Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcrust

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008
No case for me. It's not made to last forever, and is SO much nicer to use without a case. I'm always a little bit relieved when I get the first bit of damage on a new item like an iPhone because then I can really start to enjoy using it.

mstier09

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2009
The iPhone is beautiful without the case, its hard to argue against that, but I can't bring myself to go out without one. I trust myself not to drop or damage the phone, but often when I take it out and people admire it I enjoy handing it off to them to check it out, and without a case I don't think I could do that confidently.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
The iPhone was meant to be used naked. To cover it up is almost like blasphemy. Plus, why add extra bulk to it?

I use a screen protector and that's about it... I scratched the glass on my iPhone 3G and I don't wanna do that again... the glass is harder to replace than a thin piece of plastic.

DougB541

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2009
I don't own an iPhone but i have NEVER used a case with the 8ish phones I have owned since 2002.

The main reason is why many people don't use it here....it covers up the thing you are trying to protect. Whats the point of that? What I dod use currently is a leather slipcover on my blackberry that I then slip in my pocket. But even then, i cut down on using that.

I want to check out Ghost Armour when I get my Pre.....has anyone tried it out on the iPhone?

chox99

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
IL
I have had invisible shield or one of those ebay thin case with apple logo and everything. I like the look of naked phone. Seriously why put in a bulky case and not get to enjoy it? This doesn't apply to my wife who drops her phone every other week. She needs otter box defender.:D

Romanesq

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2003
Hoboken
nope....

Back to first 2g, had a case. Was the Casemate Signature hard leather. Saved the iPhones about a half dozen times. And both of those were sold in pristine condition.

Switched to a hard case. Using the inexpensive cozip model now. May look around for some other hard cases like on ebay. But it has to be covering the bezel and all four corners. The slim cases where they connect a two part front and back are not a big deal anyway. Not adding much of any bulk and some are very attractive too. Gotta have that protection and I like the polycarbonate matte finish feel over the more slippery iPhone anyway.

Everyone is brave until the thing falls and is dashed to bits.
:cool:

joro

macrumors 68020
Jun 11, 2009
Virginia
No way, I sell mine when I am done.

Love the feel of the iPhone naked, but it's way to slippery it's like one of those waterweiner things.

MagicWater_zm.jpg

Never thought I’d see “water wieners” on this site…:D

kristinaishere

macrumors newbie
Jun 25, 2009
FL
I feel/felt the same way. I had my 3G locked inside of a InCase Slider and when I sold it, the phone was in perfect condition. I too felt a little like I kept it perfect for its next owner, so now my 3GS is naked. However, I'm starting to get really paranoid about dropping it (which I never was before) and have a feeling a case will be on it before long.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I agree that the phone looks much better without a case, but a good, protective case gives me peace of mind.

Think about it this way. I have a RebelSerpent, which was 30 bucks shipped. It protects the iPhone very well.

Let's say I have the iPhone naked, and drop it. And the back cracks or something...it's broken. Gotta spend 199 on a refurb.

If I drop it with the case on...odds are it's not going to break. So each time you drop the phone with a case on, you're potentially saving 160 dollars.

Not to mention the raised lip on my case, if I dropped it flat on the ground the lip protects the glass.

Also, some people have said their reason for not using a case is because "it's a phone and it's meant to be used." what does that mean? am I not using every feature of my phone? Looks are nice but at the end of the day I'd rather have a slightly bulkier, protected phone than a sleek shiny device that is just begging to be broken.

muledogus

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2009
I've never used a case and my 3G is perfect. Mainly because I won't even set it down without a paper underneath it or something. No hard surfaces are to come in contact with my phone. I love the way the phone looks and want to see it, including the glossy glass screen, so no case or film for me, ever.

Bacong

macrumors 68030
Mar 7, 2009
Westland, Michigan
I've never used a case and my 3G is perfect. Mainly because I won't even set it down without a paper underneath it or something. No hard surfaces are to come in contact with my phone. I love the way the phone looks and want to see it, including the glossy glass screen, so no case or film for me, ever.

With the Power Support Crystal Film you can't even tell it's on there.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No thank you, its in a case, to avoid scratches. I like to keep my stuff in pristine shape, it certainly helps when I got to sell it, but also I hate to see scratches on the back.

robvia

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2007
Naked first gen user here, just bought the 3GS. I keep it in my front pocket or on my desk at work. No scratches on the screen, some marks on the back. I heard cases can scratch it up as well. Silcone case may be an answer but then it won't slide into a front pocket easily.

Only mishap was sitting on a bar stool and the phone fell out of my pocket onto a tile floor. Didn't crack the screen but there's a line along the bottom in the display.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
No scratches on the screen, some marks on the back.
The wildcard and question for the 3GS is the coating. Clearly the glass is quite durable and scratch resistant. The coating may (and I assume) isn't as durable. To that end, I'm ordered a case with a flap on it, to protect the front.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
no case here for me. iPhone 3G has been naked (but with screen protector) since removing my invisishield product last fall. That skin was actually annoying and the corners started to peel after about 3 months of use. I now prefer naked iPhond and do not think the phone feels too slippery. I love the look of an iPhone sans case!

daonesteven

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2007
Baltimore, MD
Everyone is brave until the thing falls and is dashed to bits.
:cool:

QFTDT - quoted for the damn truth!

not that i don't understand those who would rather use it naked (cause I sure as hell do), those who leave it naked have either A) realized that they'll accept the risks in accidental drops that may or may not cause serious damage to the iphone or B) are in constant denial/delusion that "catastrophes" can actually happen to others but surely not to them.

hey, if you've never dropped your cellphone for however so long years, then more power to you brotha, but no one here can say with certainty that that can't happen, less predict what will happen to the iphone once it hits the floor.

hence, my argument is to get a case and try to shrug off the feelings of wanting to use the iphone naked.

TSX

macrumors 68030
Oct 1, 2008
Texas
I just upgraded from the 3G to the 3GS.

The whole time I had the 3G, I never took it out of the case. It is pristine. But for what? because I don't use it anymore. It's almost like I kept it really nice for the next person to use. But never enjoyed it myself.

So today I took my 3GS out of the case (slider). Gosh this thing is really gorgeous. Really amazing to look at.

I am keeping the screen protector on, but for now, I am going case-less.

Anyone care to take up the challenge?
Actually you saved your iPhone by taking it out of the incase slider. The incase will scratch your bezel all up and the back of the phone I know from experiance.

chox99

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2008
IL
Actually you saved your iPhone by taking it out of the incase slider. The incase will scratch your bezel all up and the back of the phone I know from experiance.

I second that, my bezel had millions of horizontal scratches w/ incase slider.

iHateMacs

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2008
Coventry, UK
I tried it in the raw, but it was too fiddly to hold. I had to keep resting it on bits of tissue paper when I put it down.

Now I keep it in a nice black Belkin neoprene cover. It doesn't make it much bigger, but it's impossible to slip through my fingers now.

Other benefits are, I can now stand my phone up against something to watch a video. It grips the desk. Also because the case is so soft and easy to put on/remove I can take it off for a quick fondle.

randy98mtu

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2009
I kept my 2G in an iSkin Revo. It was nice because I dropped it a few times and nothing happened to the phone. It's not that I'm trying to keep it in perfect condition, but I want it to be able to survive a fall. I got my 3GS and put one of those clear plastic clamshells and a screen protector on it. Getting out of the car I forgot the phone was in my lap and now it's got some nice scuffs on the bezel. The clear clamshell is all scratched up on the back and it is scratching the bezel itself. I'm thinking of buying another iSkin for the 3GS. I would love to leave it naked, but I'm to afraid of what will happen when I drop it.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I used my 2G for two years with just an invisible shield, and all I have on my 3GS is an IS on the back. Working out great so far!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.