Chicago skyscraper would be nation's tallest

mactastic

macrumors 68040
Apr 24, 2003
Colly-fornia
I gotta say, I really like Calatrava's work. The combination of architecture and architectural engineering can lead to some beautifully unorthodox structures. I mean, who else incorporates torsional loading into their designs deliberately?

thedude110

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2005
Beautifully impractical.

Beautifully socio-economically irresponsible.

But beautiful.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
As an Engineer, I appreciate it from an architectural point of view, yet the practical side me me cries out, "Why?!?" :confused:

Ah well, let them build it - and then let them have fun leasing it (along with the Freedom Tower) - good luck. :cool:

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
2000 - 1458 = 542.

Hmm, the 542' spire on top is pretty worthless, makes it impressive looking but seems to be a waste. It's a nice looking building though. I am not sure if the article means to say that it is the second highest building in the world, not just the country, as it will beat the Sears Towers.

Cheap shot by Donald Trump though, height alone is not a factor, symbolism was the reason why the World Trade Center was chosen.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wrc fan said:
Yeah, who actually wants to work in a skyscraper anymore? Sure they're fun to go up and look out from the observation decks, but after a while I'm sure the view gets old.
I for one would be first in line to buy a piece of the "sky" if such buildings were made affordable for the working stiff (units selling for under $250K for a one bedroom).

I love the design of this building. Just wish we had more innovative designs in the US, as it seems that Europe does.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Xtremehkr said:
I am not sure if the article means to say that it is the second highest building in the world, not just the country, as it will beat the Sears Towers.
There are two or three buildings in the world taller than the Sears Tower, and another one under construction which will leapfrog all of them.

http://architecture.about.com/library/bltall.htm

That link doesn't show the tower they're building in Dubai which is supposed to be complete in 2007 and have a total height of well over 2,000 feet.

edit: another link, this one with only existing buildings:
http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/wo/

wrc fan

macrumors 65816
Chip NoVaMac said:
I for one would be first in line to buy a piece of the "sky" if such buildings were made affordable for the working stiff (units selling for under $250K for a one bedroom).

I love the design of this building. Just wish we had more innovative designs in the US, as it seems that Europe does.
Well sure, if it were that cheap to live downtown I'd be there. Around here to get a 1 bedroom condo... well you don't want to know! :eek: Unfortunately it'll probably be vastly over priced as it would be the tallest building in the US. An interesting note, when multi-storied buildings were first developed the lower floors were considered prime real estate, with the higher up floors the less desirable. Now it's the other way around. Interesting that one invention (the elevator) changed all that.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Xtremehkr said:
Cheap shot by Donald Trump though
The background on this is that before September 11, 2001, Trump had been planning to make his development here taller than the Sears Tower. Trump's comment is more about sour grapes - maybe his investors were the deciding factor in shortening his building. Besides, of course, such a building would be tough competition for his, as the proposed building is in a much better location.

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
The 2000 foot proposed tower for Chicago is very impressive looking. The artist rendering has a very unique look, gives an upward mobile appearance. :cool:

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Rod Rod said:
There are two or three buildings in the world taller than the Sears Tower, and another one under construction which will leapfrog all of them.

http://architecture.about.com/library/bltall.htm

That link doesn't show the tower they're building in Dubai which is supposed to be complete in 2007 and have a total height of well over 2,000 feet.

edit: another link, this one with only existing buildings:
http://www.emporis.com/en/bu/sk/st/tp/wo/

I wish the design included the spire though, it's a nice looking building until you get to the spire. Bauhaus, at one point, moved to Chicago to avoid the Nazis in Germany and ended up influencing a lot of architectural design there. If they still have a presence, I hope that they are considered. I am not sure if they are still around or not though. Their innovations in design when it came to form and function were well ahead of their time.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
would be interesting to see this go up, there have been a lot of condos put up around Navy Pier as it is, and this would only add to it, would be nice to be able to afford a unit though.... its nice to have the Sears Tower in view as you drive toward downtown, but some more innovative and fresh scrapers wouldnt be bad either in my opinion

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Xtremehkr said:
I don't know what CNN is talking about then. This would become the tallest building in the US and the 4th tallest in the world. Man, how hard is it to get a job at CNN? you can just make stuff up.

I wish the design included the spire though, it's a nice looking building until you get to the spire. As far as I know, Bauhaus is still HQ'd in Chicago, hopefully they have some influence on the design.
CNN got it correct; it says "nation's tallest," and then mentions the world's tallest skyscraper in the 6th paragraph.

There's way too much Bauhaus here (my opinion). It's great to see other styles go up.
PlaceofDis said:
would be interesting to see this go up, there have been a lot of condos put up around Navy Pier as it is, and this would only add to it, would be nice to be able to afford a unit though.... its nice to have the Sears Tower in view as you drive toward downtown, but some more innovative and fresh scrapers wouldnt be bad either in my opinion
I agree. I have a view of the Sears Tower and the end of Navy Pier, plus Lake Michigan, out my window. It's nice.

Something about a lot of these luxury condo buildings downtown though, is that the association dues that owners have to pay is almost as much as what "regular people" pay as rent each month, and on top of that they have to pay property taxes each year. High-rise city living is costly, even if the price of entry is relatively low.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Rod Rod said:
CNN got it correct; it says "nation's tallest," and then mentions the world's tallest skyscraper in the 6th paragraph.
Yeah, I misread. I like Bauhaus though, and the twisty shape of the building seems to fit the windy city well.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Chip NoVaMac said:
:) i am afraid you're out of luck.
it's a super-luxury building with relatively few apartments, designed by one of the world leading architects.
if they do build it they will go for a cool $5-7.5 M per apartment

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wrc fan said:
Well sure, if it were that cheap to live downtown I'd be there. Around here to get a 1 bedroom condo... well you don't want to know! :eek: Unfortunately it'll probably be vastly over priced as it would be the tallest building in the US. An interesting note, when multi-storied buildings were first developed the lower floors were considered prime real estate, with the higher up floors the less desirable. Now it's the other way around. Interesting that one invention (the elevator) changed all that.
I should add that IF I won the big Power Ball lottery, I would have no hesitation in going in to any of these new skyscrapers either. Life is too short not to enjoy it to the fullest!

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Don't panic said:
:) i am afraid you're out of luck.
it's a super-luxury building with relatively few apartments, designed by one of the world leading architects.
if they do build it they will go for a cool $5-7.5 M per apartment
I know. :(

It is that we as a nation are getting close to a disparity in major cities of those that can own and those that can't.

I assume that for $5 million or so that will get you maybe 5,000 sq. ft. of living space. All I want is a mere 800 sq. ft.

Mr. Anderson

Moderator emeritus
Nov 1, 2001
VA
I don't like it. I was just in Chicago driving down Lake Shore Drive on Sunday and it just seems as though it would be out of place. Especially being tall, twisted and skinny. Doesn't seem to fit the city of big shoulders....

D

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
Chip NoVaMac said:
I know. :(

It is that we as a nation are getting close to a disparity in major cities of those that can own and those that can't.

I assume that for $5 million or so that will get you maybe 5,000 sq. ft. of living space. All I want is a mere 800 sq. ft.
I hear you. even if it was given to me for FREE, I still couldn't afford it.
(maintenance fees, taxes, staff christmas bonus :eek: )

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Mr. Anderson said:
I don't like it. I was just in Chicago driving down Lake Shore Drive on Sunday and it just seems as though it would be out of place. Especially being tall, twisted and skinny. Doesn't seem to fit the city of big shoulders....

D
Have not yet been in the city itself yet. But my flight yesterday morning too me over the city proper. I can see this as a positive. I was on the right side of the plane, and had clear view of the Hancock and what is left of Meigs Field.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Don't panic said:
I hear you. even if it was given to me for FREE, I still couldn't afford it.
(maintenance fees, taxes, staff christmas bonus :eek: )
LOL!

I was hoping for no more that $120 in condo fees. As to the Xmas "staff bonus", they better well earn by doing more than their job. When is the last time you tipped your "retail" worker?