Class Action lawsuit filed against Apple

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wifeofpdx, Aug 20, 2008.

1. wifeofpdx macrumors member

2. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

What a waste of time - the only people who'll make out of this will be the lawyers.
    Apple will fix the issue (and would do with or without a class action lawsuit) and anyone who is getting sub-par performance should simply hand the phone back if the don't want to wait.

3. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

There's no way this will have legs, because Apple hasn't really had a reasonable amount of time yet to fix the problem. And I'm pretty sure they'll eventually get it fixed, it's in their own best interest to do so.

4. ninethirty macrumors 6502a

You just know the chick who filed that complaint too is the most high maintenance uneducated idiot ever. This will go NOWHERE.

5. PredatoryWasp86 macrumors member

apple must love/hate their customers

apple fans love their products more than anything, but they have really high expectations

most other companies, consumers get the product and say, "well it's a piece of crap, but that's what i expected."

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Ive noticed this as well. We are always somehow expecting some sort of super perfect device from apple and when they miss (barely, as far as im concerned the iphone is definatly the best phone around) theres always those "how could apple do this to me?!" response.

:apple:

7. slapguts macrumors 6502a

slapguts

There definitely is a rift in the Reality Distortion Field.

8. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Heh, I won't say what I'm thinking right now, but it has to do with this site.

9. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I could care less about monetary damages, but if it leads towards a quicker resolution of the issue than I think it is a good think that it was filed.

10. rKunda macrumors 65816

rKunda

I wish I could file a class action lawsuit against people that file class action lawsuits.

11. spamdumpster macrumors 6502a

Let's do it.

Seriously, as an attorney, let me tell you the law in this area: if you buy something, and you don't like how it works, ****ING RETURN IT. It's really that simple. No lawsuit need be filed.

12. ctshu2002 macrumors newbie

13. Trajectory macrumors 6502a

Class action lawsuits are for companies who knowingly sell defective products and have no plan to fix them or refund people's money.

If you take your phone to AT&T or Apple, they will mostly likely replace it, or refund your money. So, where's the wrongdoing here?

14. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

I love the internet where "women," "person who filed the complaint," or "lady" always seems to be spelled "chick." Good going guys, way to show your maturity.

15. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Have to wonder why people didn't avail themselves of the 30-day trial period and return the phone.

If you have subpar 3g performance during the 30-day trial period, and decide to keep the phone -- you are basically saying that the performance issues don't merit returning the phone and/or switching providers.

16. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

its because people want EVERYTHING. they want to have the iphone, they want to SAY they have an iphone, but they also want it to work the way THEY want it to.. and not the way is actually works.

Its ridiclous and the lawyer who is taking this on is JUST doing it for publicity.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Welcome to the real world, where you don't get second chances if you lie or screw up.

If a company advertises a car that goes twice as fast, for half the gas... and it doesn't.... then no, they don't get to "fix it later" or tell customers to "return it and get your money back", so others can buy it.

OTOH, didn't Apple have little disclaimers on those ads?

18. ks-man macrumors 6502a

I think the problem is twofold in that for some customers to have a workable phone they need to switch off 3G coverage but AT&T still charges them an extra $10/month.

If you don't live in a 3G area, you knew that going in so can live with it. If however you expected 3G to work based on the coverage maps and the iphone won't work as a 3G phone (and the only solution to have a working cell phone is to switch to edge), than there is a problem.

19. automatickyle macrumors regular

This lady is from Birmingham? I am living up in Huntsville and was down there last weekend. I got nothing but 3G that was very much 2x faster than my edge on the original iPhone. Maybe she needs to go get the phone swapped out.

She will get no where with this. If anything maybe it will speed up Apple in getting the "fix" out there for this.

20. SHIFTLife macrumors 6502

It's still just a lawsuit. The plaintiff has requested Class status, however, it has not been granted yet. The Ars article clearly states this. So, both this thread and the headline of the Ars article are misleading.

21. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Here is a pdf for her 10 page complaint.

Smith v. Apple, Inc. (pdf)

About the only other thing today, was a 10-day extension for the Psystar response.

22. Hutch1 macrumors 6502a

Hutch1

If you looked at the pictures and didn't read what the Disclaimer says on the map, not really sure who's to blame for that but if you don't like it you have thirty days to return it, so exactly what is the problem.

23. Denny Crane macrumors member

Denny Crane

24. AndroidSUCKS macrumors newbie

At least she got the media to bring attention to the iPhone's 3G problems AGAIN before it got swept under the rug.

25. automatickyle macrumors regular