Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

cibonak

macrumors 6502
Oct 15, 2014
Montreal
Rumors say they gonna change the design completely next year. As an owner of the 6s+ i skipped mu turn. Will wait for next year (10th anniversary of iphone)

Reactions: alexmarchuk

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have, at times, been on an every-year upgrade cycle and at times an every-two cycle. I've found that the new phone is far more interesting when you skip a year. But ultimately, it's a mature product now. The overall experience probably isn't going to be leaps and bounds different if your current iPhone was anywhere near "modern."

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA
You already know this but it's all about money. Yes they could have totally changed the form factor. But it would have been just for the sake of change. They didn't have anything special to do with it. And by not changing it this year they have more funding to put into it next year. They could of course increase the price of the phone. And do all sorts of crazy things with it every year. But that isn't how economics work. People aren't going to pay more for change for the sake of change. For this year things didn't change much. But that's something you probably need to get used to. Because 3 years from now when the iPhone 8 and 8S have passed us by, what sort of drastic change do you think they are going to make for the iPhone 9? The rise in a technology's life cycle does not rise at the same rate forever. It flattens out. You just so happened to live through the beginning of the smartphone technology life cycle. Imagine what your kids are going to think when the iPhone 28 comes out. It isn't going to change lives compared to the 27S. :confused:

I understand all this, but the fact remains that Apple used to push industrial design standards to the extreme and has been average for a while now. It's not the lack of revolutionary change that's the problem, it's that the iPhone 6 was a bland design from day one we're still stuck with it. I grew up drooling over the beautiful designs of Apple products. I haven't in years. I do have high hopes that the 2017 phone will return some of the magic.

I've said this before...the most beautiful thing Apple has designed in years is the new retail store concept.

Donoban

macrumors 65816
Sep 7, 2013
Agreed, played with the iPhone 7 in store and was hard pressed to see why you'd upgrade from a 6 or 6s.

The case is nice, the camera is great, cool home button, fast, but it's still the same user experience for the most part in the same form factor.

If they went the 7s next year it would be the same form again with some additional features, this seems unlikely so perhaps we will see an epic redesign with the iPhone 8.
[doublepost=1474068161][/doublepost]
I've said this before...the most beautiful thing Apple has designed in years is the new retail store concept.

Nice choice. Now please give us the second most beautiful thing Apple has designed.

I quite like the MacBook retina, but keen to hear what you think.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
What's important this year though is what's inside...the internals are a big step forward especially if you compare it to an iPhone 6 or earlier.

Yea, but my wife has an iPhone 6 plus. I have an iPhone 6S plus. The times I use her phone and vise versa. There is no noticeable real world usage difference.

The same as this computer I'm currently on has a skylake i7 processor with 32 gb of ram. There is no difference posting here on this device vs posting on my 2015 macbook pro retina with 8gb of ram vs posting on my other latest maxed out mac mini. Internals only matter when put to use. By the time something is designed to put the 7 to full use, the 8 will be out. Same as there is nothing now that I've seen which puts the 6S to full use.

Back to the OP. For me, I'm not expecting a night and day difference if I do upgrade. On the flip I'm sort of on the fence about downsizing from a 6S Plus to a 7.

I think the 3GB ram is a moot point for reasons I mentioned above. Dual camera is cool, but a deal breaker by no means.

NorthSeaBeach

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2014
The Hague
A grand?? If you are smart enough you can get a new phone every year for about $200. Yes, you do have to go through the "trouble" of selling your previous phone.

Where I am these things are way more expensive than in the US. And resale value isn't that great. A $200 loss is hard to get. In Europe Android phones are more popular than in the US. The 6s might even be harder to sell for a top price because the differences with the 7 aren't that spectacular. Still the same design, a worse camera bump and no regular headphone jack. No I think a lot of people will hold on to their hard earned cash for the next one.

KRG

macrumors 6502
Sep 12, 2015
San Diego, CA
Agreed, played with the iPhone 7 in store and was hard pressed to see why you'd upgrade from a 6 or 6s.

The case is nice, the camera is great, cool home button, fast, but it's still the same user experience for the most part in the same form factor.

If they went the 7s next year it would be the same form again with some additional features, this seems unlikely so perhaps we will see an epic redesign with the iPhone 8.

Nice choice. Now please give us the second most beautiful thing Apple has designed.

I agree. The Retina Macbook is a pretty stellar design. That's the product most representative of the Apple I love. The watch comes next. The iPhone and iPads are devoid of Apple design.

maxsix

Suspended
Jun 28, 2015
Western Hemisphere
This is why I'm sticking with my 6s+. I see no reason for me to upgrade because there's no significant difference between the two.
I agree 100%

In fact I now appreciate my iPhone 6S Plus even more.

The same exact style as iPhone 7 Plus.
No cheesy buzzing home button.
No cartoonish looking iOS 10.
Scratch free, just like new.
No fake speaker holes.

It's paid for.... :D

Vihzel

macrumors 6502
Jul 9, 2010
I agree 100%

In fact I now appreciate my iPhone 6S Plus even more.

The same exact style as iPhone 7 Plus.
No cheesy buzzing home button.
No cartoonish looking iOS 10.
Scratch free, just like new.
No fake speaker holes.

It's paid for.... :D

So are you never going to update to iOS 10 or later? iOS 10 brings a lot of really great features.

Vegasryn

macrumors 6502
Mar 31, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
Unless the design of the 2017 iPhone changes the shape to the dodechahedron made of ceramic or something, you all are going to be SO disappointed.

My point is, I don't agree with the people that won't get the new phone because it doesn't have a different design. I guess this is true if you're basing it on being a rectangular slab of glass and metal. Truth is it IS a different design. You couldn't fit the guts from the 6/6S inside the 7/7S so to me, thats a different design.

To each their own :)

rainafterthesun

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
I feel like this is more of a 6, but third generation. So like, 6... 6s... 6z?

There's not enough changes to make it feel like a full (e.g. From 5 to 6) cycle.

Reactions: AndersOlson

tatsumi

macrumors member
Nov 12, 2015
Honestly, I think even if I had the iPhone 6 Plus, there is be a high chance I wouldn't upgrade.
Being on iPhone 6 and living in Japan, I got 4 reasons for an upgrade: bigger screen, bigger battery, better camera, FeliCa support for Japan. FeliCa being the major turning point for me of saying "YES I WANT" to the iPhone 7 Plus.
I guess for US-people the upgrade is less important than for Japan (especially Tokyo people).

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Its not the quality or features that are lacking; it's the design. Apple's industrial design used to decimate the competition, so 3 years of the same (already dated) design is a letdown. I get that it's a holdover till the all-new 2017 phone, but they could've done more to make the 7 feel a bit more new.
Well, that's partly what Jet Black is about. I had the silver 6 and rose gold 6s, so for psychological reasons went with the jet black. It looks very different. That said, overall laptop designs haven't changed much in 20 years, except they got thinner. Why mess with success?
[doublepost=1474076065][/doublepost]
I feel like this is more of a 6, but third generation. So like, 6... 6s... 6z?

There's not enough changes to make it feel like a full (e.g. From 5 to 6) cycle.
That was basically the philosophy of car companies in the 50s and 60s. They made lots of cosmetic changes from year to year but did not change the underlying vehicle. These days, they keep the same cosmetic design but make lots of changes to the mechanics and engineering.

pixel_junkie

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2015
With the iPhone 7, I'm convinced that Apple can simply rename the current model for next year and people will still find a reasons to upgrade. There's no rhyme or reason, just blind robbery.

Reactions: maxsix and Geert76

tommysm

macrumors 6502a
Dec 19, 2013
Well, that's partly what Jet Black is about. I had the silver 6 and rose gold 6s, so for psychological reasons went with the jet black. It looks very different. That said, overall laptop designs haven't changed much in 20 years, except they got thinner. Why mess with success?
[doublepost=1474076065][/doublepost]
That was basically the philosophy of car companies in the 50s and 60s. They made lots of cosmetic changes from year to year but did not change the underlying vehicle. These days, they keep the same cosmetic design but make lots of changes to the mechanics and engineering.

Completely agree with that the Bmw m3 didn't change design from 09-13. Little added features here and there. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it?

ZipZap

macrumors 603
Dec 14, 2007
It's funny OP, because I have exactly opposite impressions. I thought this is a useless update, that new phone is identical to the old one and basically that it sucks as an upgrade (especially from 6s plus). Well I spent 30 mins playing with it at my local apple store and changed my mind.

1. It snappier and it's always good, even though I'm not complaining on my current 6s plus in this regard
2. New colors are sexy. I liked both black versions a lot.
3. New home button just feels so much better to me.
4. Camera has a visibly better dynamic range. It's super important and very welcome.
5. 2 speakers are cool for media, like watching youtube videos etc.
6. It's water proof, i might not use it super often but it's cool to have it

My thoughts are that this is what iPhone 6 should have been from the start. Well it wasn't but now it's here and I thought I would skip this gen but it looks like I'll be getting one.

Cheers!

It's not waterproof.

Reactions: Gmcube

raqball

macrumors 68020
Sep 11, 2016
I got mine today... A black 7, 128 that I paid full price for and I am not all that impressed to be honest... It's probably going to be returned but I'll give it a few more days before deciding.

The new home button = Meh! Not diggin it at all..

Anyways, I am also anxiously awaiting the new Google Pixel phones so hopefully it will be better than this...

Reactions: johnothy

tx2005

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2013
We are hitting the point where smartphone design isn't going to jump drastically year over year like it did at first. In the course of 20 years we've gone from devices that only sent/recieved calls to full functioning computers in our pockets. It's a sign of a maturing market, and the emphasis will be on under the hood changes and software improvements.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
The new home button = Meh! Not diggin it at all..

It seems fine to me. No, it's not as imperceptible as the MacBook's trackpad, but if this is the transitional step to a phone with much smaller bezels next year, it's worth the price of admission to me.

alexmarchuk

macrumors 6502a
Jun 28, 2007
New Jersey

I've had the retina MacBook Pro since 2012 and recently the mid 2015. Yeah I got the 2GB VRAM added but overall, it's honestly to a point where the internals of ALL laptops need a new revolution (it's basically stagnated to a point). However the 2012 model and the 2015 retina MBP have no difference in display quality for instance.

Completely agree with that the Bmw m3 didn't change design from 09-13. Little added features here and there. I guess if it's not broke don't fix it?

07-13. I know this, see my signature :p But they did introduce the ZCP package. You are correct though.

Attachments

• IMG_0074-3.JPG
    IMG_0074-3.JPG
    947.8 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_0082-3.JPG
    IMG_0082-3.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 61
  • IMG_0238-2.JPG
    IMG_0238-2.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 66

Clix Pix

macrumors Core
I was at the Apple store today and played with both the iPhone 7 in Jet Black -- gorgeous! -- and the iPhone 7 Plus in Matte Black -- almost as gorgeous! I have the iPhone 6s Plus now. What interested me most was seeing how much faster the new iPhones were and also I focused on the camera features in the iPhone 7 Pus -- that dual camera setup is pretty darned cool. I had the best time shooting images with the iPhone 7 Plus and checking things out to see how responsive the camera lenses were under fluorescent store lighting, how image resolution looked when shooting wide-angle as opposed to 2x optical zoom, wide-angle as opposed to maxing out to 10x digital zoom. I was pretty darned impressed. My iPhone 6s Plus's days are numbered..... :)

Reactions: Ronnoco

AndersOlson

macrumors member
Jul 10, 2008

I would agree with it being the MBr. I have had one since it's release and every time I see it I just marvel at what a design masterpiece it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.