Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Do you have any pictures of these large ladiies buckles?

Hit any jewelry stores for that.

There's even a women's belt with the similar style clasp used on the Modern Buckle.

CoiledVintageBelts5.png

bunnicula

macrumors 68040
Jul 23, 2008
It's the size plus rounded edges that leads most people to think the modern buckle is a women's band. That plus it being offered only on the 38mm watch.

If that buckle was squared instead of rounded and it was offered in 42mm, more men would want it.

franzkfk

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2011
Czech Republic
Oh yeah, because you say so, the authority on femininity as appointed by who exactly?

Why do you care who wears what watchband, seriously? Mind things that concern you, and let others make choices for themselves.

It is feminine. If you don't see the facts that's your problem;)

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What's "they"?

The quite large, rounded clasp makes it decidedly feminine. They could have designed it to be more gender neutral but seeing that Apple has deliberately not made it available to overlap men's wrist size, they do not envision men wearing it.

Tech bloggers (John Gruber) who have seen it in person definitely agree it's a feminine band. The photos below should tell you why.

:( hmmm...the photos made me think I don't like that design as much as I thought I would. And based on the photos on Apple's site it had been one of my favorites, too. It's just that the band looks so thin and insubstantial against such a prominently sized buckle. That is possibly what gives it a feminine cast to some observers.

whtrbt7

macrumors 65816
Jun 8, 2011
The modern buckle looks very feminine but I feel that isn't a bad thing for men. I think it would go quite well with a tux or with a nice suit. I just wish they had some more exotic leathers. It's definitely s dressier strap and compared to the classic buckle, it's definitely more feminine. I like it for the satisfying magnetic click which I thought was very sexy during the :apple:Watch reveal.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
:( hmmm...the photos made me think I don't like that design as much as I thought I would. And based on the photos on Apple's site it had been one of my favorites, too. It's just that the band looks so thin and insubstantial against such a prominently sized buckle. That is possibly what gives it a feminine cast to some observers.

It looks about the thickness of a regular watch band. It is 23 grams vs. 16 grams for the classic buckle, and 37 grams for the black sport band. My guess is that the difference between it and the classic is mostly the buckle mechanism itself.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I'm sure it is a beautiful and substantial band in person. It just looked a bit off in the lighting of those pictures. The color of the blue leather looks very different from the dark blue on the web site. I like both shades as they look in the photos but prefer it darker blue as on the Apple site for my wardrobe.

Phillybizzle

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2014
It's really quite stupid that they did make it "feminine" by adding the huge clasp and only doing it in 38mm. Men also wear blue or brown leather watch straps.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's really quite stupid that they did make it "feminine" by adding the huge clasp and only doing it in 38mm. Men also wear blue or brown leather watch straps.

They do make a 42mm midnight blue classic buckle but that's only available on the $15,000 Edition model. They should make midnight blue and brown classic buckle straps for the SS models.

nutmac

macrumors 603
Mar 30, 2004
I like it for the satisfying magnetic click which I thought was very sexy during the :apple:Watch reveal.

Agreed. I only wish Classic Buckle used the same magnetic clasp. All the leather bands and belts I have used wears out rather quickly.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
Agreed. I only wish Classic Buckle used the same magnetic clasp. All the leather bands and belts I have used wears out rather quickly.

That's the thing. I wouldn't mind having the modern buckle. The classic buckle makes the leather all bent and wears out faster. It gives it a more polished look and keeps it appearances, especially when wearing one with a tuxedo or suit.

Too bad there's no 42mm. I'm sure there will be some decent 3rd party band makers.

tag-heuer-carrera-calibre-16-daydate-41mm-black-dial-leather-strap.jpg

watch2015

macrumors newbie
Apr 5, 2015
NYC
Band confusion

I am planning on getting a 42 sport watch, will the classic buckle leather band work with it - attach to it without modifications? so I can switch back and forth between the sport band and the leather, and besides the saphire is there really much difference in the stainless steel and aluminum besides the weight, they are both likely to scratch, coorect?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
That's the thing. I wouldn't mind having the modern buckle. The classic buckle makes the leather all bent and wears out faster. It gives it a more polished look and keeps it appearances, especially when wearing one with a tuxedo or suit.

Too bad there's no 42mm. I'm sure there will be some decent 3rd party band makers.

That's called character ;)

----------

I am planning on getting a 42 sport watch, will the classic buckle leather band work with it - attach to it without modifications? so I can switch back and forth between the sport band and the leather, and besides the saphire is there really much difference in the stainless steel and aluminum besides the weight, they are both likely to scratch, coorect?

You're less likely to scratch the SS b.c of the sapphire. I Also have a strong feeling the aluminum will not look as nice in person as the renders. I really think it will look toyish.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

It'll attach without modifications, but the classic and modern buckles have polished chrome connectors (pictured below), which will clash badly with the matte aluminum case. I'd go with the leather loop on the Sport as it has no metal connectors. Otherwise, get the SS model if you really want the classic buckle.

apple-watch-band-adjustment.jpg

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
When I first viewed the classic and modern buckles when deciding on what watch to get if the 42mm is too big for me, I instantly preferred the modern buckle. Other than preferring the look of it, it felt weird to invest so much in a ground breaking new device and then to use a boring old normal strap - I wanted something interesting.

Then I came here and read that it is a more feminine strap, aimed more at women. I showed my wife the watch and her immediate reaction was "there is nothing feminine about that picture" and my father-in-law said "it looks elegant and minimalist".

I don't deny that the modern buckle may be more effeminate, but I'd like to think that it is generic enough to work for both sexes. I'm still more likely to buy it than the boring regular buckle.

Wallabe

macrumors 6502a
Mar 15, 2015
I really want to say "screw the aluminum, I'll get the SS black link band.", but then I can't really swap it out for anything other than the black sports band. But if I go with the SS (silver) link band, it'll look like a cheap Timex watch.

Timex-Mens-T78587-Classic-Digital-Dress-Stainless-Steel-Expansion-Band-Watch-P12998366.jpg

Ahhh! I can't decide. First world problem.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
When I first viewed the classic and modern buckles when deciding on what watch to get if the 42mm is too big for me, I instantly preferred the modern buckle. Other than preferring the look of it, it felt weird to invest so much in a ground breaking new device and then to use a boring old normal strap - I wanted something interesting.

Then I came here and read that it is a more feminine strap, aimed more at women. I showed my wife the watch and her immediate reaction was "there is nothing feminine about that picture" and my father-in-law said "it looks elegant and minimalist".

I don't deny that the modern buckle may be more effeminate, but I'd like to think that it is generic enough to work for both sexes. I'm still more likely to buy it than the boring regular buckle.

Some people simply lack the ability to discriminate what's feminine and masculine. However, a majority of responders are of the opinion that it's a feminine strap.

Mr.C

macrumors 603
Apr 3, 2011
London, UK.
Some people simply lack the ability to discriminate what's feminine and masculine. However, a majority of responders are of the opinion that it's a feminine strap.

It's got nothing to do with lacking the ability to discriminate what's feminine and what's masculine. It's just an opinion and obviously not one everyone agrees upon. It's certainly not a fact. Just because it's your opinion and that of others that's it's feminine doesn't mean that a man should not consider getting it. I don't think it's feminine and would certainly consider it if it was available for the 42mm model. It doesn't matter what other people think. At the end of the day each individual needs to make their own decision based on their own opinion.

chris975d

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2008
Georgia, USA
Big buckles on watches have always been considered feminine.

Nothing new here.

Do what?! Have you ever looked at the stock buckle, or some of the aftermarket buckles for a Panerai watch?! Panerai is about as overly masculine of a watch as you can get, and some of the buckles for them are as big as a half dollar.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
It's got nothing to do with lacking the ability to discriminate what's feminine and what's masculine. It's just an opinion and obviously not one everyone agrees upon. It's certainly not a fact. Just because it's your opinion and that of others that's it's feminine doesn't mean that a man should not consider getting it. I don't think it's feminine and would certainly consider it if it was available for the 42mm model. It doesn't matter what other people think. At the end of the day each individual needs to make their own decision based on their own opinion.

All of us have seen some rather nerdy looking individuals who dress dweebishly in our lifetime. Do you think those individuals dress that way on purpose? No, they simply lack the ability to see what they are. Same thing with some people lacking the ability to see feminine when it's clearly feminine to a majority of people.

Nevertheless, a majority of forum members are of the opinion that the Modern Buckle is a feminine strap. You, as a guy, are free to wear a feminine band. I don't care. It's a free country after all.

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
You, as a guy, are free to wear a feminine band. I don't care. It's a free country after all.

And yet, you spend so much time and effort proclaiming that the modern buckle is feminine. If you truly didn't care, then why post about it in every thread where the modern buckle is mentioned? I mean, really, why do you care to tell other people they are making this fashion faux pas? After all, it doesn't affect you.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
And yet, you spend so much time and effort proclaiming that the modern buckle is feminine. If you truly didn't care, then why post about it in every thread where the modern buckle is mentioned? I mean, really, why do you care to tell other people they are making this fashion faux pas? After all, it doesn't affect you.

Yeah. Without getting too personal, it does appear as if it is very important to him to define this buckle as feminine.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota

I'm just educating some members who might otherwise not be aware. I didn't realize either that it was a feminine band until I saw additional photos at different angles. It's not immediately apparent how large and feminine the clasp is from the stock photos.

iMas70

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
MA
I wonder if a simple way to answer the question will be to ask someone at Apple if the Modern buckle is for a male or female? I wonder what the answer would be.

Pinksteady

macrumors 6502a
Aug 19, 2008
I wonder if a simple way to answer the question will be to ask someone at Apple if the Modern buckle is for a male or female? I wonder what the answer would be.

I think this kind of missed the point - It is a question of taste - there is no absolute answer. Clearly this type of buckle has origins in female strap designs, but Apple will never state formally that it was designed for women. My opinion is that the buckle, combined with the black strap, is sufficiently modern in design that it could easily be worn by a man, but then again I've not seen one in person yet.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.