Claimed 'iPhone X Plus' Displays and Digitizers Shown in Leaked Photos

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

New photos claimed to be of the rumored 6.5-inch "iPhone X Plus" screen and digitizer have been shared on the MacX forums [Google Translate], with the poster claiming the parts come from a "trial run of production equipment" at LG's facilities in Vietnam.

The first photo shows a single digitizer held in a person's hand, and the overall size certainly appears larger than an iPhone X part, while the relative size of the notch to the digitizer's width is slightly different than on the iPhone X. At least one rumor has, however, claimed the second-generation iPhone X could have a smaller notch, so we shouldn't necessarily expect the notch-to-display proportions to be the same between iPhone X generations.

[​IMG]

The digitizer includes a flex cable at the bottom of the part for connecting to the iPhone's logic board, and the part number printed on the cable is similar to the format typically used by Apple.

An apparent date code also shown on the flex cable points to a production date in the 46th week of 2017, which would correspond to mid-November, so this isn't a particularly recent part although there could be substantial lag between digitizer production and the part's incorporation into a full display assembly.

The second photo shows a tray containing a set of four assembled display/digitizer components. Again, the size appears larger than the corresponding iPhone X part based on the relative size of the small earpiece slot visible on one of the parts. The rear design of the part is also very similar but not identical to the iPhone X display assembly.

[​IMG]

Samsung is the exclusive supplier of OLED displays for the iPhone X, but previous rumors have indicated LG could become the supplier for the so-called iPhone X Plus this year, so the purported location of these photos at LG's plant in Vietnam fits with those rumors. Apple has reportedly invested billions of dollars to help LG get its OLED display production up and running to increase overall supplies and give Apple more flexibility in not needing to rely solely on Samsung.

[​IMG]

Apple is rumored to be launching three new iPhones around the usual September timeframe this year: a second-generation iPhone X with the same 5.8-inch OLED display size, a larger "iPhone X Plus" with a 6.5-inch OLED display, and a new LCD-based model with a similar full-face display to the iPhone X design but measuring about 6.1 inches.

(Thanks, Siting!)

Article Link: Claimed 'iPhone X Plus' Displays and Digitizers Shown in Leaked Photos

2. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

Does that look like less bezel than the regular X to you too?

(if its real)

3. Populus macrumors 6502a

Populus

Bigger, and bigger, and bigger... Come on Apple! Give us a 4,7" iPhone X!

Yeah, definitely. And I think this is for real, there are so many voices claiming the 6,5" size for a long time, and now this pictures that seem pretty legit (even though they are not blurry). We are going to have iPhablets

4. I7guy macrumors P6

I7guy

This September might be more interesting than last September.

5. wolfie macrumors regular

Bit early to start making these?

Could we see a earlier release to stifle the comp. and increase the lacklustre iPhone sales?

6. 4k78 macrumors member

I have iPhone 7 Plus and really wanted the X, but like using it in landscape mode. While the screen it larger on the X slightly, it is narrower, which I don't like. If this is true, then I guess I need to hold out for the X Plus or whatever it's going to be called.

7. zahuh macrumors regular

As someone who always purchased a plus model and now has the X, I can’t wait for the X plus!

8. Theyayarealivin macrumors 6502

Here we go again! Really hoping iPhone gets a launch date this summer!

9. JosephAW macrumors 68000

JosephAW

Looking for the iPhone SE Pro with notch and Apple Watch 4 with notch.

10. now i see it macrumors 68020

The LCD phone wil be the one to get. Pity that it's notched at the top too.

11. JayIsAwesome macrumors 65832

JayIsAwesome

Same. I miss those old school summer iPhone releases

12. jonnysods macrumors 603

jonnysods

I'm pretty satisfied with this 5.8" size. I liked the plus models but they were massive as far as form factor goes. I'll just wait two years for a new contract while they sort out their lineup and improve tech.

13. subjonas macrumors 65816

14. Chumburro2U macrumors 6502

Chumburro2U

I just hope they don't dumb down the 5.8" model this year. I don't want a gooberish phone.

15. quietstormSD macrumors 6502a

quietstormSD

Come on, I need to leaked parts of a bezeless MacBook Pro screen with a notch and Face ID

16. alexhardaker macrumors member

17. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Lackluster? Did you see the last quarter results?

18. BasicGreatGuy, Feb 24, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 24, 2018
  19. kstotlani macrumors 6502

I thought the LED panel would fold under the bottom or top part of the screen. Isn’t this shown in the schematic for X. How is this the whole piece.

20. riverfreak macrumors demi-god

riverfreak

Keep increasing the sizes!

21. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

22. Maigrais macrumors newbie

Maigrais

Good but I am really smitten with iPhone X. Its size, display quality, speed and camera.

23. nia820 macrumors 68020

nia820

That thing looks massive. I wanted a x plus but not that big.

24. Bustycat macrumors regular

Bustycat

Won't it be iPhone Xs Plus?