Cheaper watch next year?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Fernandez21, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Fernandez21 macrumors 601

Fernandez21

Do you think Apple will keep the current watch around next year (when version 2 comes out) at a cheaper price? Like they've done with the iphone and ipad?

2. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

You think the iPhone is cheaper? Mine cost over a thousand dollars. The first iPhone was what, $500..... :cool:

3. Che Castro macrumors 603

I think they'll just get rid of it

They look like a pain to manufacture in mass with all the little parts
    Keep it simple out with the old , in with the new

4. Juansito macrumors regular

Juansito

First gen will be cheaper and the new ones will take the price slots of the gen 1 model

5. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

No new watch next year and will not be cheaper.

6. AJsAWiz macrumors 68040

AJsAWiz

I believe that the prices, across the board, will come down on the 2nd generation Apple Watch whenever it arrives. One more reason why I went with the Sport Watch (main one was the lighter case though) model over the others.

7. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Rumors are already out there that Apple has a new standalone watch they will be launching within the next year that does not reply on tethering to the iPhone.

Again, rumors, but I would wholeheartedly expect a new watch next year.

8. TrueBlou macrumors demi-god

TrueBlou

I fully expect Apple to end up on a yearly refresh for the Watch. They will have to simply to keep up with the movement of technology.
    I don't think they will slow down product refreshes to placate customers, no they will play on our desire for the latest and greatest just as always.

It will be down to us to decide if and when we upgrade just as with anything else. It's no different really than spending thousands of pounds on a new *Mac only to discover days/weeks/months later that it has been superseded by a new model.

*insert product of choice here.

9. SHNXX macrumors 68000

The yearly update schedule is kind of incompatible with a $1000+ wearable and I don't think the resale value will be as high as it is for the iPhone.
    I guess we will see.
    (I understand some people can afford it but many who buy the iPhones won't be able to justify an annual $200 for sport to $500 for steel expense on the watch).

10. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

I think it will be 2017 before we see the second gen. This is a new market for them and they will take the lessons learnt over the next 12 months and use that to enhance the design and capability for a second gen a year further down the line.
    I am quite optimistic ago about the first gen. Updates to the OS and better apps will make this gen seem like a different animal by the end of the year

11. dilap macrumors 6502a

Links? Sources?

12. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

13. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

I really don't think the watch will be on a yearly refresh schedule. I'm thinking every 2-3years. They would already have to have gen 2 in the works to launch a year from now. And I don't think they do. Maybe a big software update next year and a new watch the next.

14. DreamPod macrumors 65816

DreamPod

And by "Rumors" you mean "wishful speculation" :) I mean, the same rumor says it'll be coming in 2015, and it'll toast bread as well!

15. Cubeeless macrumors regular

Cubeeless

I think also that Apple will update this watch maybe in 2-3 years or even later. Wearables are different..

16. largefarrva macrumors 6502a

Personally I don't mind at all that the watch isn't a stand alone device. For one, I always have my phone with me anyway so it's not an inconvenience to keep it with me for the sake of the watch needing it.

The battery life of a stand alone device would have to be much better than what they can currently get with the watch right now because it would consume more power than the soon-to-be released model which relies on the phone to do all the work.

And lastly, I really don't feel like having to pay another monthly cell fee for a watch....Verizon already gets enough money from me every month.

17. Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Need battery tech breakthrough or we are talking about 2 hours talk time or even less.

And contact list input and email would make such standalone device a bad user experience.

18. edlex macrumors 68000

edlex

For a watch to be considered a classic it's important to maintain continuity. My selfish wish is that they concentrate on polishing the UI to perfection before they roll out new models. A wider assortment of bands would also be a logical progression.

19. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

Samsung is already doing it with their newest Tigen phones.

I don't know what the battery talk time is, but at this point, everyone is aware that you don't use these watches to carry on hours of conversation. The day is coming when we will have the battery capacity to do it. For now, a untethered watch gives you the freedom of answering calls and keeping it short, while the phone sits somewhere else.

20. dilap macrumors 6502a

21. Poochi, Apr 12, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 12, 2015

Poochi macrumors 6502a

Poochi

Leaving LTE on, in itself, drains the battery... So standby will not be all day anymore.

Also, add GPS to the watch with the same battery, translates to further battery drain. Sure I think a untethered watch could be done but that would imply we will require to take off the watch and charge mid-day, or use battery watch band, or both.

What could be interesting is using iTunes/iPad to install Watch App so people are not forced to have an iPhone to use the watch (with limited functionality of course - like no GPS and no call / message forwarding when outside of the range of computer/iPad)

EDIT: maybe a possibility if "Apple SIM" can be installed on the watch itself and clones your iPhone SIM, but still need to solve for LTE battery drain or settle with 3G or EDGE lol.

22. Primus84 macrumors 6502

23. NJRonbo macrumors 68000

By the way, a correction...

I should have said Samsung TIZEN phones. Not Tigen.

----------

Why would you have factual information that would say otherwise?

Why is it nonsense when nobody has facts at this point. At least I put "rumored" in the information that was posted.

Why wouldn't Apple's next phone have a SIM card in it? That's exactly what Samsung did, and to remain competitive, Apple is going to have to do the same.

In fact, I would make a wager that Apple's second generation watch will have the capability of working without being tethered to a phone.

24. charlituna macrumors G3

charlituna

Perhaps but I wouldn't count on it. It's more likely they won't at this stage. Maybe in a gen or two when the kinks are worked out. Just like how they didn't do it with the early iPhones or iPads.

We'll also have to wait and see if they do watch trade ins and how those work in regards to what you can trade in towards a watch, trade in a watch towards etc

25. Primus84 macrumors 6502

Ok then. :D:D