Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Hints earlier this week regarding the release of an official beta version of Google's Chrome browser for Mac have been confirmed. TechCrunch contacted received the news yesterday from a Google spokesperson, who stood by earlier reports that the Mac beta of Chrome will be available by the end of the year.
We asked Google about it and here's what they had to say, "As I'm sure you know, we generally don't comment about timelines for releasing specific features or products. But we've been quoted a few times saying Chrome for mac should be out by the end of the year." I was then pointed to an Reuters article from September that quoted Google's Product Management Vice President, Sundar Pichai, as saying that Chrome for Mac would be released by year's end.
Google's spokesperson also confirmed that the Mac version will follow a similar model as the Windows version, launching initially as part of a Beta channel for active development, with refined versions periodically promoted to a Stable channel for users looking for "rock solid" performance without the need for the latest features still undergoing development.

In other Google news, TechCrunch also reports that the company's Chrome OS, a browser-based operating system built on Linux, is expected to be launched as an early beta or development version for download within the next week.
We expect Google will be careful with messaging around the launch, and endorse a small set of devices for installation. EEE PC netbooks, for example, may be one set of devices that Google will say are ready to use Chrome OS. There will likely be others as well, but don't expect to be able to install it on whatever laptop or desktop machine you have from day one. Google has previously said they are working with Acer, Adobe, ASUS, Freescale, Hewlett-Packard, Lenovo, Qualcomm, Texas Instruments, and Toshiba on the project.

Article Link: Chrome Browser for Mac Beta Confirmed for December, Chrome OS Next Week?

nwcs

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Chrome and Safari are WebKit browsers basically. I don't know how much value there will be to Safari users in switching unless Google makes a dynamite interface. Historical signs point to no on that one.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
i'm curious to know what the Google OS has to offer.. and looking forward for chrome..

Comment

hhaeschen

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
EU
Watch out for your privacy!

I wonder how much data Google is going to gather from Chrome OS users...

Comment

wrldwzrd89

macrumors G5
Jun 6, 2003
Solon, OH
Chrome Browser looks interesting, but I think I'll have to pass on Chrome OS. I'm very concerned about Google stepping over the line of reasonable data collection with all Chrome products...

Comment

CQd44

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2009
Edinburg, Texas
The Chrome browser is amazingly fast. I also like the tabs being separate processes; one can be laggy but it won't affect the other tabs at all (nor will it bring down the whole browser). It's really something.

Comment

Oflife

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2009
I don't think you Mac guys understand...

...(coming from a fellow Mac guy).

Some of you have responded with 'Cool'.

Google are about to launch a massive broadside against the Mac. Just as Android is now the gorilla in the room against the iPhone. (First friends, now enemies.)

People falsely believe Google are targetting Microsoft, when in fact, few established businesses trust anyone but Microsoft, but the young and creative do love and trust Google. If hardware vendors produce stylish technologically advanced devices at 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price of Apple hardware, Apple are going to have problems a year from now.

Don't ignore the fact that the not to stylish but very versatile (and open) DROID from Motorola sold 100,000 units in it's first few days. And there is nothing to stop anyone porting the apps that made the iPhone popular across to Android.

Remember, people purchase items for SOLUTIONS, and the second a low cost Google OS laptop and/or desktop appears that can 'run' robust productivity suites and applications, Apple are going to suddenly be left with some obsolete over priced hardware.

For example, imagine a nice 24" desktop machine for £400 ($600). Or a 15" touch screen laptop for a similar amount.

All that can stop this wil be the (Apple) tablet. If it is flexible enough to act as a web centric and desktop centric device, then coupled with an optional wireless keyboard and competitive pricing, it could hold off Google OS.

:eek:

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009

Google are about to launch a massive broadside against the Mac. Just as Android is now the gorilla in the room against the iPhone. (First friends, now enemies.)

People falsely believe Google are targetting Microsoft, when in fact, few established businesses trust anyone but Microsoft, but the young and creative do love and trust Google. If hardware vendors produce stylish technologically advanced devices at 1/2 to 1/3rd of the price of Apple hardware, Apple are going to have problems a year from now.

Don't ignore the fact that the not to stylish but very versatile (and open) DROID from Motorola sold 100,000 units in it's first few days. And there is nothing to stop anyone porting the apps that made the iPhone popular across to Android.

Remember, people purchase items for SOLUTIONS, and the second a low cost Google OS laptop and/or desktop appears that can 'run' robust productivity suites and applications, Apple are going to suddenly be left with some obsolete over priced hardware.

For example, imagine a nice 24" desktop machine for £400 ($600). Or a 15" touch screen laptop for a similar amount.

All that can stop this wil be the (Apple) tablet. If it is flexible enough to act as a web centric and desktop centric device, then coupled with an optional wireless keyboard and competitive pricing, it could hold off Google OS.

if you believe in apple like in religion, yah, that may be a problem for you, but I don't chose my electronic equipment based on who produced it or what emblem is on it's back.. if Google/MS :)eek:, not too likely ;) ) or someone else delivers a product that suits my need better, i'll buy that!

(i don't have apple shares, so i don't care about the personal financial aspect)^^

and btw. i'm develloping for android. while it's not as "mature" as IphoneOS and still has some "issues", it has a great future lying ahead of it. No limits in regard of app interaction and using all the core librarys. you can even replace the default apps with those yo wrote yourself... so if you think the "mail-app" sucks.. go ahead and replace it with your own app.. if you got the skills, you can build awesome apps, without jailbreaking etc. make way for android...

oh, i own an iphone^^ :eek:

Comment

NexusEclipse

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2009
Chrome is testable; Apple niche is safe

I doubt the Google OS will take away from apple. It will more than likely take away from the netbook/linux crowd. Apple touts ease of use (even though its built on Unix). While windows 7 may not be the target, netbook winxp and linux over all are the losers in this game I think.

btw, alpha version of Chrome for mac is out.

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

See chrome down below on the link. Works well for the most part but some of the options haven't been implemented yet, at least when i downloaded it.

Comment

r23w

macrumors member
May 9, 2008
Already have chrome for osx

http://www.google.com/chrome/intl/en/eula_dev.html?dl=mac

got it this summer

4101011720_7bdbbcd470_b.jpg

Comment

Adiman423

macrumors newbie
Jun 16, 2009
Sweet. Does this mean that I will be able to get the beta for chrome OS in the next week or so, and put it inside a VM(Virtual Machine)?

Comment

baryon

macrumors 68040
Oct 3, 2009

Isn't Chrome OS supposed to target Netbooks? If yes, that is not direct competition with Apple. A browser-based OS cannot compete with a full featured OS. I doubt Chrome could run Photoshop or anything like that. I don't even think anyone will bother re-writing their apps for the Chrome OS as it is designed to run stuff from the web. I don't know much about it, but I have the impression that Chrome OS will most likely be one big browser, probably with some small web-based apps like Widgets or something. It was also said to boot instantly, which means there isn't much to load, which again means that the OS is minimal, and it relies almost entirely on the internet.

Comment

ChrisA

macrumors G4
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
Chrome and Safari are WebKit browsers basically. I don't know how much value there will be to Safari users in switching...

Chrome uses one process per tab. It could run 2, 3 or 8 times faster than safari depending on the number of core you have and the web pages yo are lookng at.

For most people the speed bottle neck on the web is the speed of their internet connection for them a large speed up is not going to happen but I think Google is looking ahead to some very complex web apps Maybe in Chrome OS?

Comment

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Chrome uses one process per tab. It could run 2, 3 or 8 times faster than safari depending on the number of core you have and the web pages yo are lookng at.

Brilliant post.

There is also the advantage that once you close a tab the process not only stops you also reclaim your memory. Far less chance of memory leak issues (this is more relating to Firefox TBH, I don't know if Safari has memory leak issues).

I'm using Chrome on my Windows and Ubuntu installs and also have the developer preview installed on my mac.

I'll be using chrome exclusively once it's out for mac. It's just a shame I have to use Internet Explorer at work. :mad:

Looking forward to playing with Chrome OS too! :cool:

Comment

pcorajr

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2007
I been using Chrome for 3 months now in OSX and Windows and i am very happy with it. It is both fast and very stable. Simple to use and plugin support is on the way.

Chrome OS is going to be a shoot at MS and Linux more than at apple. It is being targeted initially at Netbooks. Apple has no market share in the netbook/cheap notebook section. And I don't think we will see apple release a netbook anytime soon.

Comment

swarmster

macrumors 6502a
Jun 1, 2004
btw, alpha version of Chrome for mac is out.

http://dev.chromium.org/getting-involved/dev-channel

See chrome down below on the link. Works well for the most part but some of the options haven't been implemented yet, at least when i downloaded it.

I love Chrome in Windows, and have been waiting semi-patiently for news of its Mac beta. The dev channels are nice, but while I thought I could live at first, a browser without bookmarks is completely useless me. If I were making a browser, the first thing I would do after getting a webpage to render would be code a bookmark system to save that page, and it's been unbelievable that one still doesn't exist on the Mac after a year and a half on Windows.

I can't wait for the beta, assuming they'll finally have a manager implemented. One month to go.

Comment

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Let Google's full-frontal assault on Microsoft continue! Android kills WinMo, Chrome OS punches away at Windows (which is all about the "bargain buyer," remember?, and Google Docs (next year, after extensive updates) shows enterprise that they don't need to be slaves to Microsoft's expensive software any longer.

Those who think Microsoft's iron grip on the marketplace can't be broken are in for a surprise.

Comment

Jayomat

macrumors 6502a
Jan 10, 2009
does enyone using he chrome beta has problems with viewing pdf files in the browser window? as a matter of fact, it does not show ANY pdf in chrome...

Comment

Speedy2

macrumors 65816
Nov 19, 2008
Maybe in the initial release but I'm sure google is going to do something really cool with android, google voice and the chrome os.

Except that no one really uses the Chrome Browser despite the heavy free attention it received in the media. The market share is negligible and not going anywhere anytime soon. It's a good browser, but most people already have a halfway decent browser (yes, that includes IE8).

And similarly no one really will use Chrome OS. It's just another Linux with a Google bumper sticker on it. Why should it cure all the issues that have been keeping Linux from taking over the desktop for the last 10 years? It won't! It will probably take over the current Linux netbook market share, which is shrinking by the way. And that's basically it. Maybe Google is betting on a new wave of Internet tablets, sparked by a possible Apple tablet. But since many people are questioning the success of an Apple tablet, I doubt that this tablet phenomenon will make major inroads into the entire "computer device" market and allow Chrome OS a wider form of distribution. People prefer Windows-compatible netbooks. They are cheap enough already.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.