Chinese Company Hyperdon Sold Fake Apple Watches at CES

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 8, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

While Apple is rumored to be aiming for March as the launch month for the Apple Watch, Chinese company Hyperdon was at CES selling fake versions of the new Apple product called Smart Watch, according to Mashable.

[​IMG]
    Fake Apple Watch known as the Hyperdon Smart Watch. Image via Mashable​
    Mashable was able to purchase the watch for $27. It comes with a pedometer, stopwatch, alarm and a feature referred to as "Anti lost", which Mashable estimated could be used to alert a user to when the watch is out of Bluetooth range.

The Smart Watch also has notifications from WeChat and other apps, but it requires downloading a "sketchy-looking APK" that appears to only work with jailbroken iPhones. It charges via USB cable and Hyperdon claims it can last for "up to 180 hours". Mashable was not able to test this claim. Hyperdon says it sells its products in retail stores in the U.S. and China, but did not detail where its locations are.

Apple has continually suffered from counterfeit Apple products in China, with authorities breaking up counterfeit iPhone rings and shutting down fake Apple Stores.

Article Link: Chinese Company Hyperdon Sold Fake Apple Watches at CES

2. brsboarder macrumors 6502a

for $25 and 180 hours of battery, probably worth the 1/15th it costs compared to the cheapest iwatch.

3. fjfjfjfj macrumors 6502

I don't know why but the picture made me sick.

4. spillproof macrumors 68020

spillproof

If the caption would not have told me that it was the fake watch, I would have believed it was the real thing.

5. Chatter macrumors 6502a

So these guys actually came to CES to sell fake carp. Ballsy? Dumb?
    :eek:

6. PowerBook-G5, Jan 8, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2015

PowerBook-G5 macrumors 65816

PowerBook-G5

I'm surprised that the thing can actually make calls and play music, seeing as it's a cheap POS. Wonder what it's made of? Cheap plastics?

Also, the Digital Crown on the fake watch looks wayyyy off. It looks like a cog or gear on the fake thing.

7. kds1 Suspended

kds1

8. iJandro macrumors regular

iJandro

9. Red Oak macrumors regular

Embarrassing

What an embarrassment for CES and the CES organization

10. furi0usbee macrumors 68000

furi0usbee

11. Crosscreek macrumors 68030

Crosscreek

I find this funny. It maybe even fun for the Starbucks crowd and a good laugh at the oooohs and aaaaaahs. ;)

12. G4DP macrumors 65816

Why is it an embarrassment? Because a company has managed to produce the product for $25 that Apple will be charging 20 x that for?

13. travisjaymoore macrumors member

Right, because Apple's product and this one enjoy so much parity. So we should definitely be comparing the price between the two.

14. Stella macrumors G3

Stella

Only to be expected. Though, the battery life is better on this knock off!

I think the Apple quality may be far higher for a start!

15. kingofwale macrumors 6502a

kingofwale

not only it looks exactly same as Apple Watch.

it only costs 1/15 what Apple wants to gouge you for. AND the battery life is 10 times what Apple can do.

Let's be honest, this is probably made in the same factory that's producing AppleWatch.

----------

it's okay, I don't particularly like the look of Applewatch either, but I wouldn't go as far as saying it makes me sick

16. Analog Kid macrumors 601

Analog Kid

Finally, we get an estimate of the battery life on Apple Watch...

17. macs4nw macrumors 601

macs4nw

Those who made this rip-off product are no doubt proud of their accomplishment, while we in the western world shake our heads in disbelief at how brazen these guys are……. unbelievable!

18. nfl46 macrumors 604

nfl46

Wow! I saw this coming though! Damn, it sucks that Apple can't go after these China companies copying their design.

19. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

My deepest sympathies over your recent blindness. Let us know if there's anything we can do to help.

20. Menopause macrumors 6502a

Menopause

I just logged in to say that your comment just shows how ignorant you are of how a final product such as the Apple Watch gets its final price. The price you pay includes years of research, development, which again intrinsically include design, prototyping, machines, countless man hours, the very same again for the accompanying software. Potatohead thieves can blatantly rip these off and sell inferior plastic junk (eg. Samsung) for 1/20th the price, because they didn't have to do any of these.

If you don't understand product development and business management, I'd suggest you refrain yourself from making ridiculous comments about it.

21. Spectrum Abuser macrumors 65816

Spectrum Abuser

I'm still not feeling the vibe of a smart watch. I specifically bought a wrist watch that is solar powered and is equipped with a rechargeable battery for the reason being that I have trouble enough remembering to charge my phone. At least with my watch I know that it'll always be on and ready to go.

22. Tiger8 macrumors 68020

rip offs and plagiarism hapoen everywhere, not just China... You know how many western college professors rip research of unknown researchers from Asia?

23. wetcanvas macrumors regular

24. Natzoo macrumors 65816

Natzoo

ikr, but based on the reports it does seem workable, and it would be funny if the watch had the same amount of battery life as the apple watch but probably won't be same.