Chrome vs. Safari

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by h0ttballer, Dec 25, 2010.

1. h0ttballer macrumors member

So is the new Chrome better than Safari 5?

Whats your take? Which one should I use, and which one do you use? and why?

2. rien333 macrumors regular

I like safari more. It seems faster on most things (not everything) and feels lighter. However, if you really like themes and plugins use chrome. There are some extensions for safari but I haven't seen really great ones.
    Stay with safari, you don't need other great software if you already have it.

3. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I use Safari. Simply because it comes with my mac and I have no problems with it. The day I have a problem with it will be the day I seek an alternative web browser. Until then, Safari is fine.

4. sassy404 macrumors member

I'm fed up of the beach ball on safari, and so i use chrome, for me it's better.

5. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I've used Safari, Firefox, Chrome and Camino, and thus far Safari has worked the best for me, so I'm sticking with Safari.

6. mike.coulter macrumors regular

mike.coulter

I use Chrome, I prefer its functionality and speed. Safari is beautiful but Chrome almost looks as good.

7. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I haven't used Chrome much... but I love the way Safari handles RSS feeds. If Chrome does something similar I'll consider using it.

8. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

I use Safari and once in a while FireFox. Safari runs good and fast and I never have any problems with it. Plus I sync all my bookmarks from it between my iPhone, MBP and iMac via MobileMe.

9. SHADO macrumors 6502a

SHADO

I use Opera and Safari 50/50. Safari is my heavyweight browser and Opera is lightning fast. Chrome is ok but I don't really feel the need to use it.

10. exegete77 macrumors 6502a

I’m in the same situation. I think the latest release of Opera makes it my second most used browser.

11. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

I use Safari almost exclusively...once in a while Firefox when I need to work from home.

There was a bit where I got fed up because Safari seemed sluggish and would crash a lot, but I learned about Click 2 Flash on here and Safari has been almost perfect since I installed.

12. iPhone1 macrumors 65816

iPhone1

Chrome all the way. Don't get stuck with Safari because you think as an Apple user using Google products is wrong.

Chrome is a faster, better browser that allows for syncing between all of your computers. Change a bookmark on your iMac, the change appears on your MacBook.

If you really want to stick with the Safari experience, give WebKit a chance.

13. Tyler23, Dec 26, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010

Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

Well, that's kind of a generalization.

Chrome may be better for some users, but not for others. Personally, I found my browsing experience to be much faster using Safari. Chrome lags quite a bit with page loading and in other areas, whereas Safari is lightning fast.

However, WebKit and Glims are both nice additions to enhance the Safari experience. It just comes down to what works best for each user. I have tried 5 different browsers extensively on my computer, and I've found Safari to work the best.

I recommend you (OP) do the same. Try out each browser. If it's not as good, get rid of it and try the others until you've found which works best for you.

Edit:

I should add, one of my biggest issues is with Chrome is what it does when I try to watch any video. No matter what video I'm trying to watch, Chrome consumes at least 100% of my CPU. It's just ridiculous. Within 15 seconds my fans are up to 4000 rpm and my temp. jumps by at least 12-15 degrees celsius. It's just ridiculous.

14. ct2k7 macrumors 603

ct2k7

I'm on a Macbook Air. I'm now using Chrome. Unfortunately, Safari is beachballing, or cannot handle cookies, such that when I try to log out of some services, I just cannot log out.

15. dance2noise002 macrumors member

Personally, I've started using Opera 11 as my primary, with Safari as my backup. I've used Chrome on and off for a long long while, but there's something I just don't like about it. It feels like a gimmick sometimes, just too many extensions and crap. It doesn't feel very natural on Mac, for some reason. That's just my opinion.

16. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

Hate to quote myself, but it seems fitting here... anywho, I tried Chrome today. It seems to lack built-in RSS support - or if it has it I cannot find it anywhere, which is a shame. Chrome has so much potential, how could Google hide such a useful feature in a not-so-obvious place, or omit it entirely? :(:eek:

17. Kildeer macrumors member

I've tried all the browsers mentioned but use Firefox all the time now, cause I like the extendability of it. I get beachballs in Safari too and Chrome lags when I hover over a bookmark or run the cursor through a list of them. Also, Safari highlights the URL bar instead of placing it in Google's search field whenever I create tab no. 2 coming from tab no. 1. Haven't found a solution yet.

All 3 browsers have their own pros and cons but in the end, Firefox wins for me. :)

18. lildimsum7 macrumors regular

I use chromium. there are many nightly builds each week, so you dont have to wait for the next major release of chrome. btw, chromium is already on v10 and it's faster than any other browser right now

19. jbryant705 macrumors newbie

It may not be built in, but...

RSS may not be built in, but with the Google Reader extension and the iReader extension, Chrome comes out on top. If you need to read RSS in the mail.app, then go with Safari. I personally love Google reader and use Reeder for Mac on my Macbook Pro, iPhone, and iPad. It's incredible.

Links for what I mentioned are here:

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/nlbjncdgjeocebhnmkbbbdekmmmcbfjd

https://chrome.google.com/extensions/detail/ppelffpjgkifjfgnbaaldcehkpajlmbc

http://madeatgloria.com/brewery

When the new readability feature came into Safari I switched back, until I discovered the iReader Chrome extension. I like how Chrome gives you the bare minimum and lets you customize it the way you like it. I also love the free syncing feature. If you pay for MobileMe you get that in Safari, but I don't personally have $100 to fork out right now. If I had several Macs I might consider it, but I like that when I use my Windows PC at work, Chrome looks just like it looks on my Mac every time. If I remove an extension on my Mac, it gets removed from Chrome at the office.

Have fun testing it out. :)

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Better is subjective. I like Safari over Chrome, so for me, it is better.

21. johnnyxhuynh macrumors regular

johnnyxhuynh

I did not know these were available. Thanks! I especially love the Safari-esque implementation of the iReader extension. I have been already been Readability to reformat web articles for a while now, but this extension is just nice.

22. jimithing macrumors member

upgrade your computer with a 100 or so dollar 40-60-80gb (depending on brand, But I suggest Intel) SSD for use as your boot drive and then make your HDD external. or put it in your optical drive's place. .... just a thought. NO MORE BEACH BALLS!

23. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

I'm a "soon-to-be" an iMac owner (never used a Mac before and converting from 20+ years of PC use). Currently I use Chrome on my PC's and love it.

Question: Is there an advantage to use Safari over Chrome on a Mac? In other words, does Safari do things better "natively" on a Mac vs Chrome since "Safari" is an apple/Mac product??

thanks

24. nefan65 macrumors 65816

nefan65

I recommend you use Safari first for a bit. Try it, and see if it meets your needs. If you feel it isn't, then you can install Chrome. I've used both, and find I prefer Safari over Chrome. I haven't noticed anything that Chrome offers, in regards to features, performance, etc. so why bother? It's a personal thing really....

25. curtisinoc macrumors 6502

Thanks for your quick reply and suggestion. The main reason I use Chrome is because I have a "gmail/google account" and Chrome integrates a lot of "google stuff" into the browser by way of "extensions": ie: notifications for google reader, mail and calendar directly into the browser.

I was wondering if Safari does things like this "natively" with the Mac that Chrome doesn't, since it's a apple/mac product. From reading here on this forum, I see that Safari can sync bookmarks with my iPhone4 (neat feature). Does Safari do other "native" things like this that Chrome cant?