Hopefully, in 5 months time, we'll ll be pleasantly surprised.

22. BlkEagle macrumors newbie

All I can say is "dream on people", "drool on" over the iPhone. Know how many times they have to say CDMA is not compatible with iPhones system and iPhone does not want to pay for the expensive system nor they want to work backwards... "dream on people", "drool on" for life over the iPhone!:p

23. yayitsezekiel macrumors 6502a

yayitsezekiel

well companies like RIM and HTC make phones with both GSM and CDMA chips, so it's not that expensive. I'm not jumping up and down yet, but i'm keeping an open mind about this :)

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

It would be more than "surprising," it would be unprecedented. Even the first iTunes Phone, which was not an Apple product, was announced by Steve Jobs at an Apple event. Also, Apple has never launched or announced a product at CES, even after it left MWSF. I put better odds of the dodo bird repopulating than this having anything to do with the iPhone...or iPad.

25. eastercat macrumors 68040

eastercat

How much more expensive is it to have the hybrid chips? One dollar, two dollars? While $1 may not seem like a lot, you have to multiply it by the number of iphones sold. Even with all of Apple's cash, that's money that could be used to maintain Jobs' private plane. :D

If Verizon really does get the iPhone next year, I can see Verizon prepping the groundwork and showing they're ready to have the iPhone. However, they would have to leave the actual announcement to Apple.
    Personally, I don't think it's going to happen. If Apple wanted to add another company, they can add T-Mobile. They don't need to change hardware. In the future, it'd be easier to get a chipset with T-Mobile's 3G frequency. Of course, I don't know that T-Mobile would be happening either.