Check your upgrade status

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rablat, Jun 22, 2008.

1. rablat macrumors 6502a

rablat

Has anyone else been checking their upgrade status?
    I am currently on an iPhone plan. Yesterday it said I was not eligible for an upgrade. As of today my upgrade status changed to eligible for upgrade.

1. Currently on an iPhone plan using an iPhone
    2. Used upgrade in August 07 to upgrade then purchased an iphone
    3. changed in Jan to MOTOV9 changed off iPhone plan, then switched back to iPhone and plan after the release of 16GB hadd no upgrade until avail. until 6/09 until now, says available.

2. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I had the same experience. I bought a refurbed Treo a few months ago & that wiped out my upgrade eligibility. I bought the iPhone a few weeks ago. I've been checking my upgrade status & today (after the AT&T login site was down for many hours), I am eligible for an upgrade. I took a picture of the site & printed it out in case they try to change it back ;-).

Editing to add requested information

I currently have an iPhone & plan. I had previously upgraded to a subsidized phone 3 or 4 months ago & was not supposed to be eligible for an upgrade until November 2009

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

With the iPhone it doesn't matter what your upgrade status is; you pay $199/$299 for a phone, and your existing contract is removed and you are given a new 2 year contract and your number is transferred over. If you have Rollover and any bonus features, all will be transferred over.

4. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

How is it different from upgrading with a regular phone? When I upgraded to the Treo, I had to sign a new 2-year contract. Did this cancel my existing contract & port my number to a new contract? That's confusing to me because I am on a family plan (my husband & myself) & I didn't notice any difference to the account (the account number did not change).

I know it is silly, but because I bought my iPhone after May 27th, I'm afraid they'll tell me I have to turn it in to get a new one. Dumb, I know.

5. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

if you bought it after may 27th you can trade it in for a 3g one at no cost to you.

6. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Same idea; literally, say the iPhone came out tomorrow and you sign a new contract today with a free phone, you can get the iPhone tomorrow and keep your free phone!

7. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I do realize I could get one at no cost, but I promised the old one to my sister. I'm hoping that she'll be able to use the $20 plan.

8. jrbdmb macrumors 6502

jrbdmb

Source please. I didn't know that AT&T was in the business of throwing away millions of dollars in phone subsidies, and as a (small) stockholder I'd like to inform them of this.

9. rablat thread starter macrumors 6502a

rablat

That was the impression I had as well, after WWDC.
    But in any case I think it remains up in the air. But as of today I am upgrade eligible so it's moot to me now.
    Makes me wonder though, why they would make me eligible all of a sudden if it doesn't matter to them.

10. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No source, I've had friends do this and you're welcome to inform AT&T of it; I couldn't care less, since I only buy unlock phones.

11. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

I hope you are right about this, although I have gotten different information from AT&T. We are currently AT&T customers, I don't currently have an iPhone, but I want to buy one for my wife for her birthday in August. AT&T said that if she was not eligible (she won't be until November) there would be an additional fee (likely the $200 subsidy cost). As I said, I hope that you are right rather than the person I heard from.

12. rablat thread starter macrumors 6502a

rablat

That worked for the current iPhone as it was unsubsidized.
    The new one.... Not so sure this will work.

13. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

Have you checked the upgrade status today? Some of us are suddenly eligible for an upgrade after not being a couple of days ago.

14. cryo macrumors member

Are all of you who have suddenly become eligible first gen iPhone owners?

15. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

I've been eligible since last year but my wife's iPhone status was NON ELIGIBLE until 8/2009. Suddenly today, she is now ELIGIBLE.

Strange...

16. cryo macrumors member

I am hoping this recent eligibility means an announcement is coming this week (Monday?) with all the details. I am tired of waiting.

17. Pheelyx macrumors regular

Pheelyx

I just checked and I'm eligible now. I wasn't a few days ago.

18. MBHockey macrumors 68040

MBHockey

Yeah, i think they updated this last night. I couldn't log into my ATT wireless account from about 2 AM to 2 PM today (it said they were doing maintenance). When it came back, it said I was eligible for the upgrade (prior to the down time it said I wasn't eligible until 12/1/2008).

I own a 1st gen iPhone.

19. newyorksole macrumors 68020

Oh snap!! I am upgrade eligible, last time I checked it said like June 2009

Now it says:

This line is eligible for equipment discount pricing when you sign up for a 2-year service agreement. You can also take advantage of our no-commitment pricing option.

20. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I just checked mine and it said the same thing as well :D

21. KDDatabase macrumors member

Same Here! They are probably doing it to stop any issues with the system come launch day.

22. SleepyHead157 macrumors regular

yeah same here, mine wasnt eligible till around jan/feb or something but now all of a sudden I am oh wells better for me. i was planning on getting the iphone 3G anyways and selling my first gen Iphone. im guessing ATT would allow me to get rid of the data and im all set with some extra change in my pocket

23. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

Exactly. This assures that everything should go smoothly.

24. lena macrumors newbie

For you maybe - but what about us poor clods that switched over to AT&T a few months ago in anticipation of the 3G (I got a refurbished Treo)? :)

25. berkleeboy210 macrumors 68000

Up until today I wasn't eligible for an upgrade. Just checked and it says for my line with the iPhone plan that I'm eligible.

yay :)