Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylersdad

macrumors regular
Jul 26, 2010
ill wait for the announcement of the iPhone and decide after if its time to try something new and fresh ;)

I'm doing the same thing. Taller screen is a good start, but doesn't go far enough, IMO. I don't want to be forced to switch my phone to landscape orientation when reading books or news articles on the device. It's much more comfortable to hold the phone in portrait orientation. A wider screen (in portrait orientation) would be better.

I'd also like to see the rounded back return. My 3GS was FAR more comfortable to hold in my hand than my 4.

fromoxwithlove

macrumors newbie
Feb 6, 2011
flipped

You know - it looks like this might just be the white front panel - the "black" one is just the white panel flipped over...

Can't wait ;)

Allenbf

macrumors 6502
Jul 7, 2012
Elsewhere, USA
Sorry to interject a real question into the usual mix of "Apple is stale and will die" comments, but I wonder if the added screen length and 16:9 ratio would mean an additional row of app icons on the screen? As in, 6 icons per column (counting the bottom tray) instead of the 5 as it is now?

Doesn't matter, but I'm just curious.

Also, for ME, I like this design. I'm not interested in a phone that is 5 inches, if I want something that large, I'll use my iPad or maybe the rumored iPad Mini if such a creature exists. :)

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
http://www.quantance.com/

I'm hoping Apple utilizes Quantance in the "new" iPhone.

Quantance is 50% more efficient and much much faster, compared to previous chips. This could be an LTE game changer. To all of those saying Apple is late to the LTE game, maybe they're just in time.

Oh and lastly, that's not the black iPhone. Read the article people, or better yet, read the article title. :eek:

JHankwitz

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2005
Wisconsin
Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.
- A slightly larger screen that is years behind the competition.
- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

Its just the same phone, a little bigger.

It always amazes me how people can tell that something will be the same by just looking at a photo of its outer case. Also, how they constantly expect perfection to become more perfect.

I personally purchase products because they provide a function that serves me well. Expecting change for the sake of change is a total waste.

C

champ01

Blows me away why people still buy these things. It literally looks like the very first iPhone from the front. Sure the backing sides etc have changed but lets be honestly.. Apple has completely run out of ideas.

- Basically the same UI it has had for 5 years. Sure some additions to it, but it looks the same and you still cant customize it without jailbreaking.
- Last company to the market with LTE - argument here is battery life. I get great battery out of my Nexus with LTE on. Copout.

I wan't the same phone with the same sized screen with the same UI.
All Apple needs to do it put better specs under the hood.

I knew what I want 5 year ago and so did Apple. Let's hope we're still on the same page. :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010

This is where the downvote button would be handy.

If Apple wanted to build a phone with a 5" screen they could. They aren't. There's probably a good reason for it.

As for the UI, again, why change it if it isn't broken? It took Android up to now to get a decent UI that is as smooth as IOS. Plus, changes to Android have become more incremental over the years.

As for LTE, it was the same with 3G. They are waiting for power-efficient chipsets to become available. The Galaxy Nexus is huge. Getting decent battery life out of something the size of the iPhone requires a bit more creativity.

The iPhone is following Apple's normal course. They release it, and then let it evolve over time. Few Apple products, even from the Steve Jobs era, radically change over time, with the notable exception of the iPod.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.

Wait for the "inside" specs to be confirmed. It is not the same phone. It is a very functional design that works well for the people who choose to be in the Apple Ecosystem. For those who do not, you have many choices.

If they have 10 million units for launch it will be a 2-3 week wait after 7 days. I like the design. Reminds me of the Lumia 900, which IMO feels great in my hand. I like the taller versus wider design element.I have a feeling the majority of people will really like how it feels in the hand.

iOS does everything 95% of people who use it need. The other 5% post in places like here.

The nice thing is you have choice. Apple's Ecosystem or not. If you have invested so heavily in Apple products that changing would cost thousands, I doubt this new phone is a motivator. :)

Frenchjay

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2010

Here's the thing. Outside of tech blogs and phone geeks the vast majority of people by the iPhone because it looks the best out of all the handsets, it's the simplest to use and has the most stable software. I'm sure a lot of people don't like the look of the new handset based on 'leaks' but in reality no one knows anything.

I'm willing to bet Apple will have a new iPhone design that people will absolutely drool over when they actually hold it in their hands. Jonathan I've is still there and unless he's had a stroke I don't envisage any bad exterior design to the phone. It's the same every year. People complain based on leaks and when the phone comes out they're first in line.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
I'm so sick of seeing these damn leaks of an unfinished products. And of a product that may or may not be the new iPhone. Seeing something like this means nothing as a finished device will always look better than a prototype or just the front or back case.:rolleyes:

Razeus

macrumors 603
Jul 11, 2008
I still like to be able to set my own default apps for services (mail, camera, etc.) .

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This design is a flop IMO, the screen needed to be wider to keep up with the current market and it seems Apple has failed to do that. I think that decision it will come back to bite them.

You assume that Apple is all about keeping up with the market. They aren't. They don't design based on what everyone else is doing. They design based on what everyone else is going, patent the design and sue everyone for following their lead.

Apple will only make their screen bigger if they feel that bigger is better. Not because everyone else is doing it.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
This is real and Tim will be proven to be a fool.

Or its fake and Tim is laughing his ass off cause yet again his tactic of letting the sites run with their way off base rumors so they aren't trying to sort out the truth and will look like morons when the real thing is announced in a couple of months and is nothing like this has worked.

who knows at this point.

TallGuy1970

macrumors 6502
Jun 16, 2010
Design, or how something looks, will always be a matter of opinion. Some will like the way the new iPhone looks. Some will not. That is NEVER going to change. To make a purchase based on what something looks like is a bit foolish.

What really matters is how it works! Granted, a larger screen will dictate a little bit of the design, but the way the hardware and soft integrate; how the apps run; How the phone provides a way to accomplish all you need it to; that's where the true beauty of a device lies! :cool:

SpyderBite

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2011
Xanadu
I have a white iPhone 4. I am expecting delivery of my new 4s today. Why? Because just in case all of the sci-fi dreams being passed around as fact are even slightly true, I can keep my pocket sized iPhone.

4g? Don't need it. I know how to connect to a wifi network with my phone and don't rely on cellular data when it's unnecessary.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
with all the millions of different sized android phones, why doesnt one of the manufacturers have a premium phone that is only 4'? all the flagship models are more like paddles. That is one of the biggest reasons holding me back fom anything else. Yeh ive heard the new note is .2 larger, when i picked up a note first thing i noticed was how small it was................

My guess is that one reason is that a 4" Android phone with LTE would have such short battery life that it would be panned and wouldn't sell well.

Android seems tuned for 5" smartphones and 7" tablets. There just isn't enough differential between the two, which may be a part of the reason why the Android tablet market has struggled for the past 2 years. Google has been treating tablets as if they are simply big smartphones.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011

I find it ironic that a company that routinely gets hated on for caring about "form over function" is now being hated on because their designs haven't changed much. Or because they're not aping what Android OEM's are doing. The haters moan about retina just being marketing but couldn't the same be said about larger screen phones? That's just marketing from the phone carriers and OEM's to get you to think that bigger = innovation = better when in reality bigger is most likely due to LTE battery needs. And of course carriers wanting customers to use LTE.

acslater017

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2006
San Francisco Bay Area
looks revolutionary!

good timing as my iphone 4 is running sllllllllllllowwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :D

My iPhone 4 used to run super slow too. I highly recommend backing up everything, restoring the device to factory settings, and re-loading your content (NOT "restoring from backup"; this may reload any software corruption).

I just did that awhile ago and it feels brand new now!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.