Cheap Ink Cartridges?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by h1r0ll3r, Aug 17, 2012.

1. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

I just bought a new printer (Epson Workforce 845 AIO) and was wondering where you guys buy your ink cartridges from? The OEM ones for this printer run about $18-$20 a piece. I was looking for some aftermarket/third party ones that were cheaper but don't know where to look. There are so many online retailers that sell cartridges, I'm a little worried about quality with some of those places. I could also get them off fleabay but, again, not sure about quality from reputable dealers.

So, are there any specific places you go to get your cartridges? Looking for some good recommendations. Thanks.

2. Gregg2 macrumors 603

3. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

4. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I can't bring myself to do the ink thing anymore. I'm a laser fan now.

5. TsunamiTheClown macrumors 6502a

TsunamiTheClown

Yeah i am afraid that ink price is a huge thing that i look at when considering a printer these days. Most of the free printer deals are scams.

Is the printer you just bought a color one? If so how many total cartridges does it take?

6. adk, Sep 10, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2012

adk macrumors 68000

adk

I hate to necropost due to the spammer above me, but I recently bought ink on Amazon from a company called Vivamart. I got two full sets of ink (black and color) for a Canon printer for $10. I've been using it for a few weeks with no complaints so far.

EDIT: Spam post deleted ... no disrespect meant to TsunamiTheClown!

7. h1r0ll3r thread starter macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

Well, wound up getting some ink cartridges off eBay. I have three colors and one black cartridge. Buying them individually, OEM brand cartridges would run about ~$80. My printer was only $100 so I ain't going that route. The ones I got off eBay were for 4 blacks and 2 of each color cartridge for the price of one OEM brand cartridge. So far, no issue with the cartridges so happy about that.

8. 184550 Guest

One of my friends in undergrad always bought all his ink on eBay for about 75%- 80% off OEM. Never had any problems; just be smart about where/ who you buy from.

9. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

I have an Epson SX535W...Amazon does it for me...Epson's own prices really do make you wonder if it's cheaper to buy a new printer. This one is the best Inkjet I've ever had, totally wifi, works with ALL my Macs, my iPhone and my ipad, and has the web printing facility too, so I'm keeping it for a while.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

The whole "just buy a new printer" idea is not really a solution as many laser manufacturers are now putting "starter" cartridges in the new printers. So, you don't really get a full size cartridge or toner to begin with at the time of purchase. I tried one after market website for generic ink in my HP Photosmart printer and the printer consistently rejected the color cartridge. They sent me a free replacement, but it didn't work either. Eventually I got a refund.

11. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I use Rapid Refill that sells prefilled cartridges. Bring in your old ones for recycling.