Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Following this past weekend's promotion that saw Chase customers being offered free early downloads of David Guetta's upcoming album just for adding their cards to Apple Pay, the bank has launched a new national campaign touting Apple Pay. The new campaign begins today with a 30-second ad featuring Fun front man Jack Antonoff's side project Bleachers using Apple Pay at several locations around Los Angeles as they prepare for a rooftop concert.

While Apple has not directly advertised Apple Pay in any television commercials, several Apple Pay partners including MasterCard and now Chase have run significant ad campaigns focused on the service.

Article Link: Chase Launches Apple Pay Ad Campaign Featuring Jack Antonoff's Bleachers and Small Businesses

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Considering that Phil has not been happy with Apple's media campaign in the past, I imagine he is pleased to take things into his own hands.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
This is great. And once Apple gets loyalty/rewards nailed CurrentC will die a slow death.

----------

Considering that Phil has not been happy with Apple's media campaign in the past, I imagine he is pleased to take things into his own hands.

Except allegedly the genius ads were produced by Apple's in house team. I still feel like Chiat was made the scapegoat. According to Ken Segall Steve Jobs was much closer to Apple's ad agency and had much more oversight on Apple's advertising than Phil Schiller did.

http://kensegall.com/2014/04/apples-little-advertising-crisis/

http://kensegall.com/2014/06/apples-marketing-rethink-not-exactly-a-surprise/

iapplelove

Suspended
Nov 22, 2011
East Coast USA
This is great. And once Apple gets loyalty/rewards nailed CurrentC will die a slow death.

I just wouldn't mind retailers excepting both.Let the consumer make the choice. Apple Pay is great but 75% of my favorite places to shop are either MCX clients or do not use NFC.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
Take notes, Google. This is how you promote a key software / hardware feature if you want it to get any traction.

SAdProZ

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2005
I just wouldn't mind retailers excepting both.Let the consumer make the choice. Apple Pay is great but 75% of my favorite places to shop are either MCX clients or do not use NFC.

I think you meant to spell that "accepting", not "excepting." No biggie, but I had to re-read your sentence three times, wondering why it didn't compute.

kemal

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2001
Nebraska
Have to wonder when credit card companies will start to sponsor cell phone purchases ~ provided the phone has AP or equivalent.

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
So far my chase card (mileage plus explorer) is the only card that works with Apple Pay. My work Amex does not and neither does the banana card. My capital one debit card works I think, but I never use that.

I am very happy though, since my primary card is the chase. And I really like the apple pay convenience.

Edit: only liked 1 song from the free album. Still, I appreciate the gesture.

Q-Dog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 9, 2007
I would love to try Apple Pay. Too bad I can only do that by buying a new giant clown phone. Come on Apple. How about a normal sized phone with the same features as the clown phones.

ppdix

macrumors 6502a
Jul 6, 2001
Miami Beach
Chase's own Ink card doesn't work

How stupid that their own business credit card doesn't work with Apple pay...

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
But what if his band went on tour to somewhere not in the US? :p

If it's their personal cards it's not an issue so long as there is NFC support. Folks have already confirmed this.

Apple is actively working on getting Apple Pay up in other countries. By the time of this possible tour Apple Pay may be in the countries in question

brianvictor7

macrumors 65816
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Except allegedly the genius ads were produced by Apple's in house team. I still feel like Chiat was made the scapegoat. According to Ken Segall Steve Jobs was much closer to Apple's ad agency and had much more oversight on Apple's advertising than Phil Schiller did.

http://kensegall.com/2014/04/apples-little-advertising-crisis/

http://kensegall.com/2014/06/apples-marketing-rethink-not-exactly-a-surprise/

That could very well be the case. I personally have liked most of the adverts that have come out for Apple (though not those Genius ads) and get the impression that Phil misses the Mac vs PC era. At the end of the day, however, the work must speak for itself. If the features being touted by the other guy aren't important to Apples target customer base, then Apple is right to ignore them (or should feel free to make light of said features). If they are important, however, then a change of advertising strategy isn't going to fix what Apple is dropping the ball on. Perform or die of irrelevance: that is the law of business.

Those articles were very interesting reads. Thanks. For some reason I never noticed that Phil was the actual VP of marketing at Apple. I thought he had a technical realm that he headed up. Strange how that slipped by me.

On a mostly unrelated note, I noticed in the 2nd article this statement, "But anyone who speaks in absolutes can’t be taken seriously." Is that an absolute statement that I should take seriously? :D I get what the guy was trying to say, but we humans do have a disturbing tendency to write logically nonsensenical things (myself included).

Last edited:

xtwentyseven

macrumors member
Apr 26, 2008
Dallas, TX
I would love to try Apple Pay. Too bad I can only do that by buying a new giant clown phone. Come on Apple. How about a normal sized phone with the same features as the clown phones.

I shared your frustration at first, but it didn't take long to get used to the 4.7 screen and now my wife's 5S feels too small. I still wouldn't want the gigantic 6 Plus though.

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
ApplePay is Apple at its finest. Love it, and can't wait to see it expanded and what else they add to it.

vpndev

macrumors 6502
May 11, 2009
And Chase MasterCards still don't work. :(

I see more of a mish-mash.

My Citi Mastercard works OK at Fresh Market. But that succeeds and then is declined at Home Depot. But Chase Visa worked OK there.

I don't see a pattern yet.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Do Bleachers accept Apple Pay for their rooftop concert cover charges?

----------

I see more of a mish-mash.

My Citi Mastercard works OK at Fresh Market. But that succeeds and then is declined at Home Depot. But Chase Visa worked OK there.

I don't see a pattern yet.

Home Depot doesn't count because it's not an official Apple Pay retailer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.