Charging my new Anker power bank on latest Macs good idea???

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Crunch, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Crunch macrumors 6502

Crunch

Hello everyone!

I got a quick question regarding charging power banks on my Mac.

I bought a new Anker PowerCore 20100 and it didn't come with an AC adapter, and then they try to up-sell you: "Best charged with an Anker USB charger". That's not happening, although I like Anker, the company.

Anyway, so I have the latest-generation Mac Mini w/ USB 3, etc. The "manual" of the Anker PowerCore has an image of a laptop for the purpose of charging the power bank, but I still want to make sure that's a good idea, since it's brand new and everything. The input on the Anker is 5V/2A, by the way.

I run one USB 3 hard drive, and one USB 3 hub which is part of my monitor, even though I don't use it, ever.

Does that leave enough power for the Anker power bank to be optimally charged??? Or should I use a regular AC adapter? Would one of the 12W iPad chargers be a good/better idea, or does it truly not matter?

Thanks a bunch!

2. mfram macrumors 65816

You can charge the power bank with your laptop. It's just going to take longer than if you had a dedicated charger because the computer isn't going to provide as much power as the dedicated charger.

3. Richdmoore macrumors 65816

Richdmoore

I have a 16000mAh Anker battery and it can take hours and hours for a full charge, even from a higher amp charger. If the battery pack is fully dead it will take over 8 hours to charge from an iPad charger, I don't have exact numbers however.

I would only charge it from a laptop in an emergency (like if you forgot the charger at home) and get a dedicated charger for normal use.

4. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

Just confirming what the previous poster said. I have an Anker too. Whether I use a powered USB hub, direct USB connection to iMac or MacBook or even a high capacity iPad charger it takes quite some hours for a full charge.

5. Matthew.H macrumors 6502

Matthew.H

Just use a USB wall charger. You don't need Ankers one. The 12V iPad charger will charge it faster but the 5V iPhone chargers will also work fine.

6. waw74 macrumors 68030

Just for clarity sake, and to make sure someone doesn't get a 12V charger on accident.
    they're 12 and 5 Watts.
    Both are 5V.