Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ritte

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2007
Funny thing is that if I use plex and reduce the quality of the 24p material that stutters. It doesnt stutter anymore.

All my other ios-devices can play the original quality.

Reactions: airikh

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
I have XS Max 512, same issues. All 24fps content stutters like crazy. Even just previewing the video in the camera app does it. You don't even have to be recording.

My old X didn't show any of these issues ever.

Good to know regarding the X. I had wanted to test that as well, but they don’t sell them anymore? I didn’t see them in store.

And yes, the native camera app does it just by panning side to side in video mode. I will go further to say even recording in 1080/30fps doesn’t seem what it should be (this is based on me comparing to iPhone 8 Plus).

richard371

macrumors 68040
Feb 1, 2008
So the hardware can handle 30/60 but not 24 makes no sense at all. I gurantee it’s software and Apple over looked something.

It does seem like a hardware limitation based on the stuttering - like playing a game that your computer can’t handle. For me, auto brightness off seems to resolve the issue, but when I tested the iPhone 8 Plus, it was performing better even with auto brightness on.

Guiser

macrumors newbie
Oct 4, 2018
So the hardware can handle 30/60 but not 24 makes no sense at all. I gurantee it’s software and Apple over looked something.

I don't think that it isn't able to handle it. This happens with all video content for me, everything from postage stamp sized all the way up to 4k. If I had to guess, this is a problem matching the frame rate of the source to the frame rate of the display as the brightness is being ramped either up or down by the auto-brightness feature.

Reactions: airikh

idczar

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Is anyone still having this problem? If so, can you share which content is exhibiting this slowness please?
I have XS max myself and I'm not seeing any stuttering whatsoever, no matter how much I tried as well as side by side comparison with 6 on Netflix premium contents (Lost In Space, Haunting, HDR contents), nor on youtube (24 hz stuff).

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Is anyone still having this problem? If so, can you share which content is exhibiting this slowness please?
I have XS max myself and I'm not seeing any stuttering whatsoever, no matter how much I tried as well as side by side comparison with 6 on Netflix premium contents (Lost In Space, Haunting, HDR contents), nor on youtube (24 hz stuff).
Yes is your autobrightness on or off and are u in a place so the sensor will change the autobrightness feature. It usually gets way better barely noticeable if u turn off autobrightness

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018

Yes. I still have the issue. With auto brightness on and watching Netflix in 4K/hdr (lost in space example - s01e01 38min or entire scene with the boy) I also noticed it watching Brooklyn nine nine.

However the stuttering doesn’t seem to appear in the same exact spot all the time, I guess it depends on the light, and if auto brightness has adjusted? Can’t say for sure.

As for recording or just panning the camera in 4K/24fps (with auto brightness on or off at times) I do get some stuttering. However, after more testing I believe some of the jittering may be the optical image stabilizer.

idczar

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
Yes is your autobrightness on or off and are u in a place so the sensor will change the autobrightness feature. It usually gets way better barely noticeable if u turn off autobrightness

My auto brightness has never been turned off. What settings of brightness do you have it on? Max / half way though / lowest? I'm just trying to reproduce on my phone before 14 days elapses.

On the other hand, if I set the camera settings to 4k 24fps, I do notice 'stuttering' as I pan across left to right, but I have yet to observe this in Netflix Premium / Youtube HDR contents.

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
My auto brightness has never been turned off. What settings of brightness do you have it on? Max / half way though / lowest? I'm just trying to reproduce on my phone before 14 days elapses.

On the other hand, if I set the camera settings to 4k 24fps, I do notice 'stuttering' as I pan across left to right, but I have yet to observe this in Netflix Premium / Youtube HDR contents.

I usually have my brightness at 1/4 of the way up (about where the sun icon is on the bar). I’ve tried on all levels of brightness, same issues.

On Netflix, the stuttering is more subtle than the camera stutter. It’s hard to explain, but it’s more like a subtle frame rate slowdown for a 1-3 seconds at a time.

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012

In YouTube hdr content there is no stutter, because all of hdr content seems to be in 60hz.

Search 1080p24 sources, like jonathan Morrison or Austin Evans.

idczar

macrumors newbie
Feb 3, 2009
In YouTube hdr content there is no stutter, because all of hdr content seems to be in 60hz.

Search 1080p24 sources, like jonathan Morrison or Austin Evans.

Thanks for letting me know. I’ve just watched some recent videos, some older ones fron JM and AE channels as suggested but I’m yet to spot any stuttering; believe me I went hawk-eye mode spot any imperfections.

Close to a stuttering I found was playing one of trailers on iTunes movie trailer app.
A star is born > Clip - Notes.

macrumors 65816
May 23, 2016
Middle East
I have a gold 64gb XS Max.

Don’t have any issues with YT 60fps HDR content. Not tried the 24

77dc43f809c656f161d448b00b149a20.jpg

95ce2d5c1dfb6ad52e6d3a3668883f33.jpg

642d1801205150c99201d9ac1d9ab01f.jpg

85923ab69198dd05bd890832237e1e44.jpg

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I have a gold 64gb XS Max.

Don’t have any issues with YT 60fps HDR content. Not tried the 24

77dc43f809c656f161d448b00b149a20.jpg

95ce2d5c1dfb6ad52e6d3a3668883f33.jpg

642d1801205150c99201d9ac1d9ab01f.jpg

85923ab69198dd05bd890832237e1e44.jpg

But 1080p hdr at 60hz doesn’ t give any problems, with no one , the Problems are with 24hz sources.
[doublepost=1540222553][/doublepost]
Thanks for letting me know. I’ve just watched some recent videos, some older ones fron JM and AE channels as suggested but I’m yet to spot any stuttering; believe me I went hawk-eye mode spot any imperfections.

Close to a stuttering I found was playing one of trailers on iTunes movie trailer app.
A star is born > Clip - Notes.

Ok, but I assume you have auto brightness on, and... this is very important and often forgot : did you change the lighting conditions while watching? Because that is when auto brightness kicks in and the stuttering appears.

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
But 1080p hdr at 60hz doesn’ t give any problems, with no one , the Problems are with 24hz sources.
[doublepost=1540222553][/doublepost]

Ok, but I assume you have auto brightness on, and... this is very important and often forgot : did you change the lighting conditions while watching? Because that is when auto brightness kicks in and the stuttering appears.

For me, viewing Youtube is a hit or miss - depends on the quality (fps, res) of video. I did check out Austin Evan's Iphone X review in HDR/1080p, and noticed stuttering right from the beginning. I believe once the auto-brightness "settles" in on a scene, you won't notice it. And yes, 60fps has no issues.

I adjusted the auto-brightness during a scene in Netflix, and the stuttering was more apparent; or in other words, I was able to reproduce the stuttering at the same scene in most cases. Netflix is easier for me to notice stuttering.
[doublepost=1540224908][/doublepost]Are there any specific Youtube videos that you've noticed experience stutter?

I may go to a few stores and check some other XS models and might be able to view some YT vids there.

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
For me, viewing Youtube is a hit or miss - depends on the quality (fps, res) of video. I did check out Austin Evan's Iphone X review in HDR/1080p, and noticed stuttering right from the beginning. I believe once the auto-brightness "settles" in on a scene, you won't notice it. And yes, 60fps has no issues.

I adjusted the auto-brightness during a scene in Netflix, and the stuttering was more apparent; or in other words, I was able to reproduce the stuttering at the same scene in most cases. Netflix is easier for me to notice stuttering.
[doublepost=1540224908][/doublepost]Are there any specific Youtube videos that you've noticed experience stutter?

I may go to a few stores and check some other XS models and might be able to view some YT vids there.
[doublepost=1540234204][/doublepost]Everyone after tons of testing swaps at apple I found the real fix u have to restore ur phone thru iTunes then set up phone as new phone u can't use ur back up soon u put ur backup on it will act up u have to re download all apps redo all settings emailss everything if u use and of ur backs ups it will act up all ur pics and stuff are saved in iCloud but u have to set up as new phone not restore from back up the new iOS has problems with using older stuff on it it's a pain in the a** but only work I've found so far has worked on 5 devices and not just mine others as well

ValO

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 16, 2012
I set up mine, as new, from the unboxing. Installed all apps over again, set my passwords again, etc. but I have had these issues from the start.

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
[doublepost=1540234204][/doublepost]Everyone after tons of testing swaps at apple I found the real fix u have to restore ur phone thru iTunes then set up phone as new phone u can't use ur back up soon u put ur backup on it will act up u have to re download all apps redo all settings emailss everything if u use and of ur backs ups it will act up all ur pics and stuff are saved in iCloud but u have to set up as new phone not restore from back up the new iOS has problems with using older stuff on it it's a pain in the a** but only work I've found so far has worked on 5 devices and not just mine others as well

That’s the only thing I haven’t tried yet only because I’ve read that some others have restored with no luck. I guess it doesn’t hurt to try since my phone doesn’t have a lot of data and apps right now.

However, since the XR is coming out on Friday, wouldn’t that mean iOS 12.1 should release with it? Anyone tried beta 5 today? I might wait til Friday to see if an update hits, otherwise I will try a full restore using iTunes.

Extoll

macrumors regular
Apr 21, 2015
Southport Nc

I will let others try it out. After the whole wrong power chip stuff you swearer by last week... unless you want to admit that was a made up story now.

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I set up mine, as new, from the unboxing. Installed all apps over again, set my passwords again, etc. but I have had these issues from the start.
I didn’t use any back up what so ever. It’s seems to have fixed mine I got a swap yesterday at apple store now I installed iOS from dfu mode I didn’t. It use any backups nothing clean everything g and it was 98% better sometimes I will see a little bit I’ll press pause and play again and it smoothed back out also since I’ve done all this the screen auto brightness is way less buggy it use to jump around a lot but u have to start everything from feeds reinstall all apps emails all done manually smtg is in the old settings that’s causing it to act crazy I’ve noticed a vast improvement like by a lot prob 30-40 percent speed increase everything running smoother I mean it’s only been a 36 hours but so far 2 of my own devices and 3 more friends xs models in a row it have made way better. Like now I’m able to watch my stuff on before it was unwatchable period

Sinonson81

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
I will let others try it out. After the whole wrong power chip stuff you swearer by last week... unless you want to admit that was a made up story now.
I still say that was the problem as this was told by a actual employee at apple and even apple took a lot of my tear downs on the phone from YouTube but what I found was it indeed was a diff chip than the x and 8 and 7 so it has to be a newer chip in the xs and xs max but I can say the restore did not totally fix the issue but it made it a hell of a lot better and thanks dj for the phone to tear down so I’m still unsure about the whole chip thing but it could have happened a lot of phones have diff hard ware and screens and ea one has to have a driver for that hardware so if it was a diff Chip software should be able to fix it they just have to tweak drivers etc. but so far even swaps don’t work and if u swap it u will get a brand new device not a refurb. That is 100percent for sure I know a guy who works at apple store and he said there is not enough time for the xs to have any refurbs there All brand new so the phone I swapped was a good phone just software issues.

sp2000

macrumors member
Oct 17, 2018
Ok, so just reset my phone to factory and set up as new. I still experience the same stuttering.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.