Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
So basically no evidence except a murky statement.
Bribery is not standard in China?

http://www.businessinsider.com/china-corruption-in-business-study-2015-1

One Beijing director told Charney Research, "It's common in the business field in China (to offer bribes). Peer competition for customers is fierce." Another respondent said bribery is "an unspoken rule of the industry."
So basically found there was no evidence of wrongdoing. So really nothing concrete except some feelings.

I hope you never get charged with a crime with your jury being MR forum posters. You'd be convicted in a New York minute.
There was. Apple tried to "avoid" paying taxes if you get what I mean and sneak out of the back door but got caught

"http://m.independent.ie/business/ir...tive-spared-italy-jail-sentence-35167822.html"

Michael O'Sullivan, who has worked for Apple for 25 years and oversees filing for some of the company’s international tax returns, faced a potential six-month prison term in Italy as head of Apple's Irish-based unit, Apple Sales International.

The action was brought by Italian prosecutors following a probe which alleged that Apple had failed to pay €879m in taxes in the country.

However, Apple and Italian authorities came to a settlement whereby the six-month jail sentence for the executive has been converted into the payment of a €45,000 settlement.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it

One Beijing director told Charney Research, "It's common in the business field in China (to offer bribes). Peer competition for customers is fierce." Another respondent said bribery is "an unspoken rule of the industry."
But still no proof Apple did anything that would be illegal in the US.

There was. Apple tried to "avoid" paying taxes if you get what I mean and sneak out of the back door but got caught
This was blown out of proportion and has nothing to do with the headliner in the thread.

Michaelgtrusa

macrumors 604
Oct 13, 2008

"http://m.independent.ie/business/ir...tive-spared-italy-jail-sentence-35167822.html"

Michael O'Sullivan, who has worked for Apple for 25 years and oversees filing for some of the company’s international tax returns, faced a potential six-month prison term in Italy as head of Apple's Irish-based unit, Apple Sales International.

The action was brought by Italian prosecutors following a probe which alleged that Apple had failed to pay €879m in taxes in the country.

However, Apple and Italian authorities came to a settlement whereby the six-month jail sentence for the executive has been converted into the payment of a €45,000 settlement.
They also charged people for AppleCare that they didn't need.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
But still no proof Apple did anything that would be illegal in the US.

I just gave you the proof. No one can do business in China without bribery according to that article.

This was blown out of proportion and has nothing to do with the headliner in the thread.

No it's facts. They almost got away with it. The head of Apple's operations narrowly scraping jail time isn't the result of something unintentional.

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
I just gave you the proof. No one can do business in China without bribery according to that article.
I didn't see any proof any there, did I miss the court and jury convicting Apple?

No it's facts. They almost got away with it. The head of Apple's operations narrowly scraping jail time isn't the result of something unintentional.
No, blown out of proportion by the news. Apple does not engage in tax evasion, which is illegal by all standings. Tax avoidance isn't illegal.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013

Did you miss the part which says bribery is an unspoken rule of the industry?

So you mean to tell me that that close shave with jail time was thanks to tax avoidance and not tax evasion?

I7guy

macrumors Nehalem
Nov 30, 2013
Gotta be in it to win it
Did you miss the part which says bribery is an unspoken rule of the industry?

So you mean to tell me that that close shave with jail time was thanks to tax avoidance and not tax evasion?
Did you miss the part of the convo where I asked for proof specific to the accusation? Some general statement is not proof of anything.

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
Did you miss the part of the convo where I asked for proof specific to the accusation? Some general statement is not proof of anything.

If bribery is a standard in any area you think Apple is one of the exceptions?

Radon87000

macrumors 604
Nov 29, 2013
You're still posting all hear-say. And yes, I'm of the opinion Apple would be an exception if one were to believe all of "the facts".

So all those reports about bribes in China are incorrect and you are right?

Just searching for bribes in China nets a ton of resilts on the first page

tzm41

macrumors 6502
Jul 11, 2014
Sunnyvale
So all those reports about bribes in China are incorrect and you are right?

Just searching for bribes in China nets a ton of resilts on the first page

I don't get how you are so fixated on this idea. I think I agree with @I7guy more.

Firstly, it is highly unlikely the statement from some random "Beijing director" reported by Business Insider is 100% accurate. China is vast and diverse. If some people in Massachusetts interpolate the mindset of them and their peers to the whole nation, I almost guarantee they have a false picture of Tennessee. Just by Googling "China+Bribe" you can get whatever you want, but that's not a proof of anything, really.

Secondly, even if that statement is correct, your "no one can do business in China without bribery according to that article" interpretation is truly unsubstantiated. The original statement used the word "common", which is different from the universal quantification you paraphrased.

Thirdly, you tried to twist the unsubstantiated statement with their tax evasion accusation, which does nothing but further diminish the value of your argument, because they are not even related.

In conclusion, you provided barely any evidence to back up your conspiracy claim. Of course, this is the general mindset of conspiracists: come up with a dark story, tout it everywhere because they can say "it happened under the table so the lack of evidence does not debunk my story", and offer no proof themselves but generalizations like "governments are all evil". No difference with people saying "Apollo moon landing is fake" or "US government planned 911".

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.