Cheap Sports Car?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by 7254278, May 19, 2007.

1. 7254278 macrumors 68020

Hey guys,
    In no way am I considering to buy a car yet, but since I turned 18 I am eying them. I dont plan to buy for a year or 2 but I was curious what are some decent sports cars from 0-22,000 euros(used is alright). So far I've looked at the Mazda MX-5 and Fiat Barchetta and the Subaru Impreza. I prefer roadsters but a sporty sedan isn't out of the question. Before anyone mentions it I HATE THE BMW 318 AND 316. I am looking at them in europe but I might move to the US so models from there interest me as well. I am just poking around for some opinions.

Things I'm looking for:
    Roadsters
    Sporty Sedans
    Coupe

Fun to drive
    Powerful Engine(to a certain extent)
    Fuel Economy

PS: I am kinda ignorant on the subject

2. DakotaGuy macrumors 68040

DakotaGuy

If you move to the US get a real American sports car, Mustang GT V8

Of course you did state that fuel economy was one thing you wanted so the V8 won't do as well as a 4 cylinder will, but you can expect mid 20's on economy and will have a beautiful sounding engine. The only other downfall is that insurance will be $$$ for any sports car at your age.

3. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

Just gonna say one thing:

You get what you pay for.

4. sycho macrumors 6502a

sycho

5. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Maybe even a MK1? Cheap, and fast!! Even a MK2 would be a fun car, and you could have lots left over for insurance, and doing the car up!

6. SteveG4Cube macrumors 6502

7. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Also, Ford make some nice little hot hatches.
    This is called the Focus RS. Little old now, but looks like fun:
    [​IMG]
    Also, The Fiesta ST:
    [​IMG]

8. epochblue macrumors 68000

epochblue

Little and sporty?

I know very little about these (except the GTI), but I'll list all the ones I can think of off the top of my head....

VW MkV GTI
    Acura RSX (although not the safest option)
    Mitsubishi Eclipse
    Pontiac Solstice
    Saturn Sky
    Mazda MX-5 (used to be the Miata)
    Mazda 3 (the hatch version looks a lot better, IMO)
    Honda S-2000

...most of the those would probably be alright. My choice? The GTI.

9. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

The only hatchback I have ever liked is the Audi A3. . . What you guys think of the fiat barchetta and those little MGs

10. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Audi-Nice, but a SEAT Leon is the same Platform.
    MG? Nice choice. Which one is it? You'd be hard pressed for parts for it though.

11. cube macrumors G4

Hyundai has a cheap coupe starting a 19000 EUR with one year free insurance in Spain.

In silver it looks boring. It's better in the UK pages (black).

12. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

13. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

This discussion isn't fair, if you move to the U.S. you are looking at cheaper gas, cheaper cars and you have the euro conversion factor. I could go on forever, I don't know the european market well...but in the U.S. the pontiac GTO might be the option, as ugly as it is. It will do 0-60mph in under 4 I believe.

14. cube macrumors G4

In Europe it's called Hyundai Coupe, in USA it's called Tiburon.

15. 7254278 thread starter macrumors 68020

So everyone knows I will most likely buy in the UK or Spain. . . .Possibly the US. I know this makes a huge difference, but I really dont know where I'll be in a year or 2.

16. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Ah yes. It's a great cheap car. MX-5 is nice, but a bit too "Hairdressery"

In the UK you have some nice hot hatch choices, but insurance will be massive. Considering you're 18, you wont be getting good insurance rates until you're 25 at least. I say get a small city car (I.e Toyota Aygo(Or it's french cousins) get a few years with no claims, then get something good.

17. ABQ-Y2KSE macrumors newbie

Love my Miata

The Mazda Miata (MX-5 in Europe) is a great reliable car. I get around 31 mpg on the highway and 24 mpg in the city. My car is now over seven years old and still turns heads. I really like the older Miatas better than the current generation. All Miatas have great character and are fun to drive. People on car forums often say that the Miata is a "hairdresser's car" but who really cares. A Miata is really like an old MGB that does not leak oil. They do not produce a great deal of power, but handle great.

Here is mine:
    2000 SE Miata.jpg

18. biturbomunkie macrumors 6502a

19. mgguy macrumors 6502

mgguy

MGA (pre 1962) and MGB (also MGB-GT with hatchback) are great little cars. Old technology but a blast to drive and fun (and easy) to maintain. I used to have a '68 MGB-GT and a '69 MGB roadster. I drove them both as my only general-use transportation cars for over 25 years. Unfortunately wrecked (totalled) one on the freeway a couple of years ago and sold the other right after that to clear out space in the garage for my wife's Camry (aarrggh). I now drive an Acura 3.2 TL (great car). Parts are plentiful and relatively inexpensive for MGAs and MGBs (also earlier models) from Moss Motors in Goleta CA (can order anything by mail throught parts catalog). There are also a lot of MG clubs if you are in to that sort of thing. MGs have given me a great deal of pleasure over the years, and I will definitely buy another "vintage" MG someday, almost certainly a '67 MGB roadster. By the way, MG is still being manufactured (in China of all places, after the rights to the car was sold by a British company) and will be sold in the US again starting next year I've heard. Wow, I didn't realize until now that I still have a fetish for MGs. Damn.

20. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Mammoth

Apparently the Toyota MR2 has supercar-like handling and can be cheap too.

21. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Pontiac messed up the front grille badly. I just checked their site.. what a terrible thing to do to such a brilliant car.

If you're looking in Europe, and want some muscle, get the Vauxhall VXR8. Same massive engine as the Pontiac GTO, just a different chassis. 0-100km/h (60mph) in 4.9 seconds, 307kW (412bhp), 550 Nm (405 lb.ft). Its about $66,000 here, so i imagine it'd be something like £25,000 in England.

22. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Yay, someone mentioned the Tiburon.

I have an 04 Tib, and I love it, but I'd hardly call them a sports car. Front wheel drive and the V6 is around 180 horsepower. Although rumor has it that Hyundai's releasing an RWD coupe with a turboed engine. Can't remember if it's a 4 or 6 cyl though

23. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

To back this up my own personal experience with an E reg (1987) Vauxhall Nova 1.2 (with a manual choke) which cost me £450 to buy cost me £1502.52 to insure. The insurance was so much that when it was nicked it just cancelled it and got more money back.

That being said it seems as if you have a reasonable amount of money to spend on a car. It may be worth checking out dealerships for a new car because they often give free insurance for a year with purchases (there are usually age + model exclusions so check with them first that you are eligible)

At your age getting anything remotely sporty will be ridiculously expensive on the insurance. My insurance now with 3 years no claims, being 22 on a 1996 Renualt 5 1.4 is £320. Not bad, I'm not even thinking about getting a faster car, ideally i want a motorbike, until I have finished University and got a well paying job but then, mortgages + weddings + everything else will get in the way.

24. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Get an MX-5 and learn to drive it. It's not the fastest car in a straight line but the sublime handling makes up for it. If you buy something with higher limits you'll never reach them. With an MX-5 you can slide the car at road legal speeds. I often slide mine round roundabouts :D

Then you can take it on track too. It's a great track car, although this is where it's lack of power really starts to tell.

Attached is a picture of me driving mine on track earlier this year.

Attached Files:

25. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

as much as i love the big V8 roaring 4 feet in front of me, i really want to take the MX-5 out for a drive :D