All iPads Chrome vs Safari as main browser.

Discussion in 'iPad' started by FrankySavvy, Nov 20, 2013.

1. FrankySavvy macrumors 65816

So I tried to listen to a youtube video in one tab in Safari and then change to another tab to browse the web and The video would always pause.

Is there anyway to do this in safari?,

I downloaded chrome and chrome will allow you to play a youtube video in one tab and allow it to keep playing while you browse in another tab.

Alot more convenient but I love the look of safari better.

2. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68030

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    I love and use only Chrome, Safari has to many e-shoes:cool:

3. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

+1. I much prefer Chrome.

4. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

how is the speed of chrome compared to safari? i was thinking of doing the same thing on my iPad and making chrome my default browser

5. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

How do you make another browser the default browser?

6. FrankySavvy thread starter macrumors 65816

Is there a way to play a you tube video in one tab and browse in another in safari?

7. Delorean2006 macrumors 6502a

By using chrome exclusively in my daily use...

8. Sounds Good macrumors 68000

Oh, I see. I thought you figured out how to make it the default browser within the device.

9. ThreeD macrumors newbie

Is Crome as fast äs Safari? Why are using it over Safari?
    Thanks

10. tomaseriksson macrumors member

tomaseriksson

Safari executes JavaScript faster than chrome. This due to that Safari has Nitro wich compiles JavaScript into native machine code, rather than interpreting it. Third party apps are not allowed to to this due to greater risk for jailbreaking.
    So JavaScript/html5 heavy sites will always be noticeably slower in chrome than in safari.

11. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

-Not as fast on iOS (Faster on Mac OS)
    -Bookmark sync that actually works
    -Bookmark sync works across Windows/android
    -Allows you to request desktop mode of any site
    -allows you to load any tabs open on your iOS device on any other device
    -syncs passwords and autofills forms (apple's sync services are unreliable for me, and restricted to apple oses)

And yes, if you stick to google cloud stuff (drive, hangouts, maps, YouTube) then:
    -Links open in chrome instead of safari
    -signing on once in Chrome will sign on in all the google apps on your iOS device

12. pikachu2k7 macrumors regular

13. T4R06 macrumors 65816

14. wermy macrumors regular

This. This alone is reason enough for me to use Safari over chrome. For some tangible evidence, try running the SunSpider javascript benchmark on both (For some reason I could only get the results page for the latest version to load and show the score properly in Safari - the results page was empty in chrome. Using version 0.9.1 works fine on both, though.). I get 430ms on Safari, and 1469ms on Chrome (lower is better). Pretty huge difference in javascript performance.

15. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

Unfortunately, this can't by done on current iOS. But once the Jailbreak is out for iOS7, there is a tweak that allows you to set your default browser to another browser. This is one of the first tweaks I'll be downloading and installing (when it's out).

Just out of curiosity, how is it that Apple can get away with restricting use to only it's browser as the default in it's OS, yet when Microsoft tried that with Windows and Internet Explorer a number of years ago, they got taken to court for Anti Competitive practices, and were forced to allow users to decouple the IE from Windows? Just curious as to why this is different, and no one has complained about it with Apple?

16. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

Because iOS doesn't dominate any market share.

17. kmichalec macrumors 6502a

18. fanchee macrumors 6502a

fanchee

I really like Chrome and use it frequently. But the thing that makes me keep coming back to Safari is how they both handle bookmarks. In Safari, they are at the top of my screen for one-tap access. On Chrome, it's tap to open bookmarks page, tap to open a particular folder, tap to choose bookmark. Not a huge deal, but it's the reason I personally use Safari most often.

19. ciaran00 macrumors 6502

60-70%? I suggest you read up on the Microsoft case you are referring to:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_v._Microsoft_Corp.

Apple's iOS presence in mobile is nowhere close to being a monopoly of any kind.

In case it's not obvious:
    and
    I'm surprised you think Apple's position in the mobile market is similar at all. Maybe you've been spending too much time on MacRumors. :)

20. heelsbigc macrumors member

I'd been a loyal chrome user since the day it was released for iOS. But since I updated my MBA to maverick chrome has been constantly crashing. So I've forced myself to use safari exclusively for about a week now on my Mac, iPad and iPhone and I don't think I'll go back to chrome. I've been really happy with safari.

21. luckylisp macrumors 6502

This is what I dislike most about chrome too. Otherwise I prefer it to Safari.

22. mlpsponzischeme macrumors regular

My guess is because iOS is only available on Apple products/hardware.

23. bambooshots macrumors 6502a

On my Galaxy SIII I used Chrome.
    on apple products I've been using Safari almost exclusively. It just seems better optimized in regards to speeds and battery life.

24. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

I use Chrome almost exclusively on my Mac Pro and laptops, however I find Chrome a big buggy on my Air, with Safari being the best integrated of the browsers on my idevices.

25. nixiemaiden macrumors 6502a

is Chrome on iOS better than Chrome on Android? Chrome is my browser of choice on my laptop but I couldn't stand it in Android because it would only let me go back 2 or 3 times before it would just start looping through the last 3 pages I have been on....Really frustrating when you are in a search and click a link then another link then another link then try to get back to your search.