CHALLENGE: take it out of the case!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mikey28, Jun 29, 2009.

1. mikey28 macrumors 6502

I just upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS.

The whole time I had the 3G, I never took it out of the case. It is pristine. But for what? because I don't use it anymore. It's almost like I kept it really nice for the next person to use. But never enjoyed it myself.

So today I took my 3GS out of the case (slider). Gosh this thing is really gorgeous. Really amazing to look at.

I am keeping the screen protector on, but for now, I am going case-less.

Anyone care to take up the challenge?

2. Rayfire macrumors 68020

Rayfire

That's why I go use skins ;) and yes its out of the case

3. scootaru macrumors 6502

The iPhone seems so big in a case. I like how it feels without one. It's the way it was meant to be. I would probably recommend keeping the screen protector on. I have a few nicks in the glass because I don't use one.

4. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

No way, I sell mine when I am done.

Love the feel of the iPhone naked, but it's way to slippery it's like one of those waterweiner things.

[​IMG]

Ever see someone break their iPhone? it's not fun.

They charge the full price for it $699 wtf? It should less expensive not more expensive to get it replaced. Why can't the iPhone take a good fall?

All my other cell phones I had no qualms about it hitting the pavement, they were always fine and not even scratched.

5. army91c macrumors 6502a

What challenge? Some of us have had the sack to do that all the way back to 1st gen..... Are YOU ready for the challenge? Body Guardz FTW.

6. iUser4Lyfe macrumors 6502

lolwut? When any phone hits the payment it scratches. The iphone breaks because it has a huge glass screen. Come on man, your better than that.

7. The Californian macrumors 68040

The Californian

I took my 3G out of my Incase Slider a few months ago and decided to get an InvisibleSHEILD because my Slider was actually scratching my Bezel which kinda ... defeats the purpose. And I have been completely satisfied with my InvisibleSHEILD.

If you're gonna get one go to one of the Kiosks outside of the Apple Stores, they install for you and guarantee their work, it's great.

8. jaltamirano macrumors regular

invisishield ftw! ive had it on both of my iphones and its great! looks naked but feels protected :D

9. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I started with an InvisibleShield, but as it was a white iPhone, it was apparent when it turned an ugly off-white color after the first month or so. So I took it off and bought an Incase Slider. I had that for about 2 months, and I just decided to go naked. I have yet to drop it, and I'm quite surprised as I had dropped my 1st gen several times. It's a very beautiful device.

10. mikey28 thread starter macrumors 6502

The phone is gorgeous.

And I am just now noticing that because I kept my other iPhone in a case. So I never got to enjoy it.

For me this is really big, because I have been very OCD about my other iPhones, but I think I am going to try and "live a little" and enjoy this one. Especially if, in fact, there is a new one every year...

11. Ryan1524 macrumors 65816

Ryan1524

That's what I figured with my original iPhone. I was keeping it nice for when somebody else uses it, or when it sits in my drawer to die. So I took it out. But with my new 3Gs, I fell back into the trap of using a case. I'm giving it a month or two before I wanna take it back out.

The case I'm using now preserves the feel and look of the phone, so this might be a win-win. All previous cases I have constantly reminded me that there's a case on it, and it makes it feel bulky or ugly.

12. audx macrumors member

13. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

A nice leather pouch instead of a case can be a good compromise.

14. Chaos123x macrumors 68000

15. TMar macrumors 68000

TMar

I've never had my 3g in a case. It goes in a skin from time to time, but I would say it naked about 95% of the time. No case, no skin, no protector. It's a phone and I bought it to use it, and it's still in almost perfect condition.

16. jaltamirano macrumors regular

that's the only bad part, the film does change its color.. but the place that installed mine offers a lifetime warranty.. so every so often i go and change it :D

17. coolwater macrumors 6502a

coolwater

Awww... I forgot the name of it. What is the name of this↑?

18. iphoneftw macrumors 6502

that looks like a pickle lol even funnier apple should sell rubberbands for 40 dollars so you can go handsfree and it wont slip out of your hands
    [​IMG]

19. i3igsmooth5769 macrumors 6502a

i3igsmooth5769

I don't think I can do it.....I'm not ready to take that next step

20. wr1020 macrumors regular

My 3gs is case less, so many people protect the phone like its there child but it's a phone, it's meant to get used. My cousin has a 3g that he's kept naked over a year and not a single scratch on it. Using a case also completely takes away the look of the phone, and without a case the phone is really slick.

21. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

You have just inspired me to buy a custom skin.

22. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

InvisibleShield from zagg.com and the Ultra Light Feather from Incipio complete me.....:cool::cool::cool:

23. synagence macrumors 6502a

I have always used a pouch case ... so when i am actually using it i get to use it as intended but when not in use its got some basic scratch protection

While it can feel like you're preserving the iphone for the next person (assuming you sell them on) that does have its advantages

Had my iPhone 3G not been pristine, i wouldn't have got the amount i did and had as many offers etc... which enabled me to get 3GS

In 1 year when next iphone comes out i'll be selling the 3GS and hope to get similarly generous amount so i can buy the next iphone

A little care and attention means i can upgrade each year without having to worry too much about the costs.

24. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I am using my old 3G black without a case now. The 3G S, well, it's still to new even though it's been in a case since the second I took it out of the box, the chrome bezel has some scratches. Never owned a case that didn't scratch the bezel.

25. steve-p macrumors 68000

steve-p

Never used a case, previous iPhone was still mint after a year's use and a good clean, so I doubt I will ever bother with a case.