Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Yesterday I purchased Chinao's new folio style case. A few weeks ago I received a Vaja Libretto for my ipad and my wife doesn't want to use the Smart Cover on her's anymore. I didn't want to spend the big bucks for another Vaja because my daughter also uses my wife's ipad and it's not treated as carefully as mine. So I was looking for a case that wasn't too pricey but looks pretty good too.

Here are my thoughts on it:

Finish - Available in two colors - dark brown and another brown that's slightly reddish in color. It's simulated leather and has a matte type feel to it when you touch it. I bought Chinao's Vaja clone for the iPad 1 awhile back and the finish on this is exactly the same. Some people like it and some don't. I can't smell anything unless I hold it right up to my nose. The inside is a soft grey microfiber.

Design - The bezel is not covered (cases that cover the bezel are not an option for me!). There are 4 tabs that hold the ipad in place. The tabs are in the same place as the Toblino case but the Chinao tabs are very slight and the iPad can be removed very easily. I shook it while holding it upside down and it didn't fall out. There are 3 horizontal grooves built into the inside flap for horizontal viewing. When the front cover is folded behind the ipad it sits very flat. There are cut-outs for all ports. You can see from the pictures below that the mic cut-out is much bigger than it needs to be.

Auto Sleep/Wake - Works perfectly. I tried moving the front flap back and forth while it was folded over in the back and it didn't shut off the ipad.

Quality - All stitching is perfect and the lines are good. The only negative I can think of is that the rear camera hole is a little off but it doesn't hamper functionality in any way. It's a nice looking case.

I wanted to compare the weight to my Vaja and this case is 7.3oz compared to the Vaja's 10.0oz.

Overall, it's a nice simulated leather case for the price. I paid $40 for it.

Here is a photo of the dark brown version.
dbrown.jpg

Here are photos I took of the one I bought. The description when I purchased was "reddish brown" but it doesn't look anywhere near as red in person as it does in these pictures I took. I think my camnera's flash made it look more red.
IMG_4132.jpg

IMG_4133.jpg

IMG_4135.jpg

IMG_4137.jpg

IMG_4138.jpg

IMG_4139.jpg

IMG_4141.jpg

IMG_4142.jpg

Last edited:

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Not bad, could you please post a link of where you bought it from?

We're not allowed to talk about where I got it from. :eek: It's the guy that starts with a "K" and I contacted him about it through his website. If you've been on this forum a while then you know who he is!

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Do you think the case would still hold the iPad if I had a skin on the back?

Yes, I also tried out my iPad in this case which has a skin from stickerboy installed on it. It fit the same as my wife's without the skin.

mrgossett

macrumors 6502
Mar 18, 2008
2 Questions- Is there a crease or fold in the top cover that might accommodate a typing position? The top photo seems to show that, but your photos of the one you bought don't. Also, is the top cover held closed by magnets, or does it flop open easily? Thanks for any info...

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
2 Questions- Is there a crease or fold in the top cover that might accommodate a typing position? The top photo seems to show that, but your photos of the one you bought don't. Also, is the top cover held closed by magnets, or does it flop open easily? Thanks for any info...

The cover doesn't have any magnets other than the one to auto activate sleep/wake. However, it doesn't flop open easily. In fact, it doesn't open by itself unless you hold it upside down and don't hold the top cover.

The one that I have doesn't have a crease in the cover. If you look more closely at the pictures I posted you'll notice that in the horizontal viewing position the inside of the top cover becomes the base of the stand. They should have included one additional horizontal groove closer to the edge of the top cover to accomodate a proper typing angle. As it is the ipad is in a lower typing position then on most cases but I tried it and was able to type okay with it.

Here's a picture of the typing position I'm referring to. If you want a higher typing position you can wedge something in between the folded areas to accomodate. I just tried it with a piece of plastic I have sitting here. You'll see the plastic in the first picture.

Also, I didn't use the camera's flash in these pictures and the color looks totally different.

IMG_4149.jpg

IMG_4148.jpg

dukedvl

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008

Just guessing but I think the top photo has the crease on the top cover because it is a picture of the iPad 1 case. The vendor's web site has the same picture listed under the ipad 1 and ipad 2 case.

dukedvl

macrumors member
Aug 5, 2008
Found this on Ebay . . . looks like the dark brown case is just like the reddish brown and does not have the crease in the top cover either. I am trying to decide between this and the Maroo Moko II case. I am afraid the Maroo is going to add too much bulk.

Attachments

• ipad case.jpg
    ipad case.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 135

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
Just guessing but I think the top photo has the crease on the top cover because it is a picture of the iPad 1 case. The vendor's web site has the same picture listed under the ipad 1 and ipad 2 case.

You are probably right. I also have the iPad 1 case and it does have that crease in the top cover.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
It turns out that the first photo I posted of the Dark Brown case was actually the iPad 1 case, not the iPad 2 case. I have replaced the previous photo with the correct one without the crease in the top cover. Sorry for any confusion this caused! I got the picture from the vendor's website but it's now been corrected.

yOyOYoo

macrumors 6502a
Feb 13, 2005
CA
We're not allowed to talk about where I got it from. :eek: It's the guy that starts with a "K" and I contacted him about it through his website. If you've been on this forum a while then you know who he is!

WHy are we "not allowed" to talk to this seller?!?:eek::confused:

someone please explain...got some nice cases on ebay

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007
You can talk to him but you can't mention him on this forum or the admins will either delete your post or ban you.

3goldens

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2008
Born NYC Living in CT

Looks nice, not sure I like the logo in the middle of the front cover but
does the cover stay closed when folded against the screen carrying it around?

Also since when can't you say where you got it, unless your the manufacturer promoting it, everyone always has said where they get their accessories.

If its a new rule, maybe its a good one.

BlindMellon

macrumors 65816
Apr 4, 2011

Also since when can't you say where you got it, unless your the manufacturer promoting it, everyone always has said where they get their accessories.

I tried to place the link here but macrumors blocks the site link!

Strange.

sotie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 21, 2007

I'm not the seller! If you mention his name or website this forum will automatically replace them with "*****" if you try to say it another way the moderators will delete your post. There were accusations made last year in the iPad 1 Yoobao thread.

However, I've been following along in the history for this for quite a while and no one has ever complained about his customer service or shipping speed.

Regarding your question about the cover staying closed while carrying. If you hold it from the right edge with the left side facing up occassionally (rarely actually) the cover will open a very small amount... just enough to activate the sleep/wake. However, if you carry it the opposite way... hold the left edge with the back facing outwards it stays closed just fine.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.