Claimed SIM Tray for Next-Generation iPhone Points to Nano-SIM Standard

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

In line with recent claims that European carriers have been stockpiling nano-SIMs with some carriers even working with Apple to test the new, smaller cards ahead of the next-generation iPhone launch, Nowhereelse.fr shares [Google translation] a set of comparison photos showing what is claimed to be a nano-SIM tray for the next iPhone next to the current micro-SIM tray used in the iPhone 4S. If the part is legitimate, it indeed confirms that Apple will be using the smaller SIM card form factor that it worked to push through standards approval earlier this year.

With new photos of the next-generation iPhone's SIM tray in hand, we have reexamined the photos from early May of what was also claimed to be the device's SIM tray, and we now believe that we were incorrect in our initial assessment that that part represented a micro-SIM tray nearly identical to that found in the iPhone 4S. While those photos did not show the side of the tray that holds the SIM card, the overall dimensions of the tray are in a ratio of roughly 1.55-1.6. This is in line with what is seen on the new nano-SIM tray shown by Nowehereelse.fr and different from the iPhone 4S micro-SIM tray that has dimensions in a ratio of approximately 1.37. The nano-SIM card itself has dimensions in a ratio of 1.4, compared to a ratio of 1.25 for the larger micro-SIM.

Consequently, it indeed appears has indeed been planning to use its proposed nano-SIM standard in the next-generation iPhone for a numbers of months, even before the standard was approved by the European Telecommunications Institute (ETSI).

Today's report also shares photos of what are claimed to be the white and black versions of the home button for the next-generation iPhone, and these photos are in line with previously-leaked photos from late April that represented the first of a number of part leaks claimed to be for the upcoming iPhone.

Article Link: Claimed SIM Tray for Next-Generation iPhone Points to Nano-SIM Standard

4mat

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2008
Ya. I get to try and get a new sim from my carrier. Or as I like to call it, blood from a stone. Thanks Telstra.

Uncle Ruckus

macrumors newbie
Jul 15, 2012
Where's there phone?¿ I don't think anybody cares about a sim card tray.

Uncle Ruckus no relations.

gwelmarten

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2011
England!
Suspicious

The actual tray takes up the same (nearly) amount of space / has the same foot print as the 4S one. Why would Apple do that? It doesn't allow them to save that much space.

applesith

macrumors 68030
Jun 11, 2007
Manhattan
Can we assume the color is explained by the fact this is a prototype piece, or does it say something about the new iPhone? Or is that tray not visible from the outside of the phone?

1080p

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Planet Earth
There seems to be a bunch of unnecessary "bezel" on that tray on the top of that tray. I thought this was to save Apple some space?

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
Can we assume the color is explained by the fact this is a prototype piece, or does it say something about the new iPhone? Or is that tray not visible from the outside of the phone?
The tray would most certainly be visible unless there's something very odd happening. The little hole on the side is where you insert the sim removal tool and that has to be accessible.

r-m

macrumors 6502a
May 7, 2010
Hopefully someone will pitch this against the images of the leaked case parts to see if the tray matches the gap...

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
The actual tray takes up the same (nearly) amount of space / has the same foot print as the 4S one. Why would Apple do that? It doesn't allow them to save that much space.
not really. there still needs to be a pin release for hte trey. the new trey is a few mm smaller.. every mm counts in this area.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
So can you actually cut a regular sim down to this size? it doesn't look like there is much more to cut without cutting the contacts on the one I cut down for my 4S. And if you cant then this is just going to be really frustrating.

newyorksole

macrumors 68040
Apr 2, 2008
New York.

That is the new iPhone...... You've seen it many times

Same color as the Nano-SIM........