Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Xtremehkr

macrumors 68000
Jul 4, 2004
Rod Rod said:
The background on this is that before September 11, 2001, Trump had been planning to make his development here taller than the Sears Tower. Trump's comment is more about sour grapes - maybe his investors were the deciding factor in shortening his building. Besides, of course, such a building would be tough competition for his, as the proposed building is in a much better location.

Sour grapes that lead to him making a cheap shot. I don't see any difference. Either way, the premise of his statement strikes me as being disingenuous and petulant.

Just sayin', either way, it seems like a silly statement for Trump to have made.

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
wrc fan said:
you're joking, right? that is crazy!
It's something like $0.50/sq.ft. to $0.70/sq.ft. in some buildings.. I'll get the exact figure from my friend who follows these things closely.
Xtremehkr said:
Sour grapes that lead to him making a cheap shot. I don't see any difference. Either way, the premise of his statement strikes me as being disingenuous and petulant.

Just sayin', either way, it seems like a silly statement for Trump to have made.
I agree. He's a good person to get a quote from for the purpose of that story, for all those reasons.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
wrc fan said:
you're joking, right? that is crazy!

You are right on that! They better take and provide twice weekly maid service and do my laundry for that kind of money. And if they want an Xmas "bonus", they better be prepared to wipe my you know what!
:eek:

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Rod Rod said:
It's something like $0.50/sq.ft. to $0.70/sq.ft. in some buildings.. I'll get the exact figure from my friend who follows these things closely.I agree. He's a good person to get a quote from for the purpose of that story, for all those reasons.

You are right. They are all wanting that big $ in the end. What ever doubt that Trump can cast on this new project can only help him. Never mind whether we are talking of 1000 foot tower or a 2000 foot tower - terrorists doing a 9-11 style attack can do as much "damage" regardless of 1000 foot or 2000 foot elevation.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Rod Rod said:
It's something like $0.50/sq.ft. to $0.70/sq.ft. in some buildings.. I'll get the exact figure from my friend who follows these things closely.

Sounds about right - certain places in New York go for over $1/sq. ft. :eek:

mpw

Jun 18, 2004
Rod Rod said:
...That link doesn't show the tower they're building in Dubai which is supposed to be complete in 2007 and have a total height of well over 2,000 feet....
I was speaking with the engineer signing off this Dubai project for the insurers and he had some pretty amazing facts and figures to do with its construction.
  • The piles that make the foundation aren't that deep considering the height, about 30m IIRC
  • The sructure is so strong laterally, having been design for high wind loading and having been designed to take two hits from the new Airbus A380, that it could hold its self horizontally if attached to a wall by the foundations.
  • Just in case someone comes along and annouces their building a taller tower before it's finished the design allows for another 25% to be added to the top to trump them.
  • Count out 15secs to yourself and try to recall as much about your life in that time. Seems like quite a long time doesn't it? I bet you had plenty of happy memories to take in. That's how much time you'd have before hitting th ground if you decided to take a dive from the top!

Someone asked who would've thought to included torsional stiffness in the design? Norman Foster did in his 'Erotic Gherkin' in London, although a much shorter building which leaks like a sieve because of the twisted windows I hear and no one to rent it cause of the round floors.

Don't panic

macrumors 603
Jan 30, 2004
having a drink at Milliways
mpw said:
I was speaking with the engineer signing off this Dubai project for the insurers and he had some pretty amazing facts and figures to do with its construction.
  • The piles that make the foundation aren't that deep considering the height, about 30m IIRC
  • The sructure is so strong laterally, having been design for high wind loading and having been designed to take two hits from the new Airbus A380, that it could hold its self horizontally if attached to a wall by the foundations.
  • Just in case someone comes along and annouces their building a taller tower before it's finished the design allows for another 25% to be added to the top to trump them.
  • Count out 15secs to yourself and try to recall as much about your life in that time. Seems like quite a long time doesn't it? I bet you had plenty of happy memories to take in. That's how much time you'd have before hitting th ground if you decided to take a dive from the top!
interesting stuff. i've seen the renditions and its pretty amazing.

mpw said:
Someone asked who would've thought to included torsional stiffness in the design? Norman Foster did in his 'Erotic Gherkin' in London, although a much shorter building which leaks like a sieve because of the twisted windows I hear and no one to rent it cause of the round floors.
also another project by calatrava in malmoe, the "turning torso" already tested the concept. it's not finished yet, though

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Don't panic said:
interesting stuff. i've seen the renditions and its pretty amazing.

also another project by calatrava in malmoe, the "turning torso" already tested the concept. it's not finished yet, though

Truly amazing stuff.

The only thing I add is that the WTC was designed to take the hit of a 747 IIRC. Though their assumption was that it would be a 747 on the end of its journey, rather than a "jumbo jet" nearly full with jet fuel. (The Bin Laden tapes soon after 9-11 expressed surprise, but pleasure, that the WTC collapsed).

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
It was a 707, and as you say, they considered its impact but not its fuel. Had the fuel been taken into consideration, perhaps the fireproofing could have been applied in a way that it would adhere to the metal supports better, and of course the walls around the stairwells could have been thicker than drywall.

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Rod Rod said:
It was a 707, and as you say, they considered its impact but not its fuel. Had the fuel been taken into consideration, perhaps the fireproofing could have been applied in a way that it would adhere to the metal supports better, and of course the walls around the stairwells could have been thicker than drywall.

Sorry, I thought that the 747 was already envisioned at that point. Regardless, it shows that planners never thought that a jet taking off from Newark, JFK, or LaGuadia could pose harm to the WTC. And in some small way show us that we can never anticipate the the severity of the next "attack".

MacFan782040

macrumors 65816
Dec 1, 2003
Chip NoVaMac said:
LOL!

I was hoping for no more that $120 in condo fees. As to the Xmas "staff bonus", they better well earn by doing more than their job. When is the last time you tipped your "retail" worker?

i work in retail and i got an xmas bonus haha

Rod Rod

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2003
Las Vegas, NV
Chip NoVaMac said:
it shows that planners never thought that a jet taking off from Newark, JFK, or LaGuadia could pose harm to the WTC.
Yup, and another issue is that in the late 60s / early 70s they didn't have the computer modeling to simulate what all the fuel and fire could do to the building's structure.

aricher

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2004
Chi-il
Here's another high-rise going up right now on the lakefront.

One Museum Park

This one is at Roosevelt Road and Lake Shore Drive - right by the museums and Soldier Field. 2 bedrooms/2.5 baths start at $660,000 :eek: and penthouses start at $2.5 Million :eek: :eek: :eek: That said, I feel like my wife and I got a complete steal on the loft-style place (converted 1907 hospital) we got a few blocks away from this new building.

Downtown Chicago is getting pretty pricey to live in. My wife and I bought our condo in the South Loop last August and have seen our property value go up 25% since then - great for us - bad for people who want to live downtown cheaply. Our monthly assessments ($325) are cheap compared to most other buildings. I know people who are spending $600-750/month for their assessments alone - that doesn't even include their mortgage or county taxes.

When we were getting ready to buy we had to take a good hard look at the financial breakdown of renting vs. owning over 10-15 years. When renting we were paying less than 1/2 of what we're paying now but renting is like throwing your money away. You have to look at a condo/house as a big savings account cash you put in the lower your payment gets in time and the more cash you have in equity. You also get to write off all the mortgage interest on your federal taxes - which helps.

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
looks gorgeous to me. i wish they put a smaller version of that in astor place where gwathmey-siegel's "sculpture for living" is being put up. that building, sculpture for living, is the ugliest piece of **** building i have ever seen people wanting to live in.

you have to see it in real life to believe it, it doesn't look too bad on the website:

http://astorplacenyc.com/index_flash.html

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
The design is nice, but why does it have to be so big? Why not just make it 900 ft? That would still make it a tall, beautiful building, and be more feasable.

It doesn't always need to be a d**k waving contest.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Abstract said:
The design is nice, but why does it have to be so big? Why not just make it 900 ft? That would still make it a tall, beautiful building, and be more feasable.

It doesn't always need to be a d**k waving contest.

I completely agree - but as for the "contest" issue, just look at the individuals who we're dealing with here... it should come as no surprise... ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.