Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bad03xtreme

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2009
Northern, VA
Bigger isn't always better. In fact I'm not sure that I'll even consider this Apple design if it truely ends up being larger than my 4S. I will probably hold on to what I've got for as long as possible. But I'd never consider one of the larger Android phones.

Sucks, because I'm usually looking forward to an upgrade.

You are in the minority i'm afraid...

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
i hate this home button so much. i hope it goes away and never comes back with the iPhone 7

and meh at still using the same design just bigger. is apple getting lazy now that they are on top?

i wish they would go back to something with more curves, my 4/4S are uncomfy to hold. saw the S3 for the first time out in the wild last week and i have to say, it feels nicer in your hand and its actually not that much bigger considering its screen size.

What do you want then, a touch sensitive button, now that would really Suk.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
check zephyr on cydia. thats what i call INNOVATING. havent used the homebutton on my iPhones in months

Yes I am aware of that, but many people don't want to JB their device, and then....????

Edit: Off topic Am I the only one that experiences MR never loading completely, alway 1 item left to load.

Attachments

• Picture 3.png
    Picture 3.png
    10.2 KB · Views: 140
Last edited:

oneMadRssn

macrumors 603
Sep 8, 2011
Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- A slightly larger screen that is years behind the competition.
- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Its just the same phone, a little bigger.

I don't think Apple has run out of ideas, unless your you think it's an idea to copy the android herd.

- This isn't a bad thing unless you start with the assumption that what the competition is doing is better. Personally, I don't want a 5" mini-tab with a grainy pentile display. I want a minimalist screen with as high as pixel density as they can get without sacrificing color or brightness. And for the record, your galaxy nexus has less pixel density than the iphone 4. Who's years the behind the competition then?

- Don't fix it if it ain't broken. The only reason google changes the UI on Android with every major revision is because they never got it right to begin with.

- You're mostly right on this one. They aren't exactly the last company to market with LTE. They did release an LTE iPad in early 2012. However, when it comes to phones, they are a bit late to the LTE game. Then again, LTE coverage right now is limited only to major cities. Also, I just don't care about LTE. 3g is fast enough for 95% of what I do on my phone (email, calendar, small data apps like yelp, etc.), and the other 5% of the time I'm on wifi.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
That is strange how the black cover has a larger home button hole. I too agree that Apple is getting lazy with their phones which arguably is their biggest revenue.

----------

These are two separate pictures showing one piece, not two pieces side by side. One is showing the front side and the other is the same piece flipped over.

Edit: Jack Delgado beat me to it.

Hmm...I don't know

somethingelsefl

macrumors 6502
Dec 22, 2008
Tampa, FL
I love these rumors. "Here is a tiny screw from the front, left corner of the maybe white iPhone"

Then...the comments are something like this "That screw is boring and Apple didn't innovate enough." or "That screw is even tinier and shinier than last year!" or "I think the screw was photo-shopped, just look at the glare at the top."

Here is the deal with hardware leaks...Apple is a software company that builds the hardware to run it. Hardware leaks are just part of the story behind the total experience on the iPhone. I eat these posts up like iCandy.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Not getting the White version this time. Been there, done that. Going back to Black.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Yes I am aware of that, but many people don't want to JB their device, and then....????

but thats what im saying ... get rid of the home button and come up with something innovative and special again. isnt that their job?

as it stands right now, apple is only improving 3rd party additions to the iOS like Yielp (sigh) or Facebook. they are slowly turning iOS into an ad platform without people even realizing. pretty smart from their point of view tho, some extra few bucks into their pocket for getting those partners on board

Jailbreakers tend to forget that the majority of people don't want to jailbreak. Most people expect Apple to be perfect as is.

who says anything about jealbreaking? all im saying is that there are better ways already out, so apple could easily come up with their own solution

gadget123

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2011
United Kingdom
I fear this will be another dud model.

The Iphone 4 seems the best to me, better battery life too. Can't see battery improving on the 4S with this screen.

Long is strange. Not a fan of the new Galaxy but they are going with a wider screen which is better for a 4". What's the point in a tall one other than making it a brick phone from the 1980's and looking like the LG Prada? :rolleyes:

Bring back those mocks of the aluminum back, slimmer design like the Ipod touch from a year or two ago. THAT should be the next Iphone.

All I see is a BIG Iphone 4?? Time for a proper change of design.

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Yes, because every single Android phone is TOTALLY different! I'm pissed they didn't make it star shaped. Rectangles are so boring! :rolleyes:

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
I just don't WHAT some of the posters here are going to do if Apple releases a 4" screen on an iPhone. You know the ones - the ones that said anything bigger than 3.5 is stupid and won't fit in their hands and pockets. I guess they won't be upgrading? :confused:

brentsg

macrumors 68040
Oct 15, 2008
You are in the minority i'm afraid...

Is there any market research you can point to? Keep in mind that people who will worry with their smartphone preferences on a site like this ARE the minority.

I look around at my family and family that well represent the majority. They want a device that's mostly a phone, but that they can check e-mail on and play the occasional bit of Angry Birds. For those purposes, why would they want to pocket something large?

The only people that I personally know that have anything larger than an iPhone are 2 guys that work as IT systems engineers, and one of them also has the huge extended battery strapped on so he can make it through the day. Not the majority..

foodog

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2006
Atlanta, GA

...and it will be the best selling phone model once its released.

nick_elt

macrumors 68000
Oct 28, 2011
- The iPhone screen is better than any Android I have used save the HTC One X. If superior to you means larger, then you'll be excited to hear the new Note is 0.2" larger.

- You can make similar arguments about any UI. Mac OS X is 11 years old and with a broad stroke its "the same". I wouldn't go back tho. ;-P If customization is your thing, well, you already mentioned jail breaking.

- I find it hard to believe you get great battery life out of any android LTE or GSM. I barely get 4 hours of screen time out of my Galaxy SIII on GSM and HTC One X. That's absolutely pathetic compared to the over 12 hours (3 days of use) I got out of the iPhone 4. The best life I got from an Android was from my Droid Incredible 4G LTE, mostly because the screen was a reasonable size and it used IPS technology instead of SAMOLED. Even the RAZR MAXX can't really best the iPhone on anything but talk time. So, I sort of support your argument that the Snapdragon S4 can handle LTE without annihilating the battery, but I can't agree I've ever seen a droid with good battery life in the first place. The nexus is especially pathetic. (Yes, I've used one)

In any case, I find it highly hypocritical of a group that screams choice till the blood vessels burst in their foreheads trying to make an argument against a choice. The iPhone is now and has always been a great choice.

with all the millions of different sized android phones, why doesnt one of the manufacturers have a premium phone that is only 4'? all the flagship models are more like paddles. That is one of the biggest reasons holding me back fom anything else. Yeh ive heard the new note is .2 larger, when i picked up a note first thing i noticed was how small it was................

ComputersaysNo

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2010
Amsterdam
I am curious why the leak is supposedly from China, while Apple just builded a shiny new iphone factory in Brazil? 2 prototypes send out and see which one surfaces first?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006

Thats the beauty of choice. You've gone with Android/Nexus, some prefer WP7.5, others prefer other platforms. The rest who don't subscribe to your criticism will welcome the new revision with open arms.

Buy what works for you and move on.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
And yet people are still expecting a radically different looking new iPhone.

Once again.... You've seen the new iPhone. Stop expecting something different.

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
but thats what im saying ... get rid of the home button and come up with something innovative and special again. isnt that their job?

as it stands right now, apple is only improving 3rd party additions to the iOS like Yielp (sigh) or Facebook. they are slowly turning iOS into an ad platform without people even realizing. pretty smart from their point of view tho, some extra few bucks into their pocket for getting those partners on board

who says anything about jealbreaking? all im saying is that there are better ways already out, so apple could easily come up with their own solution

Oh, I am all for it, but I don't think Apple will remove the button and has a software only option.
Aren't there special button presses that will invoke a certain action with the home button, example press button X together with home button to reset or something like this.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Is there any market research you can point to? Keep in mind that people who will worry with their smartphone preferences on a site like this ARE the minority.

I look around at my family and family that well represent the majority. They want a device that's mostly a phone, but that they can check e-mail on and play the occasional bit of Angry Birds. For those purposes, why would they want to pocket something large?

The only people that I personally know that have anything larger than an iPhone are 2 guys that work as IT systems engineers, and one of them also has the huge extended battery strapped on so he can make it through the day. Not the majority..

yet im the only one of my friends and former iPhone users left with an iPhone. see, personal experiece doesnt really mean anything. they were all tired of waiting for a new iPhone and indeed wanted something bigger.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.

That's what I like about it - constancy. The UI might need some changes, system-wide, because the new iOS 6 beta still seems like a total failure to me. I think we'll all eventually get used to the 16:9 ratio and the phone doesn't look that bad. I am not a huge fan of the new back though, unibody would have been nicer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.