Changed my mind about the iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Gualwer, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Gualwer macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Hey guys

So I'm coming here, not to be judge, not to be called stupid. I'm here because I need to vent! yes I Know its just a phone! I knew the phone wasn't gonna change much, but I'm just feeling very disappointed and I don't really have anybody else to talk about it so I can here to see if there were people who are thinking like me.

I pre-ordered the iPhone 7 Plus 128gb silver. I was very excited about this new devices even though I knew it didnt change much when it came down to design! I was okay with it so thats why I pre-ordered it! I decided to go to the store and check them out today since they had demos of the phone at my local Best Buy store.

The guy at the Best Buy store handed me the Jet Black iPhone 7 and the iPhone 7 Plus Black and as soon as I held it in my hands it just hit me! This is pretty much the same damn phone!. I have never skipped an iPhone release, I always get them every year, but after two years of looking at the same phone! I'd be spending all this money on the same freaking design! I compared the camera and I was honestly not impressed at all, Of course I'm not a professional photographer, but to me, I honestly see no difference in the quality of the pictures. The only feature that I really want from that phone is thats water resistant, that's it! I honestly feel disappointed and this is the first time I've felt this way. My phone is supposed to be delivered on Monday, but I'll be taking it back to the store right away. I realized my phone works just fine and I see no real reason to justify going through the trouble of upgrading. Anybody else feeling this way?

BTW, This is my personal opinion! I'm not judging anybody and if you love the new iPhone it's completely fine! I honestly just wanted to vent!

Thanks for reading!
  2. Freakonomics101 macrumors 65816

Nov 6, 2014
    This is why I'm sticking with my 6s+. I see no reason for me to upgrade because there's no significant difference between the two.
  3. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    At some point there's only so much technology they can add into a product every 365 days. It's a natural progression. The 2nd VCR was WAY cooler than the 1st. But the 10th VCR wasn't that much better than the 9th.
  4. KRG macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2015
    Yeah it's not much different. I want to go back to the smaller phone so I ordered it, but otherwise I don't see a problem sticking with the 6S.
  5. Ronnoco, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2016

Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Oct 16, 2007
    United States of America
    I'd say the A10 Fusion is quite a difference (what Apple engineers are doing in the mobile SoC field is quite astounding really), as is the 3gb of RAM, better GPU, no headphone jack, improved LTE, IP67 water/dust resistance, less visible antenna bands, two new colors, bigger and better battery, improved stereo speakers, improved cameras with OIS on all 7 models and a totally new dual camera setup in the Plus, improved 4 LED flash, new Taptic home button, 25% brighter display with improved wider color gamut...actually the phones are quite different. The iPhone is a classic and beautiful design. I don't get why some people demand an entirely new design every year or two. Personally, I love the look of the iPhone since my 6+. I get some who have a 6S maybe not upgrading to the 7, but from the 6 back, this new 7 is quite a jump in technology on several levels.
  6. Bryan Bowler macrumors 68040

Sep 27, 2008
    That's ok to feel that way OP. No worries at all! The new iPhone is definitely improves on a lot of areas, but if none of those areas (except for the waterproofing) is important to you, then you should absolutely wait it out! Aside from the waterproofing, it sounds like none of the other features will make a difference for you. In your case, I would definitely wait until next year and see if all of the rumors are true about a 10th Anniversary Super Upgrade.
  7. KRG macrumors regular

Sep 12, 2015
    Its not the quality or features that are lacking; it's the design. Apple's industrial design used to decimate the competition, so 3 years of the same (already dated) design is a letdown. I get that it's a holdover till the all-new 2017 phone, but they could've done more to make the 7 feel a bit more new.
  8. sam223 macrumors member

Oct 7, 2008
    I have an iPhone5S using it for a couple of years. Always have a need to unload pics and apps as I have only 16GB. Thinking of getting a 7 but for the same price I can get a 128GB 6S....Hmmm decisions decisions..
  9. DADDYDC650 macrumors 6502

Sep 26, 2015
    All phones that cost around $400 and up are very similar these days. You are paying a premium for marginal improvements.
  10. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2015
    THERE! thats exactly how I feel! I dislike android completely, but samsung definitely stepped up their game with the design on their new phones! Again I'm not saying people are dumb for buying, I was just disappointed and since I like Apple so much, I just needed to vent and I appreciate how y'all taking it and being understanding, and I definitely appreciate your feedback! Thanks guys
  11. NorthSeaBeach macrumors regular

Oct 29, 2014
    The Hague
    Absolutely. I never see the point of upgrading every year. Just a waste of money. The improvements hardly ever justify spending a grand and go through the trouble selling your phone.
  12. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    You already know this but it's all about money. Yes they could have totally changed the form factor. But it would have been just for the sake of change. They didn't have anything special to do with it. And by not changing it this year they have more funding to put into it next year. They could of course increase the price of the phone. And do all sorts of crazy things with it every year. But that isn't how economics work. People aren't going to pay more for change for the sake of change. For this year things didn't change much. But that's something you probably need to get used to. Because 3 years from now when the iPhone 8 and 8S have passed us by, what sort of drastic change do you think they are going to make for the iPhone 9? The rise in a technology's life cycle does not rise at the same rate forever. It flattens out. You just so happened to live through the beginning of the smartphone technology life cycle. Imagine what your kids are going to think when the iPhone 28 comes out. It isn't going to change lives compared to the 27S. :confused:
  13. Taco1933 macrumors 6502

Aug 14, 2014
    Yeah, you probably shouldn't get one every year. Has an S model ever really blown you away after having the prior year model?
  14. penajmz macrumors 68030

Sep 11, 2008
    New York City
    I feel the same design wise. I'm ready for a new looking and feeling iPhone. I got the 7 Plus because I know everything that was changed internally would make the phone feel different and it does. This thing is fast. It's a better experience.
  15. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    A grand?? If you are smart enough you can get a new phone every year for about $200. Yes, you do have to go through the "trouble" of selling your previous phone.
  16. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2015
    I get your point and it makes sense. I really appreciate your feedback! I guess we were all used to the big change they would do on their devices every other year! at least i was.
  17. bufffilm Suspended

May 3, 2011
    If the new phone doesn't excite you that much, it makes no sense to keep it.

Return it and wait till next year.
  18. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2015
    This is what I do every year, but sadly this year it hasn't been the case. The fact that Apple upgraded the iPhone 6s and 6s plus storage to 32gb and 128gb, kinda messed up my plans! I put my phone for sale and its been very hard to find someone willing to pay what I want. Last year I sold my iPhone 6 64gb for $600, this year it will be hard to even get $500 for my plus 64Gb.
  19. EJ8 macrumors 6502a

Oct 13, 2010
    I agree the market is more and more flooded with 1 year old phones. It didn't used to be that way. This year I sold my 6S 64GB for $525. Not even sure what I paid for it. $749 I guess? So yea I paid $225 to use an iPhone 6S for a year and then upgrade to a 7.
  20. kingdf, Sep 16, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  21. Channan macrumors 68030

Mar 7, 2012
    New Orleans
    I don't think it would be much of a deal if the design looked nice. I bought an iPhone SE after owning an iPhone 5s for two and a half years and I still love the design.
  22. Mr. White macrumors newbie

Mr. White

Oct 13, 2015
    New Jersey
    It's funny OP, because I have exactly opposite impressions. I thought this is a useless update, that new phone is identical to the old one and basically that it sucks as an upgrade (especially from 6s plus). Well I spent 30 mins playing with it at my local apple store and changed my mind.

1. It snappier and it's always good, even though I'm not complaining on my current 6s plus in this regard
    2. New colors are sexy. I liked both black versions a lot.
    3. New home button just feels so much better to me.
    4. Camera has a visibly better dynamic range. It's super important and very welcome.
    5. 2 speakers are cool for media, like watching youtube videos etc.
    6. It's water proof, i might not use it super often but it's cool to have it

My thoughts are that this is what iPhone 6 should have been from the start. Well it wasn't but now it's here and I thought I would skip this gen but it looks like I'll be getting one.

23. awhitmer83 macrumors newbie

Jun 22, 2012
    We usually upgrade every other year. I knew there wasn't a ton of difference even from the 6 to the 7, but I prefer to upgrade before the old phone is too outdated to be worth anything. I'm not disappointed with the 7 so far, but not blown away either. It's definitely faster and the battery seems to last longer, so that's good enough. I probably wouldn't feel that way if I had upgraded from the 6S.
  24. Gualwer thread starter macrumors regular

Sep 4, 2015
    Good, I really hope you enjoy it! I'm still debating! We'll see what happens once its here on monday!. :D
  25. Zimmy68 macrumors 68000

Jul 23, 2008
    I agree.

I didn't expect it to hit me until I saw the demo unit at Best Buy.
    It is a mirror image of the iPhone 6 without the audio jack.